| FTBL Defensive Graphic

There is lot of talk to Freeze, but I don't think he actually goes. But here's the thing.. if Freeze takes the job... Sankey has no power to stop Pruitt from coming to Alabama. Saban knows that.

That's certainly part of the messy pie that could be served up. There is the thought that Freeze "served his sentence" but honestly, what difference does it make at this point? These guys were just a few years ahead of the game (and also sloppy). I will say there was pressure from other schools to keep Freeze out (AD's mostly), because he pissed some of them off with how the whole Ole Miss stuff went down. But that's not really an issue at this point. And I haven't heard the same type of stuff about Pruitt...

There is lot of talk to Freeze, but I don't think he actually goes. But here's the thing.. if Freeze takes the job... Sankey has no power to stop Pruitt from coming to Alabama. Saban knows that.
Did you see Freeze's answer after the Ark. game? Sounded like he wanted the AU job to me.

“I don’t know that Auburn wants me. I have no clue,” Freeze tells Brandon Marcello. “I know this: I have won everywhere I’ve been and my staff and kids have turned programs fast. It’s our culture that we instill. I know we do that and the proof is in the pudding.”

...so, about the elephant in the room.

I'm not saying Golding is leaving - but there sure seems to be a chorus out there singing that tune.

Assuming CNS feels the same way - who do you feel would be the primary target at DC?

Thoughts one way or the other about the bald one who coached our most recent great defense?

Pros?
Cons?
Did he defile himself irreparably at UT?
Would we even consider his return?

If not him, then who?

View attachment 22527
Only person I know of who has a threepeat on NC rings. 2011, 2012, Bama. 2013, FSU. This was back when the HUNH offenses were making defensive coaches pull their hair out. Might be why he is bald but he handled it very well.

Only person I know of who has a threepeat on NC rings. 2011, 2012, Bama. 2013, FSU. This was back when the HUNH offenses were making defensive coaches pull their hair out. Might be why he is bald but he handled it very well.
That was few years ago. Things have changed. I've always said just because Pruitt did great back then, doesn't mean he could be a good fit for today's scheme, but he would bring intensity and accountability.

With all the BS in the world going on, college football allowing the exact tactics used by Tennessee that got him fired, there should be zero reason to hold him accountable at this point. Hugh Freeze was back in no time making millions, but Pruitt all of s sudden has to face a firing squad to get back in? Petino, Bruce Pearl are coaching again.

On an OC note: it looks like Kliff Kingsbury May be unemployed soon.

Not predicting anything, but he's a name to watch. I do think he will probably choose to remain in the NFL though.

Pruitt currently does not have show cause.

Correct. One is coming, but he doesn't have it yet. Regardless, a coach can still be hired with one (although it does invite issues and added scrutiny). Sankey would 100% be against it, as would the Vols (and possibly some others in the conference). Question is, what could Sankey and the SEC ultimately do about it? Saban and Bama have always bent over backwards to appease Sankey, often times when it was against UA's best interests. With the way Sankey has allowed others to bend and break written (and unwritten) rules, how much longer should Alabama bend their knee? Sankey could (would) try and attach conditional threats/warnings to a Pruitt hire, but I'm also not sure how smart it would be on his part to poke the bear that has brought the SEC the honey pot for much of the last 15 years. In the end, Saban and Byrne are both professionals and not the type to go against the SEC grain... but with the way things are now with(out) rules, and looking around and seeing how some things have (and haven't) been handled throughout the league in recent years... at some point the straw breaks the camel's back. It's still more of a "hope" than a realistic scenario at this point though.

Not predicting anything, but he's a name to watch. I do think he will probably choose to remain in the NFL though.

Correct. One is coming, but he doesn't have it yet. Regardless, a coach can still be hired with one (although it does invite issues and added scrutiny). Sankey would 100% be against it, as would the Vols (and possibly some others in the conference). Question is, what could Sankey and the SEC ultimately do about it? Saban and Bama have always bent over backwards to appease Sankey, often times when it was against UA's best interests. With the way Sankey has allowed others to bend and break written (and unwritten) rules, how much longer should Alabama bend their knee? Sankey could (would) try and attach conditional threats/warnings to a Pruitt hire, but I'm also not sure how smart it would be on his part to poke the bear that has brought the SEC the honey pot for much of the last 15 years. In the end, Saban and Byrne are both professionals and not the type to go against the SEC grain... but with the way things are now with(out) rules, and looking around and seeing how some things have (and haven't) been handled throughout the league in recent years... at some point the straw breaks the camel's back. It's still more of a "hope" than a realistic scenario at this point though.

Question... if what he did is legal now, what can he possibly break rule wise and what could the SEC say as far as concerns? If he has been out of football for years, how can they keep him out longer with a clause? He doesn't get time served? I just wonder if anyone else in football cares anymore, outside of simply seeing Alabama fix it's issues and get back on top.

Back
Top Bottom