| MBB/WBB ESPN Sources: Bruce Pearl's job in jeopardy if he doesn't cooperate in Auburn investigation

17BAMA

Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school's internal investigation into his program, and university officials have advised him that his job is in jeopardy if he doesn't, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Auburn officials retained a law firm to conduct an internal investigation after former Tigers associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested on Sept. 26 as part of the FBI's probe into college basketball corruption. Person was indicted on six federal charges by a grand jury in New York on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN that Pearl has refused to talk to attorneys conducting the university's investigation, and they've been yet unable to determine if Pearl was involved in NCAA violations or other wrongdoing because FBI agents seized his computers and cell phones as part of their investigation.

Auburn officials haven't given Pearl a deadline to cooperate, but sources told ESPN that a decision on his future will be made in the next week or two.

Pearl, a former ESPN analyst, is set to begin his fourth season as Auburn's coach. The Tigers open the regular season against Norfolk State at home on Friday.

Auburn hired Pearl in March 2014, about five months before his NCAA show-cause penalty for violations committed at Tennessee was scheduled to expire. The Volunteers fired Pearl in 2011 after he lied to NCAA investigators about the recruitment of prospect Aaron Craft, who ultimately signed with Ohio State. The NCAA punished Pearl with a three-year show cause, which prohibited him from having contact with recruits during that time.

At the time of Pearl's hiring, Auburn athletics director Jay Jacobs said he believed Pearl "has learned from his mistakes."

"I've thought about this a great deal, and obviously so has Coach Pearl," Jacobs said at the time. "I believe people who are genuine and sincere deserve second chances. If I did not believe Coach Pearl's apologies were sincere and heartfelt, I would not have even considered him."

Jacobs announced last week that he'll step down as Auburn's athletics director on June 1. After inheriting a program that hadn't appeared in the NCAA tournament since the 2002-03 season, Pearl hasn't had much success. The Tigers are 44-54 overall during his tenure, have never finished better than 11th in the SEC and didn't play in the postseason in each of his three seasons.

Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley out of games indefinitely in an attempt to "avoid any potential eligibility issues."

"We are involved in an ongoing investigation to certify the eligibility of players," Pearl told ESPN's Jeff Goodman on Wednesday. "It's ongoing. I can't comment any further on it."

On the day Person was arrested, Auburn president Steven Leath told ESPN that someone with the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York told him that the university itself was not the target of the FBI's investigation.

"I think it says clearly that they don't think there's some structural problem or some broader problem at the university, that this was an isolated individual," Leath said. "I don't think anybody else knew. I don't think there's any indication at Auburn that anybody else knew about this."

Attorneys from Lightfoot, Franklin & White also were retained in August to conduct an investigation of Auburn's softball program, specifically whether former assistant coach Corey Myers engaged in inappropriate behavior with players. Myers resigned on March 30.

The law firm is also investigating whether a former part-time employee in the athletics department's academic services department took a final exam for a former football player, and the firm's lawyers are defending Jacobs, Auburn's board of trustees and other athletics department employees in a federal lawsuit filed by former baseball coach Sunny Golloway, who alleges that he was unjustly fired in September 2015 and is owed a $1 million buyout.

Last month, former Auburn track and field assistant coach Adrian Ghioroaie sued the board of trustees and assistant head track coach Henry Rolle in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, alleging he was wrongfully fired and that Rolle physically assaulted him.

Sources: Job at stake if Pearl doesn't cooperate

Bruce Pearl responds to ESPN report, not ‘concerned’ with job security

AUBURN, Ala. — Bruce Pearl met with local media members Wednesday afternoon, hours after an ESPN report claimed the Auburn basketball coach’s job was in jeopardy if he doesn’t cooperate with the school’s investigation into his program.

Pearl said that “everyone” was trying to get Auburn’s players eligible. Sophomores Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy are being held out indefinitely due to concerns about their eligibility following former assistant coach Chuck Person’s arrest on corruption charges.

“This is an ongoing investigation,” Pearl said. “Everybody is working to try to get our players certified and eligible. It’s a process. And you guys know from the very beginning, I’m not allowed to comment on the process. But we are definitely working through this.”

ESPN reported “a decision on [Pearl’s] future will be made in the next week or two.” When asked how he felt about his immediate job security Wednesday, Pearl said his feelings had not changed.

“I am not concerned… I am no more concerned than anybody else,” Pearl said. “We’ve got to get through this investigation, and I’m just looking forward to Friday night.”

Auburn basketball opens the season Friday night against Norfolk State at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m. CT. The Tigers lost an exhibition in overtime to Division II school Barry last Thursday, the day Wiley and Purifoy were ruled out indefinitely.

Wiley returned to practice this week for the Tigers, and he worked with the first team Wednesday. Purifoy stayed on the scout team.

