| NEWS BREAKING: California will allow college athletes to profit from endorsements under bill signed this morning by Gov. Gavin Newsom

@BamaFan334

I stand corrected on the number that are going bankrupt etc

I still don't believe that is a reason not to allow the athletes to profit from their own image or name.

We can agree to disagree
Are you out there this year buying a Jalen Hurts Oklahoma jersey?

People by their Jersey because of where they are playing, not who they are. If Jalen Hurts was a STUD football player but decided to skip colllege and hire a private coach to train him for 3 years for the NFL draft, would anyone pay for his autograph or pay for a generic Jalen Jersey?

I understand the argument for having them benefit from from those sales, but keep in mind they get a lot of privileges for free that most people would never be able to afford or receive if they were not in the NCAA scholarship program. The education cost with tuition, room and board along with tutors paid for is alone worth a ton. Now if you say they are not there for an education and are there to make it to the NFL, then how much would Saban and staff cost per year for coaching to a private person or private team? How much does the exposure and experience of playing for a team like Alabama cost?

There is plenty of value they receive that could be monetized. I'm not saying they don't deserve a stipend for spending money since they really can't go out and get a job... but it would have to be something that is very carefully crafted. It's a slipper slope....

@BamaFan334

I stand corrected on the number that are going bankrupt etc

I still don't believe that is a reason not to allow the athletes to profit from their own image or name.

We can agree to disagree

I don't think it is THE reason, just one of my concerns. I am still of the thought that their scholarship is payment enough, on top of everything else they are provided with (medical, food, apparel, tutors, accountability coaches etc). Like I mentioned above, just look at all of us suckers out there with student loan debt we'll be paying till we're 50, and these guys have the opportunity to walk out with zero, or very little. I think we could work on that part of the deal and truly make it free for them. They can spring board to riches faster than anyone else in their class, anyone else. You are always going to have the HAVES and HAVE NOTS, so with this I feel recruits will flock to the school that has the most exposure, and therefor the parity everyone is crowing for, will never be because schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, and Texas will get everyone because of the tv rights and sheer size of their footprint. I also think it muddies the water as far as what other benefits athletes receive illegally. Cars, houses, big sum cash offers will only taint the pool more and be way more prevalent because it will be harder to trace. In the end, we just continue to throw immature minds into a world where only a seasoned mind can succeed. Making our kids grow up fast and handle certain realities at an earlier age only will cause them to fail at a higher rate. I like using the NBA one and done or when they jumped straight to the NBA from high school back in the day. Yes, we all remember Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, but what about the countless others that are working 9-5 dead end jobs because they were promised riches by greedy agents, only to dupe an 18-20 year old kid out of those valuable learning years and taking a chunk of their earnings, and to never ever hear from them again, and not getting their education because they skipped college or only went for one semester. I can definitely respect to agree to disagree though, because we all have our own opinions and lifestyles we use to build our stance on the topic.

Are you out there this year buying a Jalen Hurts Oklahoma jersey?

I am not really the person to ask that. I have never purchased a jersey of a player or team. I have a Polamau jersey that was a gift and an ancient Deuce jersey that was also a gift. The Steelers jersey is hanging on a wall and my wife wears Palmer's jersey every once in a while.

I understand that the value of their name and likeness is tied into the school they play for and I agree that most people aren't going to pay for items or autographs from unbranded players. On the same note very few (across the spectrum of collegiate sports) are actually going to make serious money off of this

That was actually his point. If he had went to college they would have sold his jersey number based off him wearing it (because the name could not be on it) and made money without him getting any of it. Justice today just means money or free stuff to a lot of people.

Very few numbers are retired, and therfore there have been plenty of 23's before him and will be plenty of 23's after him. Hell, I'm willing to bet my last dime he went with 23 was because of Michael freaking Jordan, so does he owe Jordan a piece of his money for wearing a number Jordan made famous and that millions of us when we were kids loved to wear? The slope is way to slippery and opens itself up to much negative debate, whereas the positives are few and far between.

That was actually his point. If he had went to college they would have sold his jersey number based off him wearing it (because the name could not be on it) and made money without him getting any of it. Justice today just means money or free stuff to a lot of people.
I see your point but it's kind of a speculation type mindet IMO....he never had any intention on going to college, all an "if" is is something that didn't happen...like if I had won the lottery. If he had went to college he may blew out a knee on the first day. :)

The university could easily just sell a jersey # that no one has... Don't they have some type of licensing on all official University related merchandise?

It would probably sell less, but all of less can easily be more than some of more.

Say that 10 x in a row... haha

I see your point but it's kind of a speculation type mindet IMO....he never had any intention on going to college, all an "if" is is something that didn't happen...like if I had won the lottery. If he had went to college he may blew out a knee on the first day. :)

Wasn't my point, it was his. He specifically said that himself.

