| FTBL 2019 Media Days (Monday, 7/15 through Thursday, 7/18)

bamachine

Master Debater
I am going to Media Days for the first time ever, next week. I will be on the other side of the ropes from the public, as I am going as a member of the media. I am going to report for the Reddit college football subreddit. I have also been invited to a special screening of an upcoming show this fall on SECN, "Saturdays in the South". It will be eight 90 minute episodes covering the history of football in the conference from it's inception to modern day. Spurrier, Herschel and Archie Manning will be there with us.

Any questions you might have for the coaches or players, post them here and I might actually ask one, if I get the chance. My question for Saban will be about Bama's never playing any in state G5 or FCS teams. I will preface it with saying that I know he does not make the schedules and it predates his being there but that I am sure he has some say in the matter.

My question for Saban will be about Bama's never playing any in state G5 or FCS teams. I will preface it with saying that I know he does not make the schedules and it predates his being there but that I am sure he has some say in the matter
As I recall you've said things about you wanting Bama to play in-state schools in the past. I'm on the other side of that fence: I see no benefit.

To me, this strikes me more as a question you, personally, would like an answer for versus a question you'd find football fans interested in finding the answer. I'm certainly not saying you're alone, just in a minority.

As I recall you've said things about you wanting Bama to play in-state schools in the past. I'm on the other side of that fence: I see no benefit.

To me, this strikes me more as a question you, personally, would like an answer for versus a question you'd find football fans interested in finding the answer. I'm certainly not saying you're alone, just in a minority.
There is no real benefit to playing out of state smaller schools either. At least this way the payouts stay in state and there is a little more excitement to those games.

There is no real benefit to playing out of state smaller schools either. At least this way the payouts stay in state and there is a little more excitement to those games.
You consider money, from out of state, to be no real benefit to Tuscaloosa and the state of Alabama? You consider a game versus UAB, or Troy, to carry more excitement? Why? (It's really confusing when you see people complaining about playing a P5 school with Duke and yet see people plead for the opportunity to see Alabama play UAB in Tuscaloosa.)

I can say this with certainty. In other words, I've heard it from the proverbial horse's mouth(s.) When given the choice of out of state versus in state, small business owners in Columbia would have much preferred UofSC focus on OOS schools versus playing Coastal. It brought in more revenue. The same holds true for Tuscaloosa and its surrounding businesses.

And that's setting aside the number of viewers a school's team will receive when playing OOS versus an in-state school. I'd much rather have people in Chattanooga watching Bama play.

Fiscal sense? I don't see any. Recruiting and exposure. There is no benefit.

Satiating a fraction of the fan base? Yep, it'll accomplish that.

All that said, chine, if I were in your shoes I'm not sure what question, or questions, I'd ask. I suspect I'd be focused on whatever happened to be the headline that week. Saban commenting on the state of the NCAA and college football is a question that the answer...well, it's an answer that's going to garner national attention.

I am going to Media Days for the first time ever, next week. I will be on the other side of the ropes from the public, as I am going as a member of the media. I am going to report for the Reddit college football subreddit. I have also been invited to a special screening of an upcoming show this fall on SECN, "Saturdays in the South". It will be eight 90 minute episodes covering the history of football in the conference from it's inception to modern day. Spurrier, Herschel and Archie Manning will be there with us.

Any questions you might have for the coaches or players, post them here and I might actually ask one, if I get the chance. My question for Saban will be about Bama's never playing any in state G5 or FCS teams. I will preface it with saying that I know he does not make the schedules and it predates his being there but that I am sure he has some say in the matter.

If you happen to see our AD, I hope you ask him this question as well. Between the two of them, I'm sure you will get the most political answer that comes to mind, but it's a great way to let them know what a lot of the fans are thinking.

Thats a great opportunity for you @bamachine ....good luck.....
I prefer a uab/usa vs western anybody....( although thats not any improvement) ....dollars wise ...dont give a shit...whether merchants in ttown like it or not....
more people be in ttown vs uab/usa than western Carolina.... its still 90% + home crowd...
Have come to conclusion...can ask all you want...nuthin gonna change...its the model...its making money bigtime...until national model changes....its stays same

You consider money, from out of state, to be no real benefit to Tuscaloosa and the state of Alabama? You consider a game versus UAB, or Troy, to carry more excitement? Why? (It's really confusing when you see people complaining about playing a P5 school with Duke and yet see people plead for the opportunity to see Alabama play UAB in Tuscaloosa.)

I can say this with certainty. In other words, I've heard it from the proverbial horse's mouth(s.) When given the choice of out of state versus in state, small business owners in Columbia would have much preferred UofSC focus on OOS schools versus playing Coastal. It brought in more revenue. The same holds true for Tuscaloosa and its surrounding businesses.

And that's setting aside the number of viewers a school's team will receive when playing OOS versus an in-state school. I'd much rather have people in Chattanooga watching Bama play.

Fiscal sense? I don't see any. Recruiting and exposure. There is no benefit.

