| FTBL Honest non bias look at this years team

Nick had stated a time or two that this version of The King is a work in progress and he's not one to BS us. I thought we've would be a little better at safety and ILBer this go around with #10 in town and perhaps we are at one of those spots. I believe we're good enough (if we play well) to beat anybody on our schedule but we can also lose to some of these folks as well. Nick doesn't tend to replace starters during the year so it's possible those current starters stick. I had hoped we had some young folks in the interior DL that would come and challenge #94 and #48 but maybe not.

Nick had stated a time or two that this version of The King is a work in progress and he's not one to BS us. I thought we've would be a little better at safety and ILBer this go around with #10 in town and perhaps we are at one of those spots. I believe we're good enough (if we play well) to beat anybody on our schedule but we can also lose to some of these folks as well. Nick doesn't tend to replace starters during the year so it's possible those current starters stick. I had hoped we had some young folks in the interior DL that would come and challenge #94 and #48 but maybe not.

#48, Phil Mathis, is playing well every week. He doesn't need replaced. He's part of a really good rotation.

Has Eboigbe played less recently? He's generally very very solid.

Byron Young has been excellent.

I did see LaBryan Ray this past week play some.

Some of the young DTs need to step it up - Tim Smith, Jamil Burroughs - or guys who haven't played yet. Smith was not good vs. Florida at all.

#48, Phil Mathis, is playing well every week. He doesn't need replaced. He's part of a really good rotation.

Has Eboigbe played less recently? He's generally very very solid.

Byron Young has been excellent.

I did see LaBryan Ray this past week play some.

Some of the young DTs need to step it up - Tim Smith, Jamil Burroughs - or guys who haven't played yet. Smith was not good vs. Florida at all.

I remember hearing Smith's name on TFL or sack, but I've not looked at his play overall.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I will ask it here. Saban mentioned this and we all noticed it Saturday, but our defense was worn out by the third quarter. I understand they played a lot of snaps. I saw the snap count in the other thread. Is this something to be concerned about going forward? We've talked before about Bama's excellent conditioning program under Rhea, and we supposedly have depth at every position of the defense. So why were our guys struggling against Florida? Is it a conditioning issue? A depth issue? Was it more related to the weather and the heat? I understand that 70 snaps is a lot for these guys to play, but I also know that we have played games where the defense was out there for 90 plays or even 100 plays, and it wasn't that bad. I'm just asking a question.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I will ask it here. Saban mentioned this and we all noticed it Saturday, but our defense was worn out by the third quarter. I understand they played a lot of snaps. I saw the snap count in the other thread. Is this something to be concerned about going forward? We've talked before about Bama's excellent conditioning program under Rhea, and we supposedly have depth at every position of the defense. So why were our guys struggling against Florida? Is it a conditioning issue? A depth issue? Was it more related to the weather and the heat? I understand that 70 snaps is a lot for these guys to play, but I also know that we have played games where the defense was out there for 90 plays or even 100 plays, and it wasn't that bad. I'm just asking a question.

It is a real concern. Humidity was awful on Saturday and I get it but we have enough depth that they shouldn't be that bad. I think that Florida's oline just flat got after them. The OC kept them running right and left chasing runners out wide and then dumping it over their head every now and then.
To me, the style of plays they were defending, the humidity, the lack of success and the time on the field had more to do with them getting worn down that the number of plays that they faced. Remember some of the times they faced 90 plays and such they were in a dome or at night.

Reguardless, I would expect some serious conditioning work for all over the next couple weeks..lol

@Crtuneman To beat a dead horse, I think it is several factors that played into it. As you mentioned the heat/humidity, the plays UF ran. etc.

I think the biggest factor is/was the fact we couldn't get off the field. This situation is eerily similar to the issue we faced against Clemson in the National Championship game in Tampa. If the defense does it's job and gets off the field. Everything else takes care of itself.

Mullen came into the game with the plan of 4 downs to keep himself in it. He opened up his entire playbook and tried to wear us down. It worked a good bit early on. The defense scheme was terrible you could tell they had no clue what Florida was doing. We played a game where we relied on athleticism vs scheme and we won. We can’t do that every week but it worked this week. I expect the defense will be better prepared for the Ole Miss game, but Kiffin is great at installing new plays during the weeks leading up to games so we will need to put Corral on his ass to slow them down. Something we didn’t do much vs Florida.

On offense we didn’t really get fancy with the plus too much outside the Billingsley touchdown play so there’s a lot more to the playbook here we haven’t seen and neither have our opponents. I know this week will be bland but Ole Miss will tell us more. I hope Bryce is up to the task, we need 1st quarter Bryce for 60 minutes for the rest of the season

It is a real concern. Humidity was awful on Saturday and I get it but we have enough depth that they shouldn't be that bad. I think that Florida's oline just flat got after them. The OC kept them running right and left chasing runners out wide and then dumping it over their head every now and then.
To me, the style of plays they were defending, the humidity, the lack of success and the time on the field had more to do with them getting worn down that the number of plays that they faced. Remember some of the times they faced 90 plays and such they were in a dome or at night.

Reguardless, I would expect some serious conditioning work for all over the next couple weeks..lol

I don't think their line got after us to a point of beating us, but when you have three straight three and outs on offense in a humid Florida weather type of situation it'll wear you down on defense. I think our quick start shows they weren't pushing us around, but as the game progressed we lost our wind. Not something unheard of when the offense is off the field in a matter of a couple of minutes for an entire quarter.

