| NEWS BREAKING: California will allow college athletes to profit from endorsements under bill signed this morning by Gov. Gavin Newsom

You're acting like you audit these bank accounts... I feel pretty comfortable saying when these AD's are out raising money for buyouts it's a hell of a lot like a "lets make a deal" scenario. You come up with and we will come up with____. Ultimately it's money that could be going to athletics that goes to a broken commitment or shitty deal.
Acting like I'm auditing these bank accounts when all I'm doing is sharing facts on how the aforementioned examples were handled?

Is it a fact that all the buyouts you've mentioned have come 100% from private $? What facts you referring to?
Yes, it is. I've cited several examples with school, their fund raising arms, and which coaches in this very thread.

We're discussing an area of athletics I've followed closely, across the board, since November of 2006.

Yes, it is. I've cited several examples with school, their fund raising arms, and which coaches in this very thread.

We're discussing an area of athletics I've followed closely, across the board, since November of 2006.

I'd like to see some factual info on that 100%. Haven't yet.

Regardless we know what ban k account the check comes from, and the fact that the AD has to raise $ for that instead of other worthy causes is a concerning issue.

Ultimately I stand by my opinion that either let the kids transfer or get paid, or make the coaches and university keep their commitment to the AMATEURS. Either way I'm good. Not sure about you?

Regardless we know what ban k account the check comes from, and the fact that the AD has to raise $ for that instead of other worthy causes is a concerning issue.

Ultimately I stand by my opinion that either let the kids transfer or get paid, or make the coaches and university keep their commitment to the AMATEURS. Either way I'm good. Not sure about you?
It is my understanding that the amateur high school athlete signs his letter of commitment to the college or university, not to the coaches.

When professionals ( in this case coaches ) enter into a contract, the details are hashed out, and a meeting of their minds come together in agreement and they draw up a contract that both parties are good with and both parties sign said contract, which is binding and would stand in a court of law if there is disagreement, if the disagreement can't be worked out between the two parties.

When an amateur athlete signs his letter of intent, he knows what he is getting from the school and what is expected out of him. From the school administrators and from his teachers.

In a previous post of yours, you wrote about the lack of professionalism from both ends? I do agree with you that there is a lack of "professionalism"
in sports in general and other professions in all walks of life. See Antonio Brown. See Ezekiel Elliott who held out this year when he had 2 years left on his contract but wanted more $$$$$$$. In college, see Art Briles. I do agree with you on this point.

It is my understanding that the amateur high school athlete signs his letter of commitment to the college or university, not to the coaches.

When professionals ( in this case coaches ) enter into a contract, the details are hashed out, and a meeting of their minds come together in agreement and they draw up a contract that both parties are good with and both parties sign said contract, which is binding and would stand in a court of law if there is disagreement, if the disagreement can't be worked out between the two parties.

When an amateur athlete signs his letter of intent, he knows what he is getting from the school and what is expected out of him. From the school administrators and from his teachers.

In a previous post of yours, you wrote about the lack of professionalism from both ends? I do agree with you that there is a lack of "professionalism"
in sports in general and other professions in all walks of life. See Antonio Brown. See Ezekiel Elliott who held out this year when he had 2 years left on his contract but wanted more $$$$$$$. In college, see Art Briles. I do agree with you on this point.

Fair points... Valid. (y)

So we're left with me filing a FOIA act just so you'll believe what I'm telling you is the truth. Gotcha.

You know this to be true.

If it's my opinion. I say it with that caveat.
If I know it. I don't.

Take all that for what it's worth.

Now, getting back on track with the thread ...

@50+yeartidefan it's a Florida democrat that's introduced a bill that's like this one. You say California, similar legislation in South Carolina.

This is an opinion but good lord, it's a good one.

The majority of TV viewers for college football come from the south. NLI, is related to being seen, on TV. Alabama, will not lose a step if this is enacted. We, as a football program, grow stronger.

Just my opinion. Probably a good idea to do some homework on how coaches are paid and educate yourself on this first before you form an opinion on how this should/shouldn't work. Understand what the University is obligated to (very small amount) and what the fundraising 501c3 side of the house is obligated to.

@Tidestalker just 'cause I wanted to throw something at you for a bit.

There's an opinion.

