| FTBL Honest non bias look at this years team

I rewatched the game this morning and I don’t see after three weeks who is on our level. Even with mistakes we beat a really good Florida team. This isn’t sunshine pumping or crimson glasses.

I don’t understand the “Golding didn’t make any adjustments” thing because it’s not true. Players missed assignments and there were so so many missed tackles.

As @TerryP said there was never a point yesterday and even more so after watching it again where I was worried about the outcome
Excuse me while I try and get my bullshit detector turned off

On those specific plays sure. What about the other 50 plays? That is all I am pointing out. #8 has did well last year and has done well this year in my view up until this game. Pretty sure you can say many players did not have their best game on defense in that game.

I am hoping that several of our Offensive linemen just had and off day too..lol! They got their ass whooped by a very average but experienced defensive line all day long.

I will have to say that I am glad to win ugly rather than lose. Hopefully, we can find some fixes to all these issues.

I’ll say this, if they hadn’t f’d up their 2 point conversion, OT would have made me very anxious. They clearly had the momentum at that point.
Yeah that would have been uneasy to say the least. I do believe our offense moved the ball in the 2nd half so we could have scored in OT just not sure we would have stopped them. Might have come down to whoever made the mistake.

Yeah, we have weaknesses that were exposed, and we'll work on them. Every big year has some near misses (Ole Miss and UF last year, TN in '09) where you can look back and say we dodged a bullet, or missed years (2010 where we come up short multiple times). The rushing D was giving me fits, but that TD drop all alone was completely maddening. I hated it for him because he's worked and contributed within his capabilities since his freshman year, but you just can't leave points like that. I think his punt return chances will continue to drop, and I'm curious if his overall playing time does as well.

I also agree, and noted it on a call with my buddy during the game, WRs just aren't as open, and that's more due to the excess speed (Ruggs, Smith, Waddle) and superior route running (Ridley, et al) that we've become absolutely spoiled with, along with a tendency toward slight underthrows by Young. We won't maintain 70% completion with contested balls.

We do have a tendency to critique to the extreme, though. We may be the only fanbase highlighted in the meltdown thread during a victory.

RTR,

Tim

Yeah, we have weaknesses that were exposed, and we'll work on them. Every big year has some near misses (Ole Miss and UF last year, TN in '09) where you can look back and say we dodged a bullet, or missed years (2010 where we come up short multiple times). The rushing D was giving me fits, but that TD drop all alone was completely maddening. I hated it for him because he's worked and contributed within his capabilities since his freshman year, but you just can't leave points like that. I think his punt return chances will continue to drop, and I'm curious if his overall playing time does as well.

I also agree, and noted it on a call with my buddy during the game, WRs just aren't as open, and that's more due to the excess speed (Ruggs, Smith, Waddle) and superior route running (Ridley, et al) that we've become absolutely spoiled with, along with a tendency toward slight underthrows by Young. We won't maintain 70% completion with contested balls.

We do have a tendency to critique to the extreme, though. We may be the only fanbase highlighted in the meltdown thread during a victory.

RTR,

Tim
I think we scored on the same possession that the end zone drop.....i think...

i believe the last possession we ended up with a FG...is the one that got me...
BY rolled out from inside 5 .... and tossed a incomplete....but looking...he had easy stroll to EZ....for TD... ( remember my feeble memory)

now i Feel he is instructed ...not to run and be in harms way.....
But you cant play worring about injuries... a TD locked the game up...
A FG made it reachable at 8

Florida was a very good running team. That's Mullen's game. Maybe our defense simply isn't built to stop the run anymore. Maybe we just have to live with that. But what concerns me is Ole Miss, which is an elite offense that can easily hang 50 on this defense. How will we slow down the Lane train? Will our offense be god enough to win another shootout? I'm not worried about LSU Or Texas A&M. I think our toughest game will be the landsharks. Or whatever they call themselves now. And I also think Tank Bigsby is the best RB in the SEC right now, and his backup is very impressive as well. Will we have a good game plan to stop Auburn's running game and force Bo to carry the team? I know it's a long season but those are the two teams I'm worried about.

Saw this posted on the Rant ...these post regarding Dan schooling Pete and Nick on Saturday.....

Not quite finished but my takeaway is actually a little different than what I first thought.

The narrative the last 24 hours has been that we were "bullied up front". I don't think that's the case at all. What we were was tentative against the read option, and almost every single one of Florida's runs the 2nd half were read option plays where we had a man in position to attack the mesh point and he didn't do it. Secondary to that, HTT/Harris got sucked into the LOS mess repeatedly, so anytime that our OLB/DE (Sanders/Braswell/Young) forced a give on the read option play...........there was nobody behind them to follow and drop the ball carrier.

