| OT This has nothing to do with the ADMIN of this site. I will pose a question. A snake doc and poison are, both ironically and coincidentally,

TerryP

Staff
linked.

I don't have any problems with snakes. I just watch them to make sure what distance I have to maintain.

I do have a problem with poison. It kills things.

So, as a PSA...

If you see something you see as poisonous to this community, kill it.

A year or so ago I was out biking at 2-3 in the morning. I came across a copperhead crossing the road. I stopped, through my bike light on it at full blast...and then comes a 2500 and runs over it just to see it flip in the air. (Yeah, he stopped and looked back.)

I watched that snake squirm...already dead, but squirming

It's February. There aren't any snakes outside. I still would love to see one squirm.

I grew up killing snakes on dirt roads. You have to have it locked up when you cross the snake...
Snakes shed skins. Some snakes, put on skins.

I don't study a snake's profile...not really interested in their colors, ya know? I do pay attention to the signs of poison.

I looked at one profile which included doc in the email address. They'll need to reset their password which will lock down their IP.

Like I said...it's comedy to me.

Chrome, has this feature that prompts compromised passwords. Analogy to a 5000K puzzle.

Where I grew up in Henry county Alabama, there used to be a eastern diamond back rattlesnake that stretched across the dirt road. Had to be at least 12’ long. Ran over it with my car one day and kept going. I wasn’t about to get out and check on it but saw it keep slithering across the road. Went home and got my 12 gauge and when I got back to the place he was gone. Tracked it with Daisy and Bear my Blue tick hounds for about a half mile but never saw it again.

I got tired of his bullshit and blocked him!

On another note, the neighbor across from my Dad had a scare Saturday night. Other neighbors called my dad to see what all of the commotion was with police, county sheriff’s, paramedics, and a fire truck all across the road. My dad went over to investigate and he noticed all of these first responders with flashlights/spotlights. He asked what they were looking for and one of them said, this Copperhead that “bit your neighbor’s daughter in law!” My dad said for 74 years old, he was “still able to pick them up and put them down like he was running the floor officiating a basketball game!” First weekend in February shouldn’t be worrying about snakes!!
Last January, I was hunting below my house when I took a shot at a really nice buck from some 350+ yards away. The entire week before had been Low’s in the 20’s and High’s in the High 30’s to Low 40’s. As I searched for blood, I climbed down into a ditch and up the other side. As I was getting to my feet, I noticed a Water Moccasin less than 5 feet from me. Now they are generally more aggressive than most other snakes. I stood up and took a step back and took my rifle off of my back to shoot. He took off going away from me and I jumped that ditch headed the other direction. Turns out that I missed that buck but was fortunate to get him 2 weeks later. IMG_5108.jpeg

Last edited:
It's February. There aren't any snakes outside.
Well, maybe not in SC but here it North Alabama.....
IMG_1740.jpg

And a zoomed in view
IMG_1739.jpg

And this past January, a cottonmouth.
39E5B5C8-AD98-4DD3-871A-484E8B4C4A08_1_105_c.jpeg

I think in both cases we had a warm couple of days and these two got out of their den a little to far to return when it turned cold again. The rattlesnake never uncoiled but it was around 28 degrees that morning when we came across him.

The cottonmouth laid there while I watched him and when I started moving to get around him, he showed me his trademark namesake.

On another note, the neighbor across from my Dad had a scare Saturday night. Other neighbors called my dad to see what all of the commotion was with police, county sheriff’s, paramedics, and a fire truck all across the road.
In the last 48 hours I've read an article about a young girl, three, four years old evidently, who was bitten by a snake and bit it back.

The neighbors heard her scream and ran over to find out what was wrong...they found the girl sitting on the ground with the snake in her mouth. Evidently, she tried to kiss it, it bit her, and she...well, bit back.
I think in both cases we had a warm couple of days and these two got out of their den a little to far to return when it turned cold again.
I'm sure they are still active here. I haven't seen any in a few weeks in the areas where I always watch. We're hitting the mid-70's this weekend...I know I can find some, if I chose.

