| FTBL 2019 Media Days (Monday, 7/15 through Thursday, 7/18)

JMO I would like to see The King not play any of the FCS teams if possible. It just looks better if Bama had Tulane,Kent St,La Tech, or Western Ky instead of the FCS teams even though some of the FCS teams might be better football teams. You would think a visiting team would come for that 1.2-1.5 million. You need that extra home game to pay on the tab for all the other sports teams that don't make money (or little).

The years when Bama has the worst home schedule from the SEC games would be the best ones to fill in with an in state team.
Would that not be watering down the schedule even more?

I'm not quite sure what a bad SEC schedule entails. It's an odd year so Bama is traveling to A&M and Auburn while hosting UT, MSU, and LSU. Personally, I don't see a bad SEC schedule year. Do you consider this year to be a bad SEC schedule?

Most likely, I am just going to be there and enjoy the moment.
Soak it in. From experience, the best interactions I had were around the bar afterwards. I know you have your limitation due to health but that shouldn't stop you from meeting some interesting folk.

I'll be following your reports on Reddit...but, please link them here if I don't beat you to it. Deal?

well, i only saw bama admin "whining" about how hard it was
The simple answer to a question is now whining? What's so peculiar to me is this is nothing new. The same difficulties in scheduling were found when we had bow-tie Bob and his ilk at the Capstone. Face it, Bams sucked at the time and still had a hard time scheduling big name opponents. Bockrath was a POS and I questioned him when he mentioned the difficulty. However, when Coach Moore echoed the same thing? Sorry, but Coach wasn't a whiner. And, he certainly wasn't given to shading the truth.

The simple answer to a question is now whining? What's so peculiar to me is this is nothing new. The same difficulties in scheduling were found when we had bow-tie Bob and his ilk at the Capstone. Face it, Bams sucked at the time and still had a hard time scheduling big name opponents. Bockrath was a POS and I questioned him when he mentioned the difficulty. However, when Coach Moore echoed the same thing? Sorry, but Coach wasn't a whiner. And, he certainly wasn't given to shading the truth.
Actually Terry....i changed it from whining to "stating"....i agree they gave an answer.....to a question.....it was really stating.... whining was bad wording and glad i corrected myself....( just comes out to me a little less then "just the facts") I certainly didn’t infer MM was shading....anything....one awesome person....lol
And the rest....well....agree. ....for now....!

Actually Terry....i changed it from whining to "stating"....i agree they gave an answer.....to a question.....it was really stating.... whining was bad wording and glad i corrected myself....( just comes out to me a little less then "just the facts") I certainly didn’t infer MM was shading....anything....one awesome person....lol
And the rest....well....agree. ....for now....!

Hey Cowboy.... you do recall the days when Coach Bryant had Tulsa,Richmond,Tampa, and that powerhouse Furman coming to Titletown? Back in those days Miami was considered a breather as well then along came Howard Schnellenberger and things changed. I believe you stated before you were in Titletown when George Mira brought the Canes to challenge Joe Will and the Tide?

Last edited:
Would that not be watering down the schedule even more?

I'm not quite sure what a bad SEC schedule entails. It's an odd year so Bama is traveling to A&M and Auburn while hosting UT, MSU, and LSU. Personally, I don't see a bad SEC schedule year. Do you consider this year to be a bad SEC schedule?

Soak it in. From experience, the best interactions I had were around the bar afterwards. I know you have your limitation due to health but that shouldn't stop you from meeting some interesting folk.

I'll be following your reports on Reddit...but, please link them here if I don't beat you to it. Deal?

The year where we host AU, we only have the one rival, Not that aTm is a bad game but it is different than the years where we host UT and LSU. Also, Troy would not be any more watered down than a LaTech. It would also spark a little more interest from the fans. I just don;t see why they can't do it every few years. Now if they just went all P5, along with everyone else(like Saban wants), then we would not be having this discussion.

Yeah, I will link it here, if you do not beat me to it.

No one will ever be happy with the schedule. We've scheduled some P5 teams in the future but, for all we know, those teams could suck when the game comes around. I remember in the early 80s when friends were giving me crap about Alabama not playing UGA when Herschel was there (the schedules were made up years in advance even back then). They insisted that Alabama could change the scheduling with a few months notice.

