| FTBL Honest non bias look at this years team

JMO but this game will give us a pretty clear understanding of how good this team really is at this time. Ole Miss will be the next hurdle with a completely different type of offense to have to contend with (I hate that hurry up BS). I was glad when both Hugh and Gus left town and now Lane is running that shit. Can #94 and #48 make it really difficult for the Gators to run the ball up the middle? Our ILBer's and OLBers should make it difficult for the Gators to get outside and run.

Can this OL move folks enough for our backs to make 1st downs? #1,#8,#10,and #18 need to play well and help #9 as much as possible.

We'll know much more about this bunch around 6PM on Saturday.

JMO but this game will give us a pretty clear understanding of how good this team really is at this time. Ole Miss will be the next hurdle with a completely different type of offense to have to contend with (I hate that hurry up BS). I was glad when both Hugh and Gus left town and now Lane is running that shit. Can #94 and #48 make it really difficult for the Gators to run the ball up the middle? Our ILBer's and OLBers should make it difficult for the Gators to get outside and run.

Can this OL move folks enough for our backs to make 1st downs? #1,#8,#10,and #18 need to play well and help #9 as much as possible.

We'll know much more about this bunch around 6PM on Saturday.

So what do we think now that we have played a decent team? I love my guys and happy to get the W but we are a championship quality team right now.

Last edited:
Like CNS said, the offense answered the bell every time. 3 tds dropped. Grantham stopped blitzing and started dropping 7 and BOB did not respond well in the play calling. BY is growing with every snap he takes. Couple of miscues from him but overall way more on the positive side than negative. IMO he played very well in a very hostile environment whrere the defense could not stop the UF momentum

Lots of folks want the 3-4 score beat down every game but CNS told you it ain’t going to happen. This defense has gotta find some guts at some point. Run defense was as poor as I’ve seen in a long time. Folks getting blown off the line and people trying to make reach tackles from their knees. Henry TT was very inconsistent today. Flashed excellence and looked lost on subsequent plays

So what do we think now that we have played a decent team? I love my guys and happy to get the W but we are a championship quality team right now.
I think you nailed it earlier in the week. I mistook Miami for being a good team and that’s been shown to be dead wrong. I bought into the reload mantra but the truth is that’s unfair to those who just left and to those who have replaced them. Even more so, it’s unfair to Coach Saban. We’re Bama fans so our expectations are always high but for us to think the Tide could lose players who were named the Heisman, the Hornung, the Belitnikoff, the Davey O’Brien, the Maxwell, the Doak Walker, the Outland Trophy, the Sporting News Player of the Year and Joe Moore Award winners … not to mention having five unanimous AA’s and another consensus AA plus two other Heisman finalists … and this year’s team NOT take a big step back is ridiculous. The good news is it doesn’t appear there are any elite teams this season. Perhaps this Tide team will find a way to win ugly a bunch but I’m not going to expect them to be anywhere close to last season’s juggernaut going forward.

Here is the real question. We have a serious deficiency in coaching and we need to figure out how to correct this. Will we demote Pete Golding? Will O'Brien change his philosophy? The real challenge is getting the coaches to do a better job on their part. Once we have the coaches doing their job correctly then we can worry about getting the kids to play correctly. This pitiful excuse for a performance is squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.

Coaching deficiency? I feel like I watched a completely different game. Seems to me Grantham sold out to stop the run and dare a freshman QB on his first road start to beat him through the air… with 3 TDs, 240 yards, and 0 INTs; I’d say he performed. When was the last time we as fans had a fresh, unpolished QB - Jalen Hurts first year? Young is the real deal and he’s learning quickly and he will most assuredly get better. Defensively - I saw a ton of missed tackles/assignments. That needs to be cleaned up. Momentum is a funny thing. Once Florida got some in that hostile environment, it was tough to overcome. A road win in the SEC - I’ll take it and let’s build. Our coaches are not a deficiency. They wouldn’t all be pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars if they were inept at their jobs. This team will improve and we’re still undefeated.

