| FTBL How do you usually call plays for your team?

Question for some of the coaches in here, just curious how you go about getting the call out to your players, and the ways you ensure that they get it, and understand it as fast as possible? Also, curious as to how you watch the play unfold as a coach. Are you watching it back to front, or front to back? Personally, I watch it front to back. Reason being is because linebackers are my position group, and no matter what, my eyes are usually going to end up there as the play unfolds, also watch the D-line as well. I know what the backend of the defense is supposed to be doing, and of course.... I'll know when they didn't do it right.

We used hand signals/signs to get the play in and kids had wristbands. Examples would be one arm out was right and both was a left formation. Top of head was 0 and both knees was 9 and right hand out as a gun was rifle and both would be laser. Play call would it could be right rifle 09. 0 was a stop route by the outside WR with 9 being a takeoff from the slot. Clapping both hands overhead would be a tag to the backside post. We also used Texas- hook ‘em horns sign for a tackle pull run and Georgia- hike leg like a dog for guard pull run. Having been a QB and coached QBs and WRs, I prefer watching from behind the offense to see the play/blocking unfold.

It's beautiful to watch a play set up from that vantage point. If you're high enough in the stands (and I am), the side/rear vantage point becomes less important to be able to anticipate plays playing out.
I was in the end zone when Shaud broke his 80 yard run at Arkansas...I still get chills thinking about watching that play break.

When I coached, we always used hand signals for the offensive formation and wristbands for the plays. On defensive we called everything with hand signals to align the DL, a blitz and coverage for the DB's. We also used a color that started with the letter B to signify a change of play at the line of scrimmage. Kids pick up on it quickly for the most part. You teach and reteach these daily until it becomes second nature. Some coaches will have 5-10 plays scripted that the entire offense knows what is being run at the beginning of the game.

Based on defense and how they're setting up. What's funny is I usually can tell who's about to blitz and who's playing coverage by their stances. If I can tell what's happening pre snap, then coaches can as well.
I built a website back in the Shula era for an Oklahoma site. I didn't play football..but could call every one Stoops routes,

BTW, you want to talk facilites. OU isn't in our league.

Back
Top Bottom