“that 23 jersey would have been sold all over the place without my name on the back. My body would have been on the NCAA game 2004. The [arena] would have been sold out... Me & my mom didn’t have anything.”

Wasn't my point, it was his. He specifically said that himself.

“that 23 jersey would have been sold all over the place without my name on the back. My body would have been on the NCAA game 2004. The [arena] would have been sold out... Me & my mom didn’t have anything.”

Except that Hummer H2 tricked out that his momma suspiciously got a loan for. Didn't have anything, his words, but somehow got a loan on a ~$70,000 Hummer H2?

The university could easily just sell a jersey # that no one has... Don't they have some type of licensing on all official University related merchandise?

It would probably sell less, but all of less can easily be more than some of more.

Say that 10 x in a row... haha

I would not be shocked at all if the University stopped letting players wear the #1 and then put that on every jersey they sold. Who wouldn't buy a #1 Alabama jersey? That is simply how easy it could be to bypass this issue. Like I mentioned before, hire a model to sport the uniform with a visor over the face and use that on programs, or just do away with programs all together. I'm sure that's a headache the university would love to not produce anyways. The universities, their lawyers, and the NCAA are truly smarter than any athlete, 16-50 years old and they have deeper pockets to take it as far as they want.

Which is why I think Coaches and universities should be forced to finish out their contracts.... You agree to a deal, you follow through.

A big part of the argument for student-athletes is the coaches freedom vs player freedom. I think it's a valid argument. I think asking them both to do what they say they're going to do is reasonable.

Up until this point in time.
College coaches are professionals
College athletes are amateures
It seems cut and dried to me.

Which is why I think Coaches and universities should be forced to finish out their contracts.... You agree to a deal, you follow through.

A big part of the argument for student-athletes is the coaches freedom vs player freedom. I think it's a valid argument. I think asking them both to do what they say they're going to do is reasonable.
Read your reply. That's a drive by versus what

I don't think it is THE reason, just one of my concerns. I am still of the thought that their scholarship is payment enough, on top of everything else they are provided with (medical, food, apparel, tutors, accountability coaches etc). Like I mentioned above, just look at all of us suckers out there with student loan debt we'll be paying till we're 50, and these guys have the opportunity to walk out with zero, or very little. I think we could work on that part of the deal and truly make it free for them. They can spring board to riches faster than anyone else in their class, anyone else. You are always going to have the HAVES and HAVE NOTS, so with this I feel recruits will flock to the school that has the most exposure, and therefor the parity everyone is crowing for, will never be because schools like Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, and Texas will get everyone because of the tv rights and sheer size of their footprint. I also think it muddies the water as far as what other benefits athletes receive illegally. Cars, houses, big sum cash offers will only taint the pool more and be way more prevalent because it will be harder to trace. In the end, we just continue to throw immature minds into a world where only a seasoned mind can succeed. Making our kids grow up fast and handle certain realities at an earlier age only will cause them to fail at a higher rate. I like using the NBA one and done or when they jumped straight to the NBA from high school back in the day. Yes, we all remember Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and LeBron James, but what about the countless others that are working 9-5 dead end jobs because they were promised riches by greedy agents, only to dupe an 18-20 year old kid out of those valuable learning years and taking a chunk of their earnings, and to never ever hear from them again, and not getting their education because they skipped college or only went for one semester. I can definitely respect to agree to disagree though, because we all have our own opinions and lifestyles we use to build our stance on the topic.
My kingdom for a __?

Questions:

1) Does the law require that an athlete is paid or just allow it?
2) Who will negotiate for the athlete? Isn't signing with an agent another reason for the NCAA to declare an athlete ineligible?
3) Could schools change their model and pay the athletes the value of their tuition, fees, room and board, healthcare, etc. and then require the athlete to pay those fees to be in school just like any other student?
4) Could schools adopt the old Olympic model where athletes could "make money" but all monies went into a trust account that couldn't be touched until the athlete retired from amateur athletics?

Anyway, this might put a halt to the guys leaving early. With all of the monetary perks, plus (if they so desire to take advantage of it) a free College Education, why would they want to take a cut in benefits and leave early for the NFL (or whatever). This would especially be true for Women's athletics. (sarcasm now off)
ROLL TIDE!

Really believe it will be the end of College sports as we know....
The law if applied to all sports there will be bidding wars for top athletes....
Who has the most money....will be on top....probably a Texas school...
College presidents and conference commissioners will have to hold the line to save college sports.....
The college presidents control their schools....
Acc, sec, big 10, and big 12 will have to band together........
And schools in pac shit....not in California...are screwed...
As usual..California screwed things up....

Back
Top Bottom