| RECRUIT ALABAMA'S 2020 Signing Class - Wednesday opens final signing days

How is it unfortunate. He had the opportunity to still come to Bama if that was his dream, but he also had the opportunity to go somewhere else if he so choose...

Potentially.... I mean - When you're told 3 different dates are you really going to believe that the 3rd offer is actually going to happen? Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me 3 times....? Is that how you do things in life? Someone misleads you twice but you still put your faith in them? Doubt it, brotha. (Again, if true)

@Rsedge72 says it well. Nature of the best, but not a good look.

Taken a bit out of context, but ok.

What's your endgame here, an argument?

No arguement, just stating you're playing both sides of the fence with what constitutes right and wrong with college athletics. On one hand you get upset when a coach just ups and leaves his recruits after signing day, but then say it's business and fluid when a coach and program change their mind after offering and accepting a commitment from a recruit.

I don't think it's acceptable to offer and accept from a kid you aren't 100% about. Barring a serious injury, grades, or legal trouble, a school should honor a commitment. They get freaking pissed when a kid flips, but think it's fine to throw off the trajectory of a guy. I've never heard or seen a grey shirt, blue shirt, or any other kind of special shirt (minus red) that has provided a kid a successful trajectory. To me they kept him close and associated for a year and a half and then drop it on him his Senior year at the start of his season that they want him to whatever shirt. Just not my cup of tea. How can he be team first when he is dealing with crap like that? Ok, now time for him to start the process over again, and we heard from Bryce Young's dad how awful the process is.

Day 1? Sounds like he wasn't until a year and a half in.
I see you didn't do your homework, so let me go ahead and post this:

Georgia offered him scholarship Nov 18, 2017

SC offered him scholarship Nov 21, 2017

Alabama offered December 06, 2017.

Fast forward a little later:

Alabama offered him again, March 23, 2018

April 25, 2018 he named Alabama as one of the leaders for his commitment.

June 19, 2018- Unofficial visit.

July 2, 2018- Committed to Alabama

Now, That boy haven't had official visits to Alabama... nor had coaches visiting him.

He took official visits in order:

GT- June 14, 2019

Florida- Oct 5, 2019

Baylor Jan 17, 2020

Oregon-Jan 24, 2020

He had 13 unofficial visits including two junior days at Alabama. So yes, He was told several times about Blueshirt offer. Saban was honest with him from DAY 1. Kid just had hope and hoped that Alabama would change their mind.

Potentially.... I mean - When you're told 3 different dates are you really going to believe that the 3rd offer is actually going to happen? Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me 3 times....? Is that how you do things in life? Someone misleads you twice but you still put your faith in them? Doubt it, brotha. (Again, if true)

@Rsedge72 says it well. Nature of the best, but not a good look.

I going to lean towards the thought process that he was always lead to the knowledge there may not be room and he may have to blue or grey shirt. Alabama was willing to work with him on a delayed scholarship and maybe those details were in flux on timing, but I don’t get the feeling he was ever “strung” along and they dropped him and he was unwanted. He made the decision that best suited his needs and went elsewhere.

No arguement, just stating you're playing both sides of the fence with what constitutes right and wrong with college athletics. On one hand you get upset when a coach just ups and leaves his recruits after signing day, but then say it's business and fluid when a coach and program change their mind after offering and accepting a commitment from a recruit.

I don't think it's acceptable to offer and accept from a kid you aren't 100% about. Barring a serious injury, grades, or legal trouble, a school should honor a commitment. They get freaking pissed when a kid flips, but think it's fine to throw off the trajectory of a guy. I've never heard or seen a grey shirt, blue shirt, or any other kind of special shirt (minus red) that has provided a kid a successful trajectory. To me they kept him close and associated for a year and a half and then drop it on him his Senior year at the start of his season that they want him to whatever shirt. Just not my cup of tea. How can he be team first when he is dealing with crap like that? Ok, now time for him to start the process over again, and we heard from Bryce Young's dad how awful the process is.

Let's be clear here, I'm not playing both sides with this. You're trying to use my comments to play both sides... If you're going to quote me at least be factual (don't believe I said those things in bold)

At the end of the day, recruiting is fluid. Things change throughout the recruiting calendar, some players have character issues, some have grade issues, juniors leave early for the draft, players transfer, etc.

And remember, I'm a data guy. Generally speaking, I don't argue without facts.

Let's be clear here, I'm not playing both sides with this. You're trying to use my comments to play both sides... If you're going to quote me at least be factual (never said those things in bold.

At the end of the day, recruiting is fluid. Things change throughout the recruiting calendar, some players have character issues, some have grade issues, juniors leave early for the draft, players transfer, etc.

And remember, I'm a data guy. Generally speaking, I don't argue without facts.

Pretty sure I can go back if I had time and find a forum where you have expressed just that about coaches. I know most of your comments are mostly made to throw another view out there, but I have a pretty good memory with things like this and when I have the opportunity I'll present you the facts in black and white so you can actually wrap your mind around all of this. Once again, not arguing, just stating what I have read.

I see you didn't do your homework, so let me go ahead and post this:

Georgia offered him scholarship Nov 18, 2017

SC offered him scholarship Nov 21, 2017

Alabama offered December 06, 2017.

Fast forward a little later:

Alabama offered him again, March 23, 2018

April 25, 2018 he named Alabama as one of the leaders for his commitment.

June 19, 2018- Unofficial visit.

July 2, 2018- Committed to Alabama

Now, That boy haven't had official visits to Alabama... nor had coaches visiting him.