In the last 48 hours I've read an article about a young girl, three, four years old evidently, who was bitten by a snake and bit it back.

The neighbors heard her scream and ran over to find out what was wrong...they found the girl sitting on the ground with the snake in her mouth. Evidently, she tried to kiss it, it bit her, and she...well, bit back.

I'm sure they are still active here. I haven't seen any in a few weeks in the areas where I always watch. We're hitting the mid-70's this weekend...I know I can find some, if I chose.
I got a story. When I was living in Harvest, AL. I had a small house out in the country, perfect for the bachelor. Anyway, It was Saturday morning and I was getting ready to clean the house up and I decided to take the trash out. Instead of going through the garage door which was located in the kitchen, I decided to walk through living room to the front door. I opened the door and it immediately slammed back. I thought it was weird, and decided to check it out on way back in. After dumping the trash, I walked back to the door and I see the snake stuck in the glass door hinges and it was dead. I realized that it was trying to get in the house where the heat was and I just happened to open the door at that moment. If I had waited 30 minutes or so, I believe Me and my girl would've been bitten as soon we opened the door. It was a rattlesnake.

I got a story. When I was living in Harvest, AL. I had a small house out in the country, perfect for the bachelor. Anyway, It was Saturday morning and I was getting ready to clean the house up and I decided to take the trash out. Instead of going through the garage door which was located in the kitchen, I decided to walk through living room to the front door. I opened the door and it immediately slammed back. I thought it was weird, and decided to check it out on way back in. After dumping the trash, I walked back to the door and I see the snake stuck in the glass door hinges and it was dead. I realized that it was trying to get in the house where the heat was and I just happened to open the door at that moment. If I had waited 30 minutes or so, I believe Me and my girl would've been bitten as soon we opened the door. It was a rattlesnake.
Something similar ...

We were in a bar in Summerville called, "Two Keys." Just having a few beers, playing pool, etc. A couple of ladies were leaving, we heard them scream...and come to find out there was an 8' alligator outside the front door.

NOW...this is in a strip mall: Food Lion being the main tenant. We had to leave the bar through the back door to get to the truck...I posted a pic of the gator on the non-sports board several years ago.

Was a forester for 40+ years...seen em all...Eastern..western..timber- ratters...cottonmouth's ( worked in Leaf River and Strong River swamps in Mississippi)...copperheads...pigmys ratters.....
Name it...struck at. Never hit..
Common demoninators of snake bites...
.......alcohol
.......trying to catch snake
.......trying to kill snake
.......lack of understanding and respect
And
.......hey bubby..watch this....stupidity

Could tell more stories then ever wanna here...and in southeast. They always be out...

I worked at Fort Rucker in Alabama building stat targets and running targets. We had to take a course in snakes and be able to identify the dangerous ones. The class instructor said they come out in the cold if the sun is out to sun bathe. And if we got off of dozers or any other equipment we’re to inspect it before climbing on cause they will get up there because the heat radiating from machinery. That place was ate up with rattlesnakes and moccasins.

The timber rattlers would come out and attack the Vibratory roller’s cause of the ground pounding.

I worked at Fort Rucker in Alabama building stat targets and running targets. We had to take a course in snakes and be able to identify the dangerous ones. The class instructor said they come out in the cold if the sun is out to sun bathe. And if we got off of dozers or any other equipment we’re to inspect it before climbing on cause they will get up there because the heat radiating from machinery. That place was ate up with rattlesnakes and moccasins.

The timber rattlers would come out and attack the Vibratory roller’s cause of the ground pounding.
I used to deliver Coca Cola products to Ft. Rucker. Specifically Hanchey field, the officers club(can’t remember what it was called) the commissary and a lot of other places. The same sob mp saw me 3 times a week at Hanchey and I had to provide why I was there(hello, big red truck) my id, ssnumber and he would take a picture of the invoice. Protocols, I know.

I have no idea whether the user name has any connection with this bit of Alabama folklore, but when I was a kid in Tuscaloosa, some of the black folks referred to dragonflies as "snake doctors" in the belief that the insects landed on snakes to cure them of diseases.

Back
Top Bottom