| FTBL A Morning Musing, if you will: It's about where the bread is buttered.

TerryP

Staff
While surfing around I came across this thread on an LSU forum I've been a member of for more years than I can count (off the top of my head.)

[h=1]Spring Game-not televised-AGAIN? [/h]

<article>
boblinfoto, Apr 7, 2013 Report

#1 Like Reply

Can anyone tell me why the LSU Spring game is not going to be televised for the 2nd straight year? Lots of other big name teams are planning on it (Nebraska had their game yesterday), yet there are no plans to televise LSU? Is that fair to fans who can't come to the game?
</article>
Let me put this thread in a related context. How often have you heard, or seen, fans of other schools allude to a "Bama bias" when it comes to ESPN programming? After all, if you think back over the last several years we've seen a lot of news pieces from the "Mother ship" that have been complimentary towards the program.

Another case in point.

If you'll allow me to break my own rule by bring Auburn into a conversation on this forum, think about how often we've seen a portion of their fan base institute a boycott against a news organization because of the content and subject matter of one of their reports? Courtesy, if I may remind you, of their Never to Yield Foundation?

As much as we've seen people discuss Coach Saban's approach to the media during press conferences we can establish one thing as fact. If someone doesn't understand his method of operation it's easy to assume he carries a lot of disdain for the media members. It's easy to say "Can you blame him?" After all, I know you've read articles covering Alabama that have turned your stomach, or at the very least left you shaking your head.

Yet, there's one thing you very seldom see discussed. Just how does Saban treat members of the media—in this case employees and reporters for ESPN—when he's not behind the podium in the media room?

ESPN's segments titled "All Access" fits—they receive red-carpet treatment when they are on campus. Ask yourself this question as well. How often have you seen one of the Alabama state media sitting in Saban's office getting "one on one fact time?" I can think of one such occasion and this isn't in his office but at his home. A few years ago three of the state media did a special with Coach and his wife from their home for an early morning segment. Mind you, that was very early on in his tenure at Bama.

It's the spring, so let me use an analogy. My mother had a member of her church come by her house to till up soil for a small garden she's growing this year. The ground has been prepared to the point where she'll see the fruits of her labor in a few months.

The next time you see, or hear, comments about how their is an illicit love affair with the national media in regard to what happens at the Capstone I'd encourage you to keep this in mind.

Coach Saban knows where the perception of the nation about the Alabama football program comes from. And, as we've seen for more than a handful of years now, we've also seen what has been done to make it what it is today.

It is, what it is.

Back
Top Bottom