| FTBL Defensive Graphic

alabama mike

Just Win Baby!
I saw this graphic on another site and IMO, it speaks volumes about our defense. Granted the offensive side of the ball has changed during these years.

DCSeasonTotal DefenseRushing DefneseScoring Defense
Kirby2013111
Kirby2014574
Kirby2015313
Pruitt2016211
Pruitt2017111
Tosh/Pete2018161912
Pete2019133713
Pete2020321713
Pete20217418
Pete2022161520

...so, about the elephant in the room.

I'm not saying Golding is leaving - but there sure seems to be a chorus out there singing that tune.

Assuming CNS feels the same way - who do you feel would be the primary target at DC?

Thoughts one way or the other about the bald one who coached our most recent great defense?

Pros?
Cons?
Did he defile himself irreparably at UT?
Would we even consider his return?

If not him, then who?

1667928084446.png

...so, about the elephant in the room.

I'm not saying Golding is leaving - but there sure seems to be a chorus out there singing that tune.

Assuming CNS feels the same way - who do you feel would be the primary target at DC?

Thoughts one way or the other about the bald one who coached our most recent great defense?

Pros?
Cons?
Did he defile himself irreparably at UT?
Would we even consider his return?

If not him, then who?

View attachment 22527

Barring something unforeseen at this point, Golding will be moving on (it won't look like a "firing").

Saban would love to have Pruitt, but that is going to be really, really difficult to make happen to say the least. At best, UA might could push the boundaries and get him in as an analyst (which would be huge). Pruitt wants to come back, did last year too though. Takes more than that, and it's out of his (and even Saban's) hands. As for another option, I've been on the Schumann train for a while. I'd throw $1.6 at him (more if needed). He's been at Bama, went to grad school at Bama (met his wife while here). Knows the Saban system, and what's expected of him. He's been lauded as guy who does a great job teaching the defense and getting players to understand it (something that has been lacking at times). Perhaps most importantly, he's running the Saban system 2.0 right now, which he helped build with Kirby. I think (hope?) Saban may make an adjustment with this hire, the way he did when he brought in Kiffin as OC and changed the offense for the better. It's harder for him to make that change on defense, because that's his baby, but I think he knows he's going to have to be more flexible there if he's going to have the success that he wants to have.

@Brandon Van de Graaff what would Schumann bring that is new to Saban? I ask because it's not that I am seeing what he is doing that is any different than Saban's philosophy, he's just doing a better job.

I think the big one is slight changes in defensive coverage philosophies. Part of the belief being, more simplified = more effective. Also, don't gloss over better teacher. And sometimes it's not always the players that need to be taught, but the other position coaches.

Interesting. I would throw 2 million dollar at him. The thing is Kirby is going to do whatever he can to keep Glenn at Georgia.

I want Pruitt back but we gotta find a way to get him on staff... Even it means as an analyst... he won't directly work with players... just with coaches.

Another thing, did we have analyst who worked for Pruitt.... that knows the system?

The OC is wild card.. but I wonder what Saban is gonna do

I don’t understand why everybody wants Pruitt back? Maybe I’m missing something, but why regurgitate things? Plus it’s not like his defenses at UT was lights out.

I say throw $2mil to Schumann. I’m a big fan

Coordinator responsibilities aside, Saban was very high on his evaluations and his ability to adjust on the fly, which sort of is a DC responsibility but would also be very valuable as an analyst in the booth.

With his issues from UT would it be difficult to get him in as an analyst?

I'm honestly not 100% sure. I'd think it would still be difficult (and would certainly cause waves), but I'm not sure how much power the SEC would have to stop it. Sankey sure as hell hasn't proven to have much power to stop some other stuff, so at what point does Saban say, fuck it, we are bringing him in? UA Compliance/lawyers would be involved but I'd bet it's doable.

I'm honestly not 100% sure. I'd think it would still be difficult (and would certainly cause waves), but I'm not sure how much power the SEC would have to stop it. Sankey sure as hell hasn't proven to have much power to stop some other stuff, so at what point does Saban say, fuck it, we are bringing him in? UA Compliance/lawyers would be involved but I'd bet it's doable.
It doesn't look like he (Sankey) is going to be able to stop Freeze to the Barn, if Freeze decides to take it.

Back
Top Bottom