| NEWS BREAKING: California will allow college athletes to profit from endorsements under bill signed this morning by Gov. Gavin Newsom

Now every athlete gets their own agent.

How will this impact many of the programs already in the red? Is Title 9 applicable?

OK, I bet the state of AL can have one out by the end of the week. Maybe the only thing our state government could get done quick, to fight anything that threatens the Bama and AU recruiting.

Yet Alabama has no lottery. Clarify that with football recruiting and I'd agree :)

Dang guys... Slipper, slippery, slippery slope.

This one is hard for me. As someone who generally supports free market type of ideas and values, I can see how and why this is a good idea. At the same time I understand the value of not allowing this for the long term sustainability for college sports. Like I said, such a slippery slope.

For a guy with an opinion on everything, I have no freaking clue how this one sorts itself out. And I sure as hell don't have any answers as to how it make it work for "everyone" (Remember the Title 9 laws?! Not to mention there are only a handful of athletic departments that truly make $). I see both sides of it. I just don't see a simple or real solution that keeps college sports as competitive and valuable as it is now. And I sure as hell don't have much faith in either political nor NCAA legislators to get it right.

But buckle up! Here we go...🤠

Hell, it's not like the love of money or greed ever ruined anything or anybody. Look at what has happened to the NFL after free agency. What ever happened to loyalty to your team and team mates, the honor of playing a game for the pure love of it. The NFL has been ruined in my opinion by greedy athletes with no loyalty to team or city, only to the Almighty greenback. Will collegiate sports be next?

Hell, it's not like the love of money or greed ever ruined anything or anybody. Look at what has happened to the NFL after free agency. What ever happened to loyalty to your team and team mates, the honor of playing a game for the pure love of it. The NFL has been ruined in my opinion by greedy athletes with no loyalty to team or city, only to the Almighty greenback. Will collegiate sports be next?

Which is why I think Coaches and universities should be forced to finish out their contracts.... You agree to a deal, you follow through.

A big part of the argument for student-athletes is the coaches freedom vs player freedom. I think it's a valid argument. I think asking them both to do what they say they're going to do is reasonable.

I cannot wait to see what these guys do when that income tax bill hits.
I get what you're driving at but I also think it's simpler than what you're laying out. I can easily see schools using their academic advisors, or someone in a position that's closely related to that, as their financial advisors.

That said, bringing taxes into the question is a valid point. What strikes me is not how many kids have parents that can give them advice on taxes but more along the lines of how many kids are considered dependents. Or, do we see a cap on the amount a kid can earn based on his age, dependency status, etc.

You sound almost hopeful that this fails
In its current form, I'm of that group.

Consider: You're being recruited by Texas (with its own network) versus other schools in the Big 12. Where is the advantage, as a player, found?

@jdpas29 If this passes across the board I don't see it as something that will make me stop following college football AS LONG AS it's passed in the SEC as well. As I stated earlier, I see this as another advantage for Alabama because of the amount of TV exposure the Tide receives every year. 15 years ago, even with the Tide down, I don't see a large difference in fan support. After all, when Coach Moore started his capital campaign, how quickly did we see the original goal met and then expanded.

One person said yesterday, "pass it and we'll see people lined up for jersey's from Huntsville to Bryant Drive." {sic}

Which is why I think Coaches and universities should be forced to finish out their contracts.... You agree to a deal, you follow through.
Where in life are you allowed to keep your job when you fail miserably? A school hires a coach that can't handle the job and they should keep the guy? Miles shouldn't have been fired? Briles? Boom, despite how poorly he coached at Florida, should have been required to finish out his contract?

Another way that can be read is "in a sport where excellence is rewarded we need to make sure everyone, despite performance, receives the same treatment?"

I'm thinking where do we find this type of behavior and my first thought is education where a teacher can be bad at their job but keep the same job. And how well is the educational system working is the next question.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see this as a good thing. THE STUDENT ATHLETES already get paid with a free ride.
I just feel that if they get paid in any shape, form or fashion that they should have to pay tuition, room and board, books and anything else that a “normal “ student does. The richest schools will get the best athletes. I, already, don’t watch the nfl because they get paid too much money to play a game. If they got a decent salary instead of millions upon millions, maybe. My heart hurts about this.

@Tidestalker It's important to remember how coaches are paid...the school/university isn't paying the full amount...donor's foot most of the bill.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I just don’t see this as a good thing. THE STUDENT ATHLETES already get paid with a free ride.
I just feel that if they get paid in any shape, form or fashion that they should have to pay tuition, room and board, books and anything else that a “normal “ student does. The richest schools will get the best athletes. I, already, don’t watch the nfl because they get paid too much money to play a game. If they got a decent salary instead of millions upon millions, maybe. My heart hurts about this.

Not a free ride. They put in a lot of time/effort/work being an athlete.