Now, based on revenue on merchandise in Bama's lean years how does it translate to Bama players getting paid?

A lot.

But, it does put Kentucky at a disadvantage. Until we get to basketball ...

Oh I'm with you 100000% on that. It will be the have and have-nots x 10. I think it's a fast track to making the shitty football schools into a sub level of some sort.

So you never really said what type of solution you think would work best? If Any? I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

There seems to be a belief that college athletes will be paid just to play. My understanding is that it's the use of their name and likeness (images/photos) that they must be compensated for. Am I missing something?

There seems to be a belief that college athletes will be paid just to play. My understanding is that it's the use of their name and likeness (images/photos) that they must be compensated for. Am I missing something?
No. You're not missing a thing. There are a lot of arguments, for pro and con, that I feel are based on some pretty wild theories. As example, I've seen quite a few point to Phil Knight and Oregon while suggesting Nike would give millions and millions to the Ducks program.

Unintended consequences, anyone? IF Nike were to do that with Auburn how many schools would be lined up to talk to UA and Adidas? That's a road Nike won't go down because of the consequences of a move like that.

So you never really said what type of solution you think would work best? If Any? I'd like to hear your opinion on it.
I'm still tossing that subject around wondering how the dominoes will fall.

I can say this with no doubt. I don't like the idea of different states drafting their own legislation. First of all, politicians getting involved in this? It feels a lot like a few years ago when we saw the NLRB sticking their nose in the picture attempting to get players "employee status" at some schools.

Tom Izzo made this comment yesterday:

"I sure as hell don’t think it’s politicians’ job to get involved in this. I’m baffled by that a little bit. I’m in for players getting whatever they can get. I just don’t know what the effects are going to be." Adds, "I'm wide open on it."

As I touched on with @OldPlayer just above this post this is a mixed up situation in the first place; messy at best with the potential for a lot of consequences we'll likely see the NCAA ignore. To make a messy situation worse, we are looking at state legislatures drafting their own legislation and doing it lazily: reactive versus proactive. I can easily see that leading to a lot of different versions on how this should play out depending on which state a kid is playing in or what school a kid is playing for.

A haphazard answer on where I'd start would be ...

Separate P5 and G5 into two difference divisions of football each having their own playoff and championship.

This second part is something I don't believe in but based on precedent with the NCAA and conferences is the direction I think we'd see them go ... so let's work with those set parameters. Just like TV revenue is divided among conferences I'd like to see NLI royalties divided among the team. Two thoughts on this one ...

Assume this was in place several years ago when LaDainian Tomlinson was running through defenses when he was at TCU. They had a good line and a dual threat QB which allowed for LT to do what he did. He'd quickly point to his line as a reason he had his success. Shouldn't that be considered in a financial compensation deal as well?​
Now, assume Tua was wearing #12 versus #13. You'll have people buying the #12 jersey for what it's represented in the past; which players have worn that number that have "gone down in Crimson lore." That "likeness" would just be for Tua. He would have literally been hopping on to a gravy train established by guys like Joe Willie.​
All that leads me to think it would need to be put in an escrow type of account, or a trust if you will. @It Takes Eleven would have a better knowledge on how it might be structured. Tua's here for three, he's paid for three following his time at Alabama. I believe this would discourage what some think of as "it's an instant payday for a kid to attend __."

The sad thing to me is this. This is something the NCAA needs to get in front of. However, there's no a lot about the NCAA and its decisions I trust. This is something that seeing politicians get involved with...well, makes me cringe to say the least. Hell, we could be looking at a situation where different legislation applies differently to each game based on where its played. Each team treated differently depending on the state they hail from.
What's prevalent today is we've got two groups with differing opinions. Those that are saying "nay" are using some bad arguments. Those that are saying "yes" aren't considering the unintended consequences but seem to rather want to allow the chips to fall where they may. Neither are good positions to make a stand. The courts have ruled...we're looking at it being "yes."

This is ridiculous in my view. It would have been amazing to have all my college expenses paid in full. That is worth a lot.

But at this point my view does not matter, looks like NCAA and the schools are going to have to deal with it. These things seem to take on a life of there own and then the politicians jump on the bandwagon instead of having a thought and position that is not dictated to them by others and/or their political party.

Back
Top Bottom