“Their status hasn’t changed,” Pearl said. “Every day, we’re going through this process. Interviews and things like that. It is moving along at a pretty quick pace. But right now, there’s no change in their status.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-basketball-bruce-pearl-espn-report-job-security

from their forums:

Road Runner
All-American
Gold Member

Auburn Univ. counsel and Alabama football fan, Lee Armstrong is in the process of retiring, as his good buddy Gogue is gone and life just isn’t quite the same.

Apparently this is the guy pushing to fire Pearl, and it looks like it’s about to happen.

What a great way to go out— with all your Bama buddies patting you on the back every time you come to Tuscaloosa for a football or basketball game the rest of your life.

To be fair, I’m not sure where Leath stands in all this, but I can’t imagine he went to Armstrong and asked him to find a way to fire Pearl just as a search for the next AD is starting.

So, we lose the best thing to happen to Auburn basketball since Porter dunked us to a #1 seed and we see our AD pool shrink, because no top-level guy is going to want to step into an already precarious situation.

Sources told ESPN that Pearl has refused to talk to attorneys conducting the university's investigation, and they've been yet unable to determine if Pearl was involved in NCAA violations or other wrongdoing because FBI agents seized his computers and cell phones as part of their investigation.
I'm no lawyer but ...

For the FBI to seize Pearl's computers and cell phones (phoneS?) that tells me there's probable cause for them to do so, right?

From my point of view this tells me Pearl is a target of their investigation. Based on my limited knowledge I see no way his attorneys will allow (or can allow) him to be interviewed by any one or group. As one guy said last night it would basically mean he's (Pearl) waiving his rights and would open the door for him to incriminate himself. There's a big question of how much, if any, could be protected under client-attorney rights.

Justin Hokanson
First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member

[rant]

Jay Jacobs has resigned. It's fine. It can't get worse, right? Ha, you underestimate Auburn athletic department officials.

Auburn officials (led by Rich McGlynn) give BP and staff a deadline to interview. (That's a fact Mark Schlabach got wrong in his story. He reported no deadline was given. Incorrect. This makes it obvious the story was leaked by Auburn officials or Auburn lawyers. Good times.) The staff says no. THEY AREN'T REQUIRED TO INTERVIEW, KEEP IN MIND. Why would they? They have nothing to add to the Chuck Person saga, and they sure aren't going to admit to any wrongdoings happening in their program. So, Auburn officials are pissed. Cool. But is there anything to really be pissed about? Auburn wants to cover their ass, they want information, but BP and his staff aren't required to interview, and certainly don't have to interview right now. OK, so everybody take a deep breath. It's fine.

Nope. Let's flip the hell out, leak information to ESPN, and put our finger on the nuclear button that is firing BP. Because if that happens (not sure if BP would take a buyout and go quietly), you're going to have a ticked off BP that may very well sue Auburn, and if that happens, you'll have another sport with a fired coach, another sport with a lawsuit, and there's a good chance the NCAA comes knocking and says, "what the hell is going on down here? Let's take a look around." That sounds worst case, but that's very much a track we're on.

[/rant over]

Jay G. Tate
IT'S A TRAP!
Staff

I'm going to offer a bit more clarity on what's going on with basketball, but it's important that I note here at the top that this update WILL NOT answer all your questions. So don't @ me if you're dissatisfied with the depth of the information. You have been warned.

OK, so I mentioned Friday that there was a deadline Friday and that people inside and near the program were leery about the whole thing. Then Friday came and went. We've heard nothing.

The deadline, as best I can gather, is not related to the NCAA or even the FBI. The deadline was created by elements within the university, which want to sit down with some associated parties.

What's unusual here is that it was made clear to Pearl that he had until Friday to meet with the university folks and answer any questions they wanted to ask him. The situation typically doesn't become this adversarial. Everyone else in the coaching/operations sphere is (morally) compelled to follow the head coach's lead. So putting a deadline on Pearl is tantamount to putting a deadline on everyone.

As I understand it, the deadline expired without a meeting.

Why did the meeting fail to materialize? I don't have an official, vetted answer on that. My educated guess is that Pearl acted on the advice of counsel, which noted that Auburn's compliance department probably cannot legally compel Pearl to answer. The FBI is a different matter, but even then his cooperation there could be limited based on the fact that he hasn’t been charged with a crime. And it's plausible that information gleaned in the university interviews could affect things on the FBI front.

Auburn probably could choose to fire Pearl for insubordination, but that creates a whole separate issue that may be worse*.

So we have what appears to be a stand-off of sorts between Pearl (ie Pearl's legal representation) and the university, which is an extension of Auburn itself. It occurs to me that compliance czar Rich McGlynn and university president Steven Leath are not ones to back down.