TL/DR - The DL wasn't great but they weren't terrible. The biggest issues were tentative play by the OLB on the Read Option (which may actually be taught, thinking the ILB/S will fill in behind and take the ball carrier once the give is forced). On top of that, just quite frankly poor play by the ILBs and Hellams. We looked like we just got frozen by the read play early and we never recovered. And Mullen, smartly, based his entire 2nd half offense around the read option (read options, play action off what looked like read option, speed option off a read option look, etc).

Ole Miss' entire offense is based around Read Options (with more of a slant towards RPO and not traditional old read option). The good news is we got a wake up call and tons of film on our failures now. The bad news is we looked like we didn't have any f'in clue what to do against it up the middle (ILB, S).

Per my review

Florida Rush Breakout
Option (Speed/Read) : 18 carries, 131 yards (7.3 YPA)
QB Scramble : 2 carries, 20 yards (10.0 YPA)
Straight Run (QB/RB) : 21 carries, 88 yards (4.2 YPA)

I'm missing 2 runs and 6 yards in there somewhere, but you get the gist of it.

• 20 carries for 151 yards on Options/Scrambles (7.6 YPA)
  • 21 carries for 88 yards on straight run plays (4.2 YPA)

Saban teams have usually been known for strength up the middle. Nose-DT/MLB/Safeties. Yesterday that is where the gators ate our lunch.

#2 was a mess - bad read 1st step then could never get back in position. When he should force an outside release he kept allowing a quick release to the inside and got toasted.

#8 - about mid 2nd qtr UF started creating a false read 1st step by Harris then he was getting caught in the wash or out of position.

#10 - the false read issue that hammered Harris was also an issue for HT. his reaction was not as bad but it caused him to respond a little more slowly than normal and he would have to step back 2 or 3 steps to go around the OT attempting to seal block him. The result was and extra 3 plus yards beyond his normal reaction time to the ball carrier.

#50 was playing too high and got pushed or washed out of the play too often. This created quick hit holes for short yardage or a cut-back lane for bigger gains #94 did better at anchoring but never got much penetration.

All of these issues were generated intentionally by Mullen. Dan gave OM/AU/UGA a diagram to follow.

As noted, Florida only ran 5 speed/read option run plays in the 1st half. They ran 13 in the 2nd half.

Mullen either saw something in the 1st half or gameplanned multiple things to see how we reacted and then zeroed in on the read/speed play in the 2nd to effect our eyes and open the rest up.

The good news is - we won and we got great tape for veterans to review and work through. The bad news, what if it isn't fixable during the season for those 2 and their quick decision making?

Kiffin will absolutely test it early in 2 weeks. But with the added slant attached to it.

Another poster....

If you want to see what Mullen did to us with the option , go to 15 seconds left in the 1st qtr. This test play was repeated over and over the rest of the game and we never properly adjusted

quote:

The interior DL has the dive back, tackle him every time.

There was no dive back
quote:

The DE/OLB has the QB

Due to a Mullen choice of formation vs our tendencies - #14/#2 had the QB and CB and Mike LB have the pitch. Will LB should have the clean-up if the pitch back comes back inside.

#31 was basically playing a 5-tech DE pushing inside the OT. OT bump and RG reach to take him out of the play. Too much power for #31 to over come in that phone booth. OT slipped past #31 to seal off the Mike LB (#10). #10 looped deep to get past the OT seal put #10 5 yards deeper than he should have been and 12 yards away from the pitch back he should be chasing.

CB playing bump and run on WR. That took him out of the play for run support. Will LB (#8) went the wrong way. Away from the flow of the play. LG now between him and the play. #8 can no longer have ANY impact on the play unless he catches up 15 to 20 yards down the field.

#14 (in some cases later #2 did the same mistakes) got caught in no-mans land between QB and pitch back. QB cut up field. First contact with the QB was 5 or 6 yards beyond the LoS when the FS (#3), Nose (#94), and SAM (#20) from opposite side of the formation converged on the QB.
Mike LB (#10) was 3 to 4 yards further down field still being pushed by the OT seal block. Will LB (#8) was still a good 4 yards trailing the SAM (#20) who had to run around him to get to the play.

Had the QB pitched the ball, the pitch back would likely have gotten 2 or 3 yards more than the QB did. The QB got about 8 yards gain on the play.

quote:

IMHO, all our offensive problems come back to the poor offensive line play.