He took official visits in order:

GT- June 14, 2019

Florida- Oct 5, 2019

Baylor Jan 17, 2020

Oregon-Jan 24, 2020

He had 13 unofficial visits including two junior days at Alabama. So yes, He was told several times about Blueshirt offer. Saban was honest with him from DAY 1. Kid just had hope and hoped that Alabama would change their mind.

Where's the homework I missed? You simply posted when we offered him and when he committed. You haven't shown anything except your words that he was told about a blue shirt from back in 2017 when offered. You just failed the assignment for only showing half your work and copying the answer from another kid.

Like @Tidestalker said, I hardly believe we recruited and offered the kid two years ago with the idea of a blue shirt. Those are usually last minute decisions when numbers become more clear.

Last edited:
I going to lean towards the thought process that he was always lead to the knowledge there may not be room and he may have to blue or grey shirt. Alabama was willing to work with him on a delayed scholarship and maybe those details were in flux on timing, but I don’t get the feeling he was ever “strung” along and they dropped him and he was unwanted. He made the decision that best suited his needs and went elsewhere.

Not what he says.

Having some experience in the field - Recruiting someone out the gates to "Blue Shirt" is hell of a way to make a bad impression. Let alone a top tier kid with dozens of legit offers.

I would like to think he isn't lying - As some are implying in this thread. One thing that that would change the perception is if the kid had some grade issues... That would justify some of this stuff. JMO

Not what he says.

Having some experience in the field - Recruiting someone out the gates to "Blue Shirt" is hell of a way to make a bad impression. Let alone a top tier kid with dozens of legit offers.

I would like to think he isn't lying - As some are implying in this thread. One thing that that would change the perception is if the kid had some grade issues... That would justify some of this stuff. JMO

Rule #1......Nick allows kids to recruit early in a cycle to get the ball rolling...history also shows that many of these early commits are culled before NSD. It is documented for you.

Not what he says.

any kid “committing” 2 years out should know thing could change... to be honest, the NCAA should not allow public verbal commitments at all.

The kid was informed of his offer change in plenty of time to make other arrangements if those terms were not to his liking. He May feel shafted and screwed over and he has every right to feel that way; however, it doesn’t mean that is the reality of the situation.

Jayson Jones

Late September on a Monday, Alabama called me and told me that they’ll be looking at me for Offensive Line from now on. In the long run, I had no problem playing offense because I’ve played it for 6 years alongside DT for even longer. What shocked me and left me questionable was that they were going to BLUE SHIRT me. Basically saying, I do not get an in-home visit, official visit, I don’t come in until August 1st, and they did not contact me from November to Mid-January. They basically , “unrecruited” me. Now tell me, would you accept that?

February 3rd, 2020, they’re now talking about bringing me in even later (revisit my starting date) if i was to sign with them.

The important takeaway here is that Alabama did the right thing with him. By informing him of the blueshirt in September, they gave him two full months before the early signing period and four months before NSD to look around, and he found an immediate scholarship that he liked. Blueshirts cannot be recruited by rule, so as he said there were no visits, and based on his last comment he apparently didn’t understand that blueshirts are not allowed to join the team until the fall. It’s completely understandable that he would go elsewhere, but be happy with Alabama’s process. Winning is the name of the game, and other players were higher on the board. They did fine by Jayson.

RollBamaRoll.com

any kid “committing” 2 years out should know thing could change...

Your'e right. And he did. He was on board with the:

A. Position Change
B. Original Blue Shirt idea

to be honest, the NCAA should not allow public verbal commitments at all.

That's fine. No one is making the players or Coaches make those commitments... Both parties are just standing on their word - Nothing on paper.

The kid was informed of his offer change in plenty of time to make other arrangements if those terms were not to his liking. He May feel shafted and screwed over and he has every right to feel that way; however, it doesn’t mean that is the reality of the situation.

According to him what he was told in September was not what he was told 3 days ago. If that's the case and he's not lying, do you understand the difference?

(Again, if he misunderstood CLEAR directions or had grade issues - Then I would have a different perception)

any kid “committing” 2 years out should know thing could change... to be honest, the NCAA should not allow public verbal commitments at all.

September of your senior year is not "plenty of time" in my mind to start over. What if he was an Early Enrollee? I go back to the article with Bryce Young's dad and what he had to say about recruiting. His parents were heavily involved and highly educated on the entire process, but not all parents are, most aren't. So imagine this kid gearing up for his last year to find out it's all changed. You're clearly looking at it with Crimson colored glasses and what's not best for the kids. Recruiting as a whole is out of line and changes need to be made.

September of your senior year is not "plenty of time" in my mind to start over. What if he was an Early Enrollee? I go back to the article with Bryce Young's dad and what he had to say about recruiting. His parents were heavily involved and highly educated on the entire process, but not all parents are, most aren't. So imagine this kid gearing up for his last year to find out it's all changed. You're clearly looking at it with Crimson colored glasses and what's not best for the kids. Recruiting as a whole is out of line and changes need to be made.

Recruiting... Certainly not an exact science and as @planomateo said - Fluid.

I'd just say that in all forms of life, following the Golden Rule will never get old. Would you want your kid to be treated like this? Or want your kid to feel like he needed to write that letter?

Also, the high $ coaching profession has gotten to the point where they're basically held to the same standard as politicians. It's scary. In other words, if the ends justifies the means for the fan base, then "It's all good". There are tons of fantastic coaches and true difference makers... Saban is one of them... But he's not above scrutiny in these situations.

No one is asking for perfection, but keeping your word and/or not misleading a kid isn't out of the question, even in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom