| NEWS BREAKING: California will allow college athletes to profit from endorsements under bill signed this morning by Gov. Gavin Newsom

Really believe it will be the end of College sports as we know....
The law if applied to all sports there will be bidding wars for top athletes....
Who has the most money....will be on top....probably a Texas school...
College presidents and conference commissioners will have to hold the line to save college sports.....
The college presidents control their schools....
Acc, sec, big 10, and big 12 will have to band together........
And schools in pac shit....not in California...are screwed...
As usual..California screwed things up....
It'll just break up the schools in the power 5 to the haves and haves nots. Those schools like Texas, Alabama, Ohio State will become an elite level and most likely compete in a common division. The rest of the schools will end up in a different division and compete. We're already moving that direction, but this would accelerate that movement, IMO.

I think it would be the end of conferences as we know them now. The SEC/B1G/ACC/Big 12/Pac10 would just fade away or morph into something different.

Really believe it will be the end of College sports as we know....
The law if applied to all sports there will be bidding wars for top athletes....
Who has the most money....will be on top....probably a Texas school...
College presidents and conference commissioners will have to hold the line to save college sports.....
The college presidents control their schools....
Acc, sec, big 10, and big 12 will have to band together........
And schools in pac shit....not in California...are screwed...
As usual..California screwed things up....

85 scholarships, stipends, and CTE. There are countless other examples of changes.

NIL isn't anymore significant than those in my opinion.

Coaches have contracts that stipulate the terms of termination by either the university or the coach. It's allowed for in the contract they sign along with the university. Both parties agree on those terms. I don't see the problem here.

I'm fine with coaches coming and going but I think there needs to be a relative similarity between how coaches and players are being treated. They're kind of counting on each other, right? Give the kids a free transfer... and/or let them make money. OR hold the coaches and universities accountable for their COMMITMENT. Either they're all committed to what they say matters (development, integrity, pride of university) or they all aren't and $ is what REALLY matters. I'm good either way

When government entities are paying for buyouts, that's not business as usual. Or maybe it is and we are just that sideways.
Oh geez, man. Going off the deep end a bit here, aren't ya?

That's like saying ...

Joe Blow has a job at a state University.
That job pays Joe 100K a year.
Joe spent 50K on crack.
The government just paid for 50K worth of crack.

Extreme analogy ... but no more than claiming a state government pays a coach's buyout.

Oh geez, man. Going off the deep end a bit here, aren't ya?

That's like saying ...

Joe Blow has a job at a state University.
That job pays Joe 100K a year.
Joe spent 50K on crack.
The government just paid for 50K worth of crack.

Extreme analogy ... but no more than claiming a state government pays a coach's buyout.

Not even close. I deleted it because I didn't want to get too deep into the weeds... But no, Terry... Not even close

It'll just break up the schools in the power 5 to the haves and haves nots. Those schools like Texas, Alabama, Ohio State will become an elite level and most likely compete in a common division. The rest of the schools will end up in a different division and compete. We're already moving that direction, but this would accelerate that movement, IMO.

I think it would be the end of conferences as we know them now. The SEC/B1G/ACC/Big 12/Pac10 would just fade away or morph into something different.

And @planomateo
But.....it is still up to the presidents of the Universities.....and BOD....
For one....Notre Dame.....i could see saying..."hell, no we aren’t doing this "...
For some...say Auburn.....i could see them saying...."no big deal, been doing it for 50 years"....
Seriously, this is not good for College sports....dont like it.... bad...and of course....comes from California......

Not even close. I deleted it because I didn't want to get too deep into the weeds... But no, Terry... Not even close
How is it not?

You're asserting because a school is subsidized by the state the salary a coach makes is state funds. When his salary is deducted from to pay a buyout at a former school you're asserting that's government money being spent. It's not. It's the coaches money.

We have seen cases where a schools athletic fund raising arm pays a buyout. But, that's not state funds.

Cite an example of a school using government funds to pay buyouts.

Les Miles buyout came from TUF.
Jimbo Fisher's and Franchione's buyout came from the 12th man foundation.
Shula's buyout was raised by the boosters here...wasn't from the University's coffiers.
Richt, Georgia Bulldog Club.
Ol Butch is getting paid from the Tennessee Fund.

None of these groups are government backed.

How is it not?

You're asserting because a school is subsidized by the state the salary a coach makes is state funds. When his salary is deducted from to pay a buyout at a former school you're asserting that's government money being spent. It's not. It's the coaches money.

We have seen cases where a schools athletic fund raising arm pays a buyout. But, that's not state funds.

Cite an example of a school using government funds to pay buyouts.

Les Miles buyout came from TUF.
Jimbo Fisher's and Franchione's buyout came from the 12th man foundation.
Shula's buyout was raised by the boosters here...wasn't from the University's coffiers.
Richt, Georgia Bulldog Club.
Ol Butch is getting paid from the Tennessee Fund.

None of these groups are government backed.
But the university is still a state owned entity........
Regardless of where the money comes from....
My tidbit.....

UF is paying coach Jim McElwain $7.5 million to leave the Gators, according to a document released by the school Tuesday.

McElwain will receive a payment of $3.75 million on Dec. 1 and five payments over the the next four years.

When UF ousted McElwain Oct. 29, he was due a buyout of $12.9 million. But the school negotiated an agreement — presumably because McElwain failed to provide evidence to support his Oct. 23 claim he, his family, staff and players had received death threats from the UF fan base.

McElwain still owes Colorado State, his former school, $1.5 million. As part of UF’s deal with the school to meet his $7.5 million buyout, McElwain agreed to pay $2 million during a period of time.

UF is paying former coach Will Muschamp and McElwain $13.8 million in buyouts. Muschamp is still slated to be paid one more installment, leaving Florida paying three head coaches at the same time.

The beginning of the end for college football as we know it.
This is the worst ruling possible for the sport. For now, the california schools will have an unfair advantage.
If you believe this is a good thing, you're ignoring the potential for all kinds of corruption for the sport. If you think basketball was a mess, you ain't seen nothing yet. BOO california!!!!!

My point is - It's not "business as usual". We are comparing the NCAA issues to other pro sports or business scenarios and it's just not in the same realm... Mostly because of this weird amateur status & transfer rules holding the model together.

We are comparing the NCAA issues to other pro sports or business scenarios and it's just not in the same realm...
I get your point despite leaving out how a coach (in his profession) is treated differently than a student (who has no profession.) A key word I keep seeing is "free to transfer" with student with the implication it's free for coaches to leave. It's never been free for a coach to leave whether he's being fired or going to another job.

By the way, since we're talking about Florida ... when Mac was fired down there he still owed over a million to Colorado State. That was out of his pocket, not the UAA's. They only handled a portion of the buyout.

It's a stretch to say UF paid it if we consider they agreed to play CSU...but that's about the only link you can find with money not coming from UAA or Mac. That came from gameday revenue.

His buyout was broken down in three ways. Three million came from UAA, two million from gameday receipts when CSU played UF in Gainesville, and two million came from Mac himself.

What does it matter what the check header said if the money isn't coming from state funds. That's what you're falsely asserting. Heck man, just the booster arm of UAA is expected to contribute 35MM (outside of the 100's already budgeted in.)

You're acting like you audit these bank accounts... I feel pretty comfortable saying when these AD's are out raising money for buyouts it's a hell of a lot like a "lets make a deal" scenario. You come up with __ and we will come up with______. Ultimately it's money that could be going to athletics that goes to a broken commitment or shitty deal.

Back
Top Bottom