Hey Cowboy.... you do recall the days when Coach Bryant had Tulsa,Richmond,Tamp, and that powerhouse Furman coming to Titletown? Back in those days Miami was considered a breather as well then along came Howard Schnellenberger and things changed. I believe you stated before you were in Titletown when George Mira brought the Canes to challenge Joe Will and the Tide?
I do jose....but check this schedule out.....
Ooc...
Nebraska
Uscw
Missouri.
Va tech
O for some reason I was a big George Mira fan....got to go to bama vs Miami game...20F27A3A-03FC-4904-B52A-0F60A2458A96.jpeg

I do jose....but check this schedule out.....
Ooc...
Nebraska
Uscw
Missouri.
Va tech
O for some reason I was a big George Mira fan....got to go to bama vs Miami game...View attachment 11632

Did you get to see George Mira play for the Birmingham Americans back in the day? They were a good team and I believe he won MVP of the championship game in the mid-70s. He and Matthew Reed of Grambling played some good QB for us.

Did you get to see George Mira play for the Birmingham Americans back in the day? They were a good team and I believe he won MVP of the championship game in the mid-70s. He and Matthew Reed of Grambling played some good QB for us.
You know i don’t remember that...but mid 70s moved to Washington state and lived on Indian Reservation with little...2 fuzzy tv channels and Portland Oregon Sunday paper..outside world contact....so...missed a lot ( but had a great era)...

History of the media's voting for SEC championship, by year.

Media Days voting
Every year media participants select a preseason all-conference team and projected order of finish, while it usually gets the conference champion wrong.

Projected Champion Eventual
Year Projected champion How fared
Eventual champion
1992 Florida Lost in SEC Championship Game Alabama
1993 Alabama Lost in SEC Championship Game Florida

1994 Florida Won SEC Championship Game
1995 Florida Won SEC Championship Game
1996 Tennessee 2nd in East Florida
1997 Florida T2nd in East Tennessee
1998 Florida 2nd in East Tennessee
1999 Tennessee 2nd in East Alabama
2000 Alabama T5th in West Florida
2001 Florida 2nd in East LSU
2002 Tennessee 3rd in East Georgia
2003 Auburn 3rd in West LSU
2004 Georgia 2nd in East Auburn
2005 Tennessee 5th in East Georgia
2006 Auburn T2nd in West Florida
2007 LSU Won SEC Championship Game
2008 Florida Won SEC Championship Game
2009 Florida Lost in SEC Championship Game Alabama
2010 Alabama 4th in West Auburn
2011 Alabama 2nd in West LSU
2012 LSU T2nd in West Alabama
2013 Alabama T1st in West Auburn
2014 Alabama Won SEC Championship Game
2015 Auburn 7th in West Alabama
2016 Alabama Won SEC Championship Game
2017 Alabama T1st in West Georgia
2018 Alabama Won SEC Championship Game

SEC Network’s coverage of 2019 SEC Kickoff Presented by Regions Bank boasts 45 hours of original programming from Birmingham, including the return of SEC This Morning for the second straight year and a special episode of Homecoming.

SEC Network college football analysts Gene Chizik, Chris Doering, Greg McElroy, Jordan Rodgers and Marcus Spears will contribute to the network’s coverage from the SEC Network set in Birmingham, with SEC Network anchors Peter Burns, Dari Nowkhah, Laura Rutledge and Alyssa Lang, as well as The Paul Finebaum Show host Paul Finebaum, hosting live studio shows from Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The Wynfrey Hotel.

SEC This Morning

SEC This Morning, hosted by SEC Network anchor Peter Burns and SEC Network college football analysts Chris Doering and Greg McElroy, airs live weekday mornings on Sirius XM. The trio will delve into all things SEC, with all the headlines, highlights and hijinks from around the conference. Returning this year, the show will be simulcast on SEC Network live from the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The Wynfrey Hotel, and will air from 7 a.m. until the start of each day’s podium action at SEC Kickoff Presented by Regions Bank.

SEC Now

SEC Now: 2019 SEC Kickoff Presented by Regions Bank will have full coverage from Birmingham beginning Monday, July 15 at noon, with analysis and insight of the day’s proceedings. Coaches from all 14 SEC teams will stop by the set during their time at the media event, as the show films live from Birmingham. SEC Network studio hosts Burns and Nowkhah, joined at various times throughout the week by SEC Network’s Laura Rutledge and Alyssa Lang, will anchor the 22 hours of coverage surrounding all 14 coaches’ podium trips.