My take, I agreed with Gary when he said in the first half, Bama's athletes looked quicker then Florida's . The fact that this team built an astounding 21 - 3 lead against an excellent Gator team in that environment was telling, telling from the standpoint the potential this Bama team has to dominate their opponent in any situation . Both sides of the ball looked like a NC team for the first 20 minutes. However, whether it was complacency or a " this is gonna be easy" mental attitude, our play dialed down and gave the Gators hope. Had the offense continued their torrid pace and scored on just two more of their 2nd quarter possessions, this game wouldnt have even been close. First half defense looked quick and aggressive, 2nd half they were gassed. So the talent and potential is obviously there but this team has to grow up and realize that for more then a decade now, they have a huge target on their backs and have to know they are gonna get every teams best shot..... just because they are Bama. That is exactly why a game like this is invaluable, growth takes place only through adversity , not smooth sailing when things are to easy.

Always. No such thing as perfect team allthough we were close the last two years. I hate to say it but Georgia looks much more complete than us right now. Mainly because they are at least dominant somewhere.

That's one team that didn't score an offensive touchdown against Clemson and beat up on UAB and a rebuilding South Carolina team that has a first year coach and a quarterback we've all read the stories on by now. Their defense is definitely there. Their offense leaves A LOT to be desired. You are right, no super teams this year. This season it's a toss up, but our boys are right in the thick of it. We have a Top 2 team. Georgia and Alabama are ranked properly, and if it was allowed would have a few open spots between them and the next teams.

Don't forget, we were up 21-3 in the first quarter. I definitely think O'Brien took his foot off the pedal and Golding made zero adjustments which allowed Florida back in the game. We have the talent.

Here is the real question. We have a serious deficiency in coaching and we need to figure out how to correct this. Will we demote Pete Golding? Will O'Brien change his philosophy? The real challenge is getting the coaches to do a better job on their part. Once we have the coaches doing their job correctly then we can worry about getting the kids to play correctly. This pitiful excuse for a performance is squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.

I don't know if it a coaching call issue although I will say that I don't love O'brien's play calling but I will give him some time to find out what he has. I just think again we just aren't dominant anywhere offensively. Bryce is learning but misses throws we haven't missed here for a while. Running backs, we can't lean on and some of that is on the Oline which is really struggling. Florida's d-line dominated our O line and our defense looks like it has talent but no leadership.. no DOG. This is all I was saying earlier

The good news some of this is fixable with time. Someone can really step up on d and get a mean on to bring it all together. Bryce will never have the biggest arm but he can continue to develop and become more confident.. run it when it is there and get better with his placement. I think the running backs can improve if the Oline can figure out how to get the best 5 on the field and start moving some people off the ball.

We lost a ton over the last several years and it had to catch up at some point, We have been stock piling talent of the lines over the last several years in recruiting.. It's time they start stepping up.

Here's my 2 cents which is about all it's worth. (1) This team was well prepared for this game because all Nick Saban's teams are. Yes, they had some unfamiliar situations thrown at them but that happens every game. (2) This team has very little and I mean very little "leadership". This could be because of some not believing in or accepting the "process" or it could be due to youth and inexperience. That is yet to be seen. (3) During 45 minutes of this 60 minute game, Alabama was outplayed, outcoached, and out executed on the both sides of the ball but had enough grit to hang in there and win the game. (4) Anytime an Alabama team goes on the field everyone can be assured that 9 times out of 10 the opposing team will play their VERY BEST game of the season. It doesn't matter if it's Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson or even Mercer, New Mexico State or the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles coming to Bryant Denny this Saturday. They will probably play their "VERY BEST" football game of the 2021 season. Will that be enough? No. However, it will happen one day and yes the sports media will have a field day. Actually, it has already started even though Bama won the game. Just look at the headlines from ESPN, CBS, and other sport outlets. However, I agree with the article in the USA Today. " Don’t let Alabama’s close call against Florida lead you to believe Crimson Tide isn’t team to beat" (USA Today) RTR

Don't forget, we were up 21-3 in the first quarter. I definitely think O'Brien took his foot off the pedal and Golding made zero adjustments which allowed Florida back in the game. We have the talent.
To be fair - It wasn't just O'Brien. The Head Man threw it in neutral to end the half... Think about the message you're sending to the team... "Are we attacking, or being attacked?"

Back
Top Bottom