#71 & #70 got overpowered a lot. #70 and #55 got beat with quickness a lot. #79 got abused with speed and then with power when he started trying to jump out in anticipation of the speed. #73 looked to have had a pretty good game.

Someone else needs to step up at LG and RT when we face DL power and we want to run.

"#71 & #70 got overpowered a lot. #70 and #55 got beat with quickness a lot. #79 got abused with speed and then with power when he started trying to jump out in anticipation of the speed. #73 looked to have had a pretty good game.

Someone else needs to step up at LG and RT when we face DL power and we want to run."

Cohen may not have had a great game, but nobody is beating him out. He also made a great adjustment on a block on the last 3rd and 2 play which BRob got a first down to clinch the game. Cohen has a high ceiling too.

Owens at RT is another story - he's not a true RT and ideally JC Latham could earn that spot. Not sure if he will, but Latham has NFL physical attributes as an OT

I think we scored on the same possession that the end zone drop.....i think...

i believe the last possession we ended up with a FG...is the one that got me...
BY rolled out from inside 5 .... and tossed a incomplete....but looking...he had easy stroll to EZ....for TD... ( remember my feeble memory)

now i Feel he is instructed ...not to run and be in harms way.....
But you cant play worring about injuries... a TD locked the game up...
A FG made it reachable at 8
I probably should've gone and checked, but I thought it was a FG, but I think you're right. There is no doubt that Young has been heavily coached to not run. There will come a time when he will have to to win a game, and I think he'll do so convincingly.

Yeah that would have been uneasy to say the least. I do believe our offense moved the ball in the 2nd half so we could have scored in OT just not sure we would have stopped them. Might have come down to whoever made the mistake.
I was thinking along the lines of, we scored 1 TD in the last 3 quarters. I wasn’t feeling very confident that we could match them in OT touchdowns. I love our chances if it goes to field goals. Did I just say that?! 😂 But they definitely had the momentum and advantage on scoring TDs the last half of the game. (They scored the last 2 TDs of the game)

TL/DR - The DL wasn't great but they weren't terrible. The biggest issues were tentative play by the OLB on the Read Option (which may actually be taught, thinking the ILB/S will fill in behind and take the ball carrier once the give is forced). On top of that, just quite frankly poor play by the ILBs and Hellams. We looked like we just got frozen by the read play early and we never recovered. And Mullen, smartly, based his entire 2nd half offense around the read option (read options, play action off what looked like read option, speed option off a read option look, etc).

Does it even make sense that the inside backers would have pitch man? To me it would make more sense for the outside backer to take pitch man that would force the quarterback inside where the inside backer could clean him up instead of making the middle backer run all that way outside to catch the pitch back. That or the strong safety/STAR would come up to get the quarterback or pitch back. We ran the Wing T in high school, so therefor practiced against the option. It wasn't that difficult of a concept.

Florida was a very good running team. That's Mullen's game. Maybe our defense simply isn't built to stop the run anymore. Maybe we just have to live with that. But what concerns me is Ole Miss, which is an elite offense that can easily hang 50 on this defense. How will we slow down the Lane train? Will our offense be god enough to win another shootout? I'm not worried about LSU Or Texas A&M. I think our toughest game will be the landsharks. Or whatever they call themselves now. And I also think Tank Bigsby is the best RB in the SEC right now, and his backup is very impressive as well. Will we have a good game plan to stop Auburn's running game and force Bo to carry the team? I know it's a long season but those are the two teams I'm worried about.

"There are 4 possibilities in my opinion Florida this weekend. Ole Miss.. we don't have the offense to keep up in a shootout this year. Arkansas is Good on the line of scrimmage and tough(Awesome d coordinator). Auburn at Auburn always scares me especially with a young team.

My guess is we split these 4 maybe we lose Ole Miss and Arkansas. Would hate to lose to the boogs and a first year coach."

LOL... and this was exactly what I posted during a response at beginning of this thread as to what my concern was and was roasted for it... but I am with you.

Last edited:
"There are 4 possibilities in my opinion Florida this weekend. Ole Miss.. we don't have the offense to keep up in a shootout this year. Arkansas is Good on the line of scrimmage and tough(Awesome d coordinator). Auburn at Auburn always scares me especially with a young team.

My guess is we split these 4 maybe we lose Ole Miss and Arkansas. Would hate to lose to the boogs and a first year coach."

LOL... and this was exactly what I posted during a response at beginning of this thread as to what my concern was and was roasted for it... but I am with you.
Not buying we drop 2 out of 4. Crimson glasses maybe so.

Back
Top Bottom