With all that in mind, I view Pearl's situation at Auburn as a day-to-day thing. I can see him being fired for cause for not speaking with the compliance folks. I can see him reluctantly agreeing to answer certain questions and moving forward without additional trouble. And I guess the inquest could back down entirely.

I don't have a side here. I like Pearl and I like McGlynn. They're both very good at what they do.

* If Pearl is fired, who coaches this team? Chuck Person was the only other staffer with those kinds of qualifications. He's obviously not an option. The best thing for the program at this point, without a doubt, is for Pearl and his staff to remain in place doing their thing. Abruptly removing them from the equation will create a seismic event that could wreck the program for a long time to come.

My educated guess is that Pearl acted on the advice of counsel, which noted that Auburn's compliance department probably cannot legally compel Pearl to answer.

. Good times.) The staff says no. THEY AREN'T REQUIRED TO INTERVIEW, KEEP IN MIND.

So, an employee of Auburn is required to answer questions from their own compliance department? I mean...what?

Let's set aside that matters regarding the NCAA are based on cooperation. Instead, lets focus on what they are saying. Auburn doesn't have the right to interview one of its employees about another employee's rule violations?

This makes so little sense I'm tempted to simply call it bullshit.

So, an employee of Auburn is required to answer questions from their own compliance department? I mean...what?

Let's set aside that matters regarding the NCAA are based on cooperation. Instead, lets focus on what they are saying. Auburn doesn't have the right to interview one of its employees about another employee's rule violations?

This makes so little sense I'm tempted to simply call it bullshit.
Best guess, Terry. What do you think is going on there?

Beats the hell out of me. I can only speculate. It certainly appears their compliance knows what's going on and are just trying to cover their collectives asses.

The funny part to me--and it's SO Auburn--is they're trying to blame it on Bama--again.

Good thing Bruce Pearl didn't have any previous track record or a 3 year show-cause penalty. Hell Aurburn would have to be dumb to hire someone like that. No chance in hell they'd hire him while he's still under the show-cause right?

Shit, there were folks here willing to bring Pearl to Alabama. Wonder if they care to share their thoughts on this topic now.

My best guess is Pearson's was trying to work a suspected loophole in the NCAA rules at the request of Pearl. Pearson got involved in it and it helped him get a little extra cash which he passed on to the Players as a pay to play situation. Hence why the FBI seized Pearl's computer and cell phone to look and see if Pearson's story adds up. The feds will usually indicte flunkies and shake them down to get the dirt they really want.

My guess is Pearl knows he is busted and is refusing to cooperate to try and get fired and negotiate a buyout before the Feds bust him and he gets nothing. Aub's probably wouldn't mind that to show that they are being proactive in getting to the bottom of it..

I think this whole thing shows that the Auburn Athletic department has been run like Clinton Foundation for the last several years. There are skeletons wherever you dig.. you know

Try and remember that last year was the 1st winning season in BB for the Barn in the past 8 years. Hiring the guy wasn't that big a risk. JMO but it was All Reward and No Risk when he was hired.
When there were fans here wanting Bama to hire Pearl I was, and still am, of the opinion he's overblown as a head coach.

People continually point to his run at Tennessee as proof that he's a good coach but never take into account that Kentucky was down as a program when Tennessee was making their run through the SEC.

Justin Hokanson
First Round Draft Pick
Gold Member

[rant]

Jay Jacobs has resigned. It's fine. It can't get worse, right? Ha, you underestimate Auburn athletic department officials.

Auburn officials (led by Rich McGlynn) give BP and staff a deadline to interview. (That's a fact Mark Schlabach got wrong in his story. He reported no deadline was given. Incorrect. This makes it obvious the story was leaked by Auburn officials or Auburn lawyers. Good times.) The staff says no. THEY AREN'T REQUIRED TO INTERVIEW, KEEP IN MIND. Why would they? They have nothing to add to the Chuck Person saga, and they sure aren't going to admit to any wrongdoings happening in their program. So, Auburn officials are pissed. Cool. But is there anything to really be pissed about? Auburn wants to cover their ass, they want information, but BP and his staff aren't required to interview, and certainly don't have to interview right now. OK, so everybody take a deep breath. It's fine.

Nope. Let's flip the hell out, leak information to ESPN, and put our finger on the nuclear button that is firing BP. Because if that happens (not sure if BP would take a buyout and go quietly), you're going to have a ticked off BP that may very well sue Auburn, and if that happens, you'll have another sport with a fired coach, another sport with a lawsuit, and there's a good chance the NCAA comes knocking and says, "what the hell is going on down here? Let's take a look around." That sounds worst case, but that's very much a track we're on.

[/rant over]

Jacobs has turned in his resignation but he doesn't leave until June 2018. In other words, he still works there.

Back
Top Bottom