Outta stare tuition at Alabama is $45k, add everthing else, it's probably worth $150k/year if I had to quickly put a number to it.

A drunk could entertain you, so what is your point?

I am not even sure what this means. But I will play along, if a drunk can and does entertain me and figures out a way to get paid for it then he damn sure should.

It is proven very few of them are fiscally responsible. FACTS! Sure, they entertain us, but so can MANY others. And those in the military you speak of are being handled by responsible adults that are trained and combat proven, not necessarily out for their own financial or personal gain.

Again you make the judgement that they are (with the exception of a "few") fiscally irresponsible so they shouldn't be paid. And you call me arrogant?

I can take almost any group and point out the shitty irresponsible ones because those are the ones who make the news. You take anecdotal evidence and state that "most professional athletes end up broke". Do you really believe that?

FTR I was not comparing Generals and Colonels (sp) with sports agents. I was comparing the level of responsibility that as a whole 18-22 year old are afforded in our society

If that is the case I stand corrected but I find that hard to believe
Found it ...

In a less public way, other athletes from the nation's three biggest and most profitable leagues—the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball—are suffering from a financial pandemic. Although salaries have risen steadily during the last three decades, reports from a host of sources (athletes, players' associations, agents and financial advisers) indicate that:

• By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

* Important to note how NFL contracts are structured versus that of the NBA and MLB. Fewer guaranteed contracts in the NFL (or at least less money is involved.) Different sports has to be considered in that as well.

A LONG read here ...

I am not even sure what this means. But I will play along, if a drunk can and does entertain me and figures out a way to get paid for it then he damn sure should.

Again you make the judgement that they are (with the exception of a "few") fiscally irresponsible so they shouldn't be paid. And you call me arrogant?

I can take almost any group and point out the shitty irresponsible ones because those are the ones who make the news. You take anecdotal evidence and state that "most professional athletes end up broke". Do you really believe that?

FTR I was not comparing Generals and Colonels (sp) with sports agents. I was comparing the level of responsibility that as a whole 18-22 year old are afforded in our society

How is it a judgement when statistical facts prove my stance on athletes being bad with money? This is no new revelation. How are you incapable of processing that?

And you're comparing levels of responsibility with 18-22 year olds? Another comment that makes zero sense, because the kids making the decision to enter the service are a lot of times kids that need to find direction, that need a figure to help them solve personal issues and get their lives together. Not all, but a lot. You're acting like every 18-22 year old has the intellectual ability to figure it all out, and that's absolutely not true. Heck, look at student loan debt and all the trouble normal college kids with degrees that actually get the education are looking at. They have absolutely zero clue what the long term ramifications are. MOST 18-22 year olds are incapable of handling large sums of money, and I will stand by that till the day I die. Oh yeah, even lottery winners are known to go broke when they see large windfalls of cash, and that includes adults! What else ya got?

The drunk comment was a point that even someone sitting next to you can entertain you, so a football player doesn't necessarily have some ability that no one else does. I have news for you on this as well, if every football player currently playing quit, there would be just as many other stepping up to take their place, to entertain. And even if the product wasn't as good, they would still have a fan base. So they may entertain you, but they may not be worth the entertainment fee to others if it continues to climb. Just look at the NFL and how empty those stadiums are these days. They are making money from the TV deals, and our cable bills are going up and people are cable cutting.

Last edited:
Where in life are you allowed to keep your job when you fail miserably? A school hires a coach that can't handle the job and they should keep the guy? Miles shouldn't have been fired? Briles? Boom, despite how poorly he coached at Florida, should have been required to finish out his contract?

Another way that can be read is "in a sport where excellence is rewarded we need to make sure everyone, despite performance, receives the same treatment?"

I'm thinking where do we find this type of behavior and my first thought is education where a teacher can be bad at their job but keep the same job. And how well is the educational system working is the next question.

Well what other profession goes into 17-18 year old's homes, recruits the kid and parent to play for them, selling them on all kinds their ideas and principles, while simultaneously finding ways to leave said school for a better situation? And in most cases is paid through a government entity to do so? I'll wait.

The bigger point is - If the kids can get paid and/or leave, then I'm fine with let the coaches leave. If not, make the coaches stay the way we all don't want free agency in the player realm. How many times do you see folks complaining about the misuse of the word "commitment" when it comes to college athletes? But not the coaches and universities....?

In terms of Briles, yes there should be some type of obvious character clause. That shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

But it would be nice to see some accountability & responsibility for the university to hire solid PEOPLE who can COACH (Better do your homework and have realistic contracts, right?). Now there is accountability at all levels to actually help those kids they sold ideas to throughout the recruiting process to accomplish them throughout their career. I think it's only fair that kids should have an outlined knowledge of when the coach he chooses to play for is going to leave, especially if that player is penalized a year for leaving himself.

Back
Top Bottom