| FTBL Alabama hires Kalen DeBoer as its next football coach.

Who do you think should be Bama's next HC?

• Lanning

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Kiffin

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Sark

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Smart

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Belichick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Demeco Ryans

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Someone Else??

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Question about Franklin. Most of those coaches in this poll had their names out there for leverage with their university to get a pay raise. For Sark, Lanning, and Norvell, they got paid because Saban retired. Did Franklin? Is PSU that... desperate?

Not even Jimmy Sexton can leverage his mid-tier ass at this point.

Question about Franklin. Most of those coaches in this poll had their names out there for leverage with their university to get a pay raise. For Sark, Lanning, and Norvell, they got paid because Saban retired. Did Franklin? Is PSU that... desperate?
How real was Franklin’s name in the mix? Was it anybody with real knowledge or mostly people here on this board?

"It," would be an elementary epiphany.

Everyone didn't like Saban,
Everyone didn't like Shula,
Everyone didn't like Price,
Everyone didn't like Fran,
Everyone didn't like ....

You want to start with assistant coaches? Let's ask @JoshB what he thought about Sark taking over the OC role. Hell, ask half of the forum how they felt about Kiffin coming onboard.
Thought both Kiffin and Sark were disasters. Happily wrong.

IMO this whole thing was done rather quickly after CNS’s retirement was announced. The AD probably made one call to Jimmy Sexton, who represents, Lanning, Sark, and DeBoer, to find out each one’s interest level. I’m sure of 3 the AD knew which one had the most interest even if 2 said they would think about it or needed more time. The AD had to make a hire within 48 hours to make sure the players knew who was coming and etc.

IMO this whole thing was done rather quickly after CNS’s retirement was announced. The AD probably made one call to Jimmy Sexton, who represents, Lanning, Sark, and DeBoer, to find out each one’s interest level. I’m sure of 3 the AD knew which one had the most interest even if 2 said they would think about it or needed more time. The AD had to make a hire within 48 hours to make sure the players knew who was coming and etc.
I think there's more to the story. The AD said he wanted to make a hire within 72 hours of the announcement, and that it took 49. He didn't say when they actually started looking for a replacement. The call to Sexton certainly occurred ahead of the announcement. We'll never know the true timeline, again because Saban, Byrne and others were aware of the shelf life of recruits and roster inhabitants.

IF the world would learn...

You can't make a comparison‒for a coach or a player‒from the NFL to CFB. It seldom works. And even when it does, it's "tainted." See Carroll, Johnson, et. al.
And Carroll was something like their 6th choice, if memory serves. Definitely wasn't their top choice.

Splicing together what I've heard from 2 different people who are well connected with agents... Byrne knew well before that Saban retiring was a possibility, but nothing more than that. Lanning was vetted and spoken with by Byrne before Saban's announcement (in person I'm told). Not an official interview, but in info gathering session. Byrne figured out Lanning wasn't an option then, he wanted to stay in Oregon (the buyout wasn't helpful, but it also wasn't a non-starter). Byrne did get good feedback from Lanning on DeBoer, a guy he already supposedly had targeted (Byrne admitted as much on Saturday). From there, he basically zeroed in on DeBoer and worked behind the scenes with Sexton and a plan was put in place... but he had assurances that a deal would be worked out if Saban retired. Once Saban told Byrne his intentions, the plan was immediately put into motion. Byrne just had to play ball with Sexton to get a couple of his guys better deals... which was easily seen during the hiring timeline, over the course of those 2 days.

Splicing together what I've heard from 2 different people who are well connected with agents... Byrne knew well before that Saban retiring was a possibility, but nothing more than that. Lanning was vetted and spoken with by Byrne before Saban's announcement (in person I'm told). Not an official interview, but in info gathering session. Byrne figured out Lanning wasn't an option then, he wanted to stay in Oregon (the buyout wasn't helpful, but it also wasn't a non-starter). Byrne did get good feedback from Lanning on DeBoer, a guy he already supposedly had targeted (Byrne admitted as much on Saturday). From there, he basically zeroed in on DeBoer and worked behind the scenes with Sexton and a plan was put in place... but he had assurances that a deal would be worked out if Saban retired. Once Saban told Byrne his intentions, the plan was immediately put into motion. Byrne just had to play ball with Sexton to get a couple of his guys better deals... which was easily seen during the hiring timeline, over the course of those 2 days.

Wild stuff, but fun to hear. Roll Tide.

So, how true is the stuff McElroy said about Kiffin never being a consideration because of the bridges he burned on the way out?

Back
Top Bottom