| FTBL What a 5 core things Deboer will need at Bama?

mando

Was just thinking about this today. What are the 5 core things you feel are required for Deboer to be viewed as or be successful at Bama? Another way to ask is what does Deboer need to do to sustain the Bama standard (is it even possible).

My list

1. Start with the obvious first one - Win Championships :) - the next items are the core of how he gets there.
  2. Recruiting at an elite level so Bama continues to have elite talent.
  3. Show the players how being part of his program will get them to the NFL. Keep the NFL pipeline going. This resonates with recruits. See #2 :).
  4. Focus on the next play attitude. - control what you can control.
  5. Play with great effort, discpiline and be well prepared in all three phases. - Using CNS terminology - dominate the guy in front of you and make their ass quit.

I'll go with a couple that I mentioned before he was hired, then add to it to make it 5...

1. Adjust his commitment to defense with the move to the SEC. This may have been my biggest concern. Apparently it was his as well, at least to some degree... there's a reason he brought almost all the offensive staff, but has taken his time piecing together an SEC caliber defensive staff. I feel much better about where that side of the ball is headed, but I also need to see it in action in '24 too before this concern is marked off the list.

2. Overcome and embrace the pressure and spotlight that comes with being the Alabama head coach. This might be easy for him, but with his outgoing personality, there's going to have to be times he tells people no, if for no other reason than time management. Also, every decision he makes will be scrutinized unlike anything he's ever seen. He achieved royalty status the second he set his foot on the Tuscaloosa tarmac Friday night. That crown will get heavy at times... for him, and his family. But it can also be rewarding. How does he handle it?

3. Develop recruiting relationships. I think he will be ok here, but it still takes time. One downside of bringing staff with him from UW, they don't exactly have a pipeline to the south (though they have recruited guys down here before). The good news is, keeping guys like Gillespie and Roach will keep the recruits flowing and some relationships intact. A lot of the off-field staff is staying as well, and they are a huge help in that area. His right hand man, Courtney Morgan will be building bridges for DeBoer quickly too. This is a very short term concern. Long term, he's going to be just fine.

4. [Along the lines of #3] Adapt to the SEC cut-throat style of recruiting and NIL. Saban will be a great source of info and direction for him in this realm, but he's going to have to prove he can adapt and play the game, even if it's uncomfortable at times. He hasn't seen anything before like he's going to see at Alabama and within the SEC with regards to NIL, recruiting, and tampering.

5. Do things his way. He isn't Nick Saban. The levels of success Saban reached at Alabama will never be seen again. Even if Saban had stayed for a few more years, I stated recently that my O/U on future national titles for him was .5. The SEC adds two traditional powers next season. The playoffs expand to 12 teams. It will be harder than ever to finish on top. But, DeBoer is a proven winner. And he's won doing it his way. He can't change that now. It'll mean tough decisions on personnel within the building (some of which have already been made). It'll mean changing the way things have been done in and around the Mal Moore building for 17 years. It'll mean doing exactly what Saban did when he replaced Shula... Getting everyone pointed in his direction and culling the others. Do that, and he will keep on winning.

2. Overcome and embrace the pressure and spotlight that comes with being the Alabama head coach. This might be easy for him, but with his outgoing personality, there's going to have to be times he tells people no, if for no other reason than time management. Also, every decision he makes will be scrutinized unlike anything he's ever seen. He achieved royalty status the second he set his foot on the Tuscaloosa tarmac Friday night. That crown will get heavy at times... for him, and his family. But it can also be rewarding. How does he handle it?
☝️

3. Develop recruiting relationships. I think he will be ok here, but it still takes time. One downside of bringing staff with him from UW, they don't exactly have a pipeline to the south (though they have recruited guys down here before). The good news is, keeping guys like Gillespie and Roach will keep the recruits flowing and some relationships intact. A lot of the off-field staff is staying as well, and they are a huge help in that area. His right hand man, Courtney Morgan will be building bridges for DeBoer quickly too. This is a very short term concern. Long term, he's going to be just fine.

It was announced today that DeBoer will be a headline speaker at the Alabama High School Football Coaches Association Convention on Jan 25th.

5. Do things his way. He isn't Nick Saban. The levels of success Saban reached at Alabama will never be seen again. Even if Saban had stayed for a few more years, I stated recently that my O/U on future national titles for him was .5. The SEC adds two traditional powers next season. The playoffs expand to 12 teams. It will be harder than ever to finish on top. But, DeBoer is a proven winner. And he's won doing it his way. He can't change that now. It'll mean tough decisions on personnel within the building (some of which have already been made). It'll mean changing the way things have been done in and around the Mal Moore building for 17 years. It'll mean doing exactly what Saban did when he replaced Shula... Getting everyone pointed in his direction and culling the others. Do that, and he will keep on winning.
I believe this is the most important.

That is one of the one's I thought about almost immediately after hearing of his "personality". He will need some solid handlers like CNS had and it will certainly keep him from having to be the one to say, "no". I have heard on more than one occasion that CNS's handlers were harder to deal with than the Coach himself. I understand that was likely by design as CNS would have had their asses in a sling behind the scenes but its the kind of handlers CKD needs.

That is one of the one's I thought about almost immediately after hearing of his "personality". He will need some solid handlers like CNS had and it will certainly keep him from having to be the one to say, "no". I have heard on more than one occasion that CNS's handlers were harder to deal with than the Coach himself. I understand that was likely by design as CNS would have had their asses in a sling behind the scenes but its the kind of handlers CKD needs.

Josh Maxson (PR) and Ellis Ponder (RHM) were the 2 that kept people at bay for Saban. Supposedly, both are being retained... not sure if they'll keep their same positions... if so, both are damn good at their jobs. One thing is for sure, they would be working for a guy with a completely different personality and temperament. It's going to be like working with the lion at the zoo then going to work with a koala.

Josh Maxson (PR) and Ellis Ponder (RHM) were the 2 that kept people at bay for Saban. Supposedly, both are being retained... not sure if they'll keep their same positions... if so, both are damn good at their jobs. One thing is for sure, they would be working for a guy with a completely different personality and temperament. It's going to be like working with the lion at the zoo then going to work with a koala.
Smart move to keep Ellis.

An important thing he will need is patience from the fanbase. Not saying we won't, but we might not have a top 2-3 recruiting class next year. We might take a step back before moving back forward. What Nick done in the time he was here was indescribable. We were fortunate to be a part of a very special time in Alabama football. I'm not saying that Alabama will fall on hard times, but coaches like Nick do not grow on trees.

I think the biggest thing he’s going to need is is the ability to ignore the fanbase at times because at times this fanbase can be something
I would say he does not need to be tone deaf and needs to embrace the value the fanbase brings other than that, he needs to flat out ignore us. No decision should be made to appease some fan runing his mouth. Oh and you know Paul Finebaum will run his mouth. Embrace him if it helps Bama otherwise screw him.

Back
Top Bottom