Satiating a fraction of the fan base? Yep, it'll accomplish that.
I get that to an extent but those OOS visitors are very small compared to a P5 OOC game in Tuscaloosa and I am not saying only play in state teams. I am saying once every couple of years, work a USA, Troy, UAB, JSU in the mix.

People are being a lot more judicious with their time and SEC football money. Big TV has been controlling kickoff times for the longest, often with short notice. People have to plan hard for these things. And who wants to sit in a scalding hot stadium for a 12:00 kickoff when they can watch the game and many more, in the comfort of their AC and 4KTV? Attendance is down everywhere and folks are showing a trend of not following their team in person as closely. Especially if they suspect a non-competitive game. With the price of admission steadily going up, there is less interest than ever before.

I've heard a lot of season ticket holders complain because boosters keep raising the cost of doing business. The fact that SEC teams are sending back tickets when traveling, it's not surprising that the directional schools aren't in a hurry to support the early start, azz kicking, coming their way. Even many of our loyal fans who show up for these small school games are out of BDS after halftime. Hard to sell a lot of hotdogs to a bunch of empty seats.

Last season, SC asked for a 1000 fewer tickets than in the past and still has sent 2500 of their tickets back to Gainesville for their game there. Very common, Bama has been sending back tickets like everyone else. So what can the universities do about some very alarming economic trends? Beef up the schedule. Hasn't happened. Lower season ticket price. Hasn't happened. Turn BDS into Six Flags over Tuscaloosa. We're working on it, but the jury is still out on that one.

The verdict for me is that Bama isn't losing any sleep over whether the motel/hotel business is making a buck from traveling fans. Or overly concerned with restaurants getting their share from the Southern Miss traveling show.

Bama doesn't play instate schools because of selfish, petty politics. The old regime will have to go to their graves, literally, before that change is coming.

Ask Coach Saban if he was the final decision maker, what 2-3 things would he change about college football? You could also throw him a softball first and ask him to tell you about his moma, that will break down any barriers he may have up.

As far as playing in state schools, I am 100% for it as long as we continue to play the directional schools not in the Power 5. I'd at least like to see Bama have 1 game a year (still leaves 2 cupcake games with OSS and non Power 5's) with South Alabama, Troy, UAB, and J. St. Personally, I'd like for Power 5 schools to play Power 5 top to bottom with maybe 1 game against a non Power 5.

Ask Coach Saban if he was the final decision maker, what 2-3 things would he change about college football? You could also throw him a softball first and ask him to tell you about his moma, that will break down any barriers he may have up.

Watch out for that scowl. It can be a little intimidating at first. I recommend watching a good western beforehand. I'm thinking Clint Eastwood in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" just to get you in the proper frame of mind. But please, no spitting. :devilish:

Bama doesn't play instate schools because of selfish, petty politics. The old regime will have to go to their graves, literally, before that change is coming.

The truth?....Tusk....this is the "new regime" from the years past.....they were the new regime years ago...and hasnt changed nuthin....
I figure they will toss a cookie to satisfy a few who wany instate competition....soon!
....i hear bama admin saying..."o its so hard to get games scheduled....people think its easy but really hard". I laugh.ha..ha... they call uab today....they will have games any year they want...uab will reschedule anything to get a game...same for others...in state....
Bama just gave south fla a home game for 2 games at bd... so take 2 home games divide by 3 ( counting for away game) ...200,000. /3= 66000 ( or so) for attendance at BD.... loss of 66K ....for South Fla.... are they really better than our instate schools ?

The scheduling of games is a dead issue (Saban doesn't do it and is tired of hearing about it). Schools don't want to put Alabama on the schedule (how much is the payday for the small schools that volunteer to get beat up?). The P5 OOC games that are scheduled are all early in the season because teams can lose early and still make it to the playoffs. If the game before the Auburn game is changed to a P5 or G5 school, the losing team is out of the playoffs. How does playing UAB, Troy or JSU improve the schedule over New Mexico State or Southern Miss?

If you want to venture into new territory, ask if he keeps a list of potential position coaches for replacing staff that moves up the coaching ladder at other schools. You can ask, "Alabama lost a number of coaches this past season and in some cases it may have altered the chances of getting high-ranking recruits. Because of the success Alabama has, many teams look to get a coach that has had success at Alabama. Do you keep a list, formal or informal, of potential candidates for future openings?"

The scheduling of games is a dead issue (Saban doesn't do it and is tired of hearing about it). Schools don't want to put Alabama on the schedule (how much is the payday for the small schools that volunteer to get beat up?). The P5 OOC games that are scheduled are all early in the season because teams can lose early and still make it to the playoffs. If the game before the Auburn game is changed to a P5 or G5 school, the losing team is out of the playoffs. How does playing UAB, Troy or JSU improve the schedule over New Mexico State or Southern Miss?

If you want to venture into new territory, ask if he keeps a list of potential position coaches for replacing staff that moves up the coaching ladder at other schools. You can ask, "Alabama lost a number of coaches this past season and in some cases it may have altered the chances of getting high-ranking recruits. Because of the success Alabama has, many teams look to get a coach that has had success at Alabama. Do you keep a list, formal or informal, of potential candidates for future openings?"

...and can I get on that list?

Back
Top Bottom