| BSB/SB ⚾A glance at Bama Baseball heading into the SEC Tournament in Hoover (and beyond)...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Last night's win over auburn was pretty much a must have based on how things are trending in the league going into the postseason. While losing the series was disappointing, one thing this Bama team has done well at is finding a way to get the series finale win on some weekend's where they've played poorly. As it stands now (and as shown below), 5 teams finished with a 17-13 SEC record... Bama, LSU, Vandy, South Carolina, and Florida. The Tide only played 2 of the other 4 (South Carolina and LSU), and won both series. I personally don't like the committee putting very much stock (any, really) into the results in Hoover, but they have, and will. I think the season should stand on it's on, or at least 98% of it.

Before we go any further, for comparison sake:

RPI Rankings
#18 Alabama
#19 South Carolina
#24 Florida
#27 Vanderbilt
#30 LSU

Strength of Schedule
#1 Florida
#5 Alabama
#7 South Carolina
#16 Vanderbilt
#21 LSU

Obviously, in both metrics, combined with the head-to-head wins over South Carolina and LSU, Bama is sitting in a better spot right now compared to the rest. One thing we don't need is for a bunch of bid stealers to emerge this week... if that were to happen, The 13&17 Club will be sweating heavily going into the selection show.

At this point, Bama is just fighting for a better regional grouping, though I have little faith that it matters much based on how this committee has sorted them in the past. Bottom line, Bama is going to have to beat at least 1 really good baseball team twice, on the road, to advance to a Super. And this is waaaayyyyyy down the road stuff here... but if Bama can get into a Super, I can guarantee the matchup won't be any worse than last year's was.

Eastern Division
SEC
Overall
Team
W
L
Pct
W
L
Pct
Last 10
Streak
Home
Away
Neutral
Tennessee​
22​
8​
.733​
46​
10​
.821​
8-2​
W 4​
35-3​
9-6​
2-1​
Kentucky​
22​
8​
.733​
39​
12​
.765​
6-4​
L 1​
21-6​
16-5​
2-1​
Georgia​
17​
13​
.567​
39​
14​
.736​
8-2​
L 2​
29-5​
8-9​
2-0​
Vanderbilt​
13​
17​
.433​
35​
20​
.636​
3-7​
W 1​
27-8​
4-12​
4-0​
South Carolina​
13​
17​
.433​
33​
21​
.611​
3-7​
L 6​
22-10​
9-10​
2-1​
Florida​
13​
17​
.433​
28​
26​
.519​
5-5​
W 2​
19-13​
9-12​
0-1​
Missouri​
9​
21​
.300​
23​
32​
.418​
4-6​
W 1​
15-14​
7-16​
1-2​

Western Division
SEC
Overall
Team
W
L
Pct
W
L
Pct
Last 10
Streak
Home
Away
Neutral
Arkansas​
20​
10​
.667​
43​
12​
.782​
5-5​
L 1​
33-3​
7-8​
3-1​
Texas A&M​
19​
11​
.633​
44​
11​
.800​
5-5​
W 1​
32-3​
9-8​
3-0​
Mississippi State​
17​
13​
.567​
36​
19​
.655​
6-4​
L 1​
25-9​
8-9​
3-1​
LSU​
13​
17​
.433​
36​
20​
.643​
7-3​
W 3​
27-9​
7-11​
2-0​
Alabama​
13​
17​
.433​
33​
21​
.611​
5-5​
W 1​
22-8​
8-12​
3-1​
Ole Miss​
11​
19​
.367​
27​
28​
.491​
3-7​
L 5​
19-12​
7-15​
1-1​
Auburn​
8​
22​
.267​
27​
26​
.509​
6-4​
L 1​
18-13​
5-12​
4-1​

Back to the SEC Tournament for a moment... here is the bracket...

GN6iOO4W4AAmR3k

IMO, unless you're Ole Miss, LSU, or Vandy, winning the tournament really has no benefit. A top seeded team like Arkansas or the Vols (for just 2 examples) going on a run and throwing everything they have at it is reckless given what lies ahead days later. But, more than likely,we will see a team go all in on winning it, have their moment in the blazing hot sun holding the tournament trophy, then watch them come out tired and flat, and lose to a much less talented team on their own field in the regionals, ending their season prematurely.

Anyway, I'd just like to see Bama win 1... anything beyond that is fine.

Two teams I would not want to see are Texas A&M and Arkansas and we potentially get Arkansas.
At least Arky would be in the double elimination portion. Also, no Barn at the Met, means a very LARGE BAMA contingent. Throw in the fact that Arky and Van Horn don’t have a ton to play for, means we get to face one of their lower tier arms. Oh yeah! Arky does have a tendency to choke in the postseason as well.

Jason Jackson is a mediocre pitching coach!!! He did a helluva job keeping the team together last year, but damn his development of pitchers and pitches SUCK ASS!! Our guys have 2 pitches, a flat as hell fastball and a slider! Not one change up amongst the bunch!!
Damn guy for Carolina throwing a damn fastball and then a circle change and has sat down the last 10 in a row!!!

Jason Jackson is a mediocre pitching coach!!!

I don't disagree, and my issues with Jackson are well documented on here (though like you, and I've said as much a few times... he stepped up last season and far exceeded my exceptions when he took over for Bohannon, and did so in a very tough spot, which earned my respect). While I'd love for things to work out and things to get better for the staff down the road, realistically, I just don't see it. My hope is that Vaughn will be able to find and get someone better when the time comes... and if/when it comes, it is possibly going to be a career altering hire for him, one way or another, IMO.

Getting completely sauced and then sitting in that oven that is the Hoover Met in late May sounds miserable, but they are a different breed.

I got to work Corporate Hospitality at SEC Baseball tournament when I was in college. Was trying to get a job with Bruno Event team. After I got off my shift, some LSU fans invited me to their RV. I ended up getting absolutely plastered after we all pounded a bottle of Jack Daniels and Jameson.

Those guys party much differently. They're also fun at Talladega Superspeedway.

I got to work Corporate Hospitality at SEC Baseball tournament when I was in college. Was trying to get a job with Bruno Event team. After I got off my shift, some LSU fans invited me to their RV. I ended up getting absolutely plastered after we all pounded a bottle of Jack Daniels and Jameson.

Those guys party much differently. They're also fun at Talladega Superspeedway.

Best tailgate I ever went to was at an LSU football game put on by a bunch of guys from an oil company. It was like a buffet of meats and cajun food, but the huge pot of jambalaya was the show stealer. They had enough liquor to drown a whale and an U-Haul (or Ryder?) truck turned into what amounted to a no pay convenience store... just walk in and grab what you need of the racks... chips, cookies, candy bars, cashews, mini donuts, etc... After the game a handful of LSU players stopped by to get a to-go box accompanied with cash filled envelopes. Other than Bama losing, it was a great afternoon/night...

Back
Top Bottom