The other thing I would point out is we should have subbed in some guys. If we got that tired, we have depth for a series atleast to give guys a breather. Hopefully the coaches learned this and that the subs couldn't have faired any worse than a 99 yard touchdown drive given up by the starters. Unsure of why Dallas Turner, Braswell, Kool-Aid, Moody/Blackshear/Lee, and others weren't in more. Like I said, couldn't have fared much worse, and maybe they light a fire under the defense by stepping up when it's their time to shine. We were on our heels and the defensive staff made zero changes.

I don't think their line got after us to a point of beating us, but when you have three straight three and outs on offense in a humid Florida weather type of situation it'll wear you down on defense. I think our quick start shows they weren't pushing us around, but as the game progressed we lost our wind. Not something unheard of when the offense is off the field in a matter of a couple of minutes for an entire quarter.

The other thing I would point out is we should have subbed in some guys. If we got that tired, we have depth for a series atleast to give guys a breather. Hopefully the coaches learned this and that the subs couldn't have faired any worse than a 99 yard touchdown drive given up by the starters. Unsure of why Dallas Turner, Braswell, Kool-Aid, Moody/Blackshear/Lee, and others weren't in more. Like I said, couldn't have fared much worse, and maybe they light a fire under the defense by stepping up when it's their time to shine. We were on our heels and the defensive staff made zero changes.
That's my question. I thought we had excellent depth on the DL. Young, Smith, Mathis, Eboigbe, Dale, Burroghs, even Wynne. Of course Ray is injured so that hurts the depth, but still we should have plenty of guys to rotate in so we don't get gassed.

On offense, they faced Grantham the Florida DC who will blitz and bring numbers into the box more than probably any DC. And Florida has good DL and really good cover DBs. I hope this can be a good learning experience for BoB if another team tries this approach (like OM, or A&M perhaps). OM has improved D, but they don't have the same players UF does to cover as well if they bring blitzes and extra guys in the box.

I actually expect the run game to improve quite a bit the next 2 weeks and help Bryce and Co to be even more potent.

I actually expect the run game to improve quite a bit the next 2 weeks and help Bryce and Co to be even more potent.

I was looking at the stats, and Brian Robinson averaged over 5 yards a carry. The way some folks spoke on here it was if we had zero room to run, but Robinson was grinding out some yards from the statistical prospective. I've had so much happen in the last few days that my mind from last weekend is nowhere to be found, but did we get away from the run? Robinson's stats show he was getting his yards. You have to wonder why we didn't grind out the clock more with him.

I was looking at the stats, and Brian Robinson averaged over 5 yards a carry. The way some folks spoke on here it was if we had zero room to run, but Robinson was grinding out some yards from the statistical prospective. I've had so much happen in the last few days that my mind from last weekend is nowhere to be found, but did we get away from the run? Robinson's stats show he was getting his yards. You have to wonder why we didn't grind out the clock more with him.

I'm in the same boat. Watched the game with a group of folks (non Bama fans) and my focus on the details waned once it hit 21-3. It then picked back up when everyone got engaged again once Florida scored before halftime.

2nd half was crazy. The Bama offense had 3 TOTAL 2nd half drives. All were successful - 75 yard TD, 75 yard and a FG when it stalled at the 1, and a drive to milk the clock. Now, I don't know that each drive exhibited a great or incredibly efficient running attack, but it wasn't inept from what I recall.

Our D-line got worn down and as you and some others have said we didn't sub enough. We need to get it fixed quick though.. I dont know if you have watched Ole Miss but they basically run this same offense at Nascar speed.. so we need to quit making excuses and figure it out. They played Tulane who looked to have a solid defense for a smaller school and laid 60 on them before the middle of the 3rd quarter. Also, you dont just have to stop them on 3rd down but on 4th too as they go for it a bunch.

Adjustments on the Oline have to happen. Our whole right side of the o-line should have been wearing a funny hat and screaming.......
"O-LAY"everytime the ball was snapped. I saw where somebody wrote about Brian Robinson and 5 yards per carry.. and I agree he was running hard. Maybe if we run it a little more it will slow down the people coming thru the open gate that is the right side of our line.

I would really like to know what Nick's reaction was when he and the defensive coaches watched the tape of the UF game. I would think Sal was the only guy to get two cookies while the rest got none

We only have 1 1st rounder on this years team (goes to the NFL this year) and that is the big OT.

Sal...OLB
Pete..ILB
Freddy...DL
Charles...safety
Jay....CB's

Yawl still talking about the UF game? It is Wednesday lol. when it comes to OM pretty sure Saban will tell the OC be prepared to score 50+ if we can't find an answer on D. He will bake it in to turn everyone loose and let the chips fall.

I would really like to know what Nick's reaction was when he and the defensive coaches watched the tape of the UF game. I would think Sal was the only guy to get two cookies while the rest got none

We only have 1 1st rounder on this years team (goes to the NFL this year) and that is the big OT.

Sal...OLB
Pete..ILB
Freddy...DL
Charles...safety
Jay....CB's
There are several first rounders in that group, it's just most of them are very young.

Back
Top Bottom