The Paul Finebaum Show

The network’s coverage will also be anchored by The Paul Finebaum Show Presented by Regions Bank each afternoon, with various coaches and players cycling through the SEC Network set. The show, which will have reaction to the latest news and buzz of the annual college football kickoff event, will also air on ESPN Radio.

Homecoming with Titus O’Neil

Homecoming, the special hosted by SEC Network on-air personality Paul Finebaum, airs periodically throughout the year and features notable SEC alumni returning to their schools. In Monday’s episode, airing July 15 at 7 p.m. ET, Finebaum goes in-depth with Titus O’Neil, known in his Florida football playing days as Thaddeus Bullard. A four-year letterwinner as a defensive tackle and UF’s student body vice president his senior year, Bullard played four seasons in the Arena Football League before joining the world of WWE and becoming his in-ring persona, Titus O’Neil. In the episode, O’Neil returns to his old stomping grounds in Gainesville, discussing with Finebaum his time playing in The Swamp, how going to Florida impacted his life in the AFL and WWE, and his philanthropy for at-risk youth in the Sunshine State.

In addition to SEC Network’s expansive coverage from Birmingham, ESPN’s College Football Live will have highlights and headlines from each day’s press conferences.

SEC Network Programming –SEC Kickoff Presented by Regions Bank
DateTime (ET)Programming
Mon, Jul 157 a.m.SEC This Morning
NoonSEC Now
5:30 p.m.The Paul Finebaum Show (radio only 3-5:30 p.m.)
7 p.m.Homecoming with Titus O’Neil
Tue, Jul 167 a.m.SEC This Morning
9:30 a.m.SEC Now
4:30 p.m.The Paul Finebaum Show (radio only 3-4:30 p.m.)
Wed, Jul 177 a.m.SEC This Morning
10 a.m.SEC Now
4:30 p.m.The Paul Finebaum Show (radio only 3-4:30 p.m.)
Thu, Jul 187 a.m.SEC This Morning
10 a.m.SEC Now
3 p.m.The Paul Finebaum Show

The focus at SEC Media Days, the football extravaganza that begins Monday in Hoover, will be on the coaches, but the more one considers that nine quarterbacks (out of 14 schools) will be on the podium at one time or another is a remarkable reflection on how college football has evolved in the past few years.

The quarterbacks who will be in attendance range from the nationally known — Tua Tagovailoa of Alabama, Jake Fromm of Georgia, both College Football Playoff veterans — to some who are familiar faces to SEC fans even if they haven’t broken out nationwide. That group includes Jake Bentley of South Carolina and Jarrett Guarantano of Tennessee as well as Feliepe Franks of Florida, Joe Burrow of LSU and Kellen Mond of Texas A&M. There is one quarterback who has never played a down of SEC football (Kelly Bryant, a transfer from Clemson who will start at Missouri) and another, Matt Corrall of Ole Miss, who is technically a redshirt freshman thanks to the new (2018) NCAA rule that allowed him to play four games as Jordan Ta’amu’s backup last year without losing a season’s eligibility.

For the most part, therein lies the story of the season. The teams who aren’t bringing a quarterback, and there are various reasons, don’t seem to be contenders, with the exception of Auburn. It’s understandable that AU coach Gus Malzahn would not want to bring two quarterbacks and the position battle was still ongoing at the end of spring with Joey Gatewood battling true freshman Bo Nix. If one emerges, AU should be able to contend, allowing for the Tigers’ daunting schedule (including the Daily Double of SEC East Division crossover games, Georgia and Florida.) But that matter hasn’t been settled. Neither has the situation at Arkansas, and while Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Kentucky have candidates, none of those teams are going to get the nomination.

Most of the attention will be on Tagovailoa and Fromm. The following question may not be asked in quite this way, but is probably the most important theme of the week: which one will be successful? The correct answer, given the expectations at Alabama and Georgia, cannot be “both.” It’s possible that one will win the SEC — it’s possible that both could even make the College Football Playoff. But only one (or perhaps neither) can finish the season with a national title. A long season is ahead for the two juniors, but it will be good to hear from both as the journey begins.

The one thing that won’t come up, hopefully, will be the question of whether Alabama will bring a quarterback to Hoover (or, if the whispers about next year’s Media Days are correct, Dallas) in 2020. There should be enough on the plate for 2019. Perhaps someone will be bold enough to ask Nick Saban about the future, although the reaction may not be a pleasant one.

Quarterbacks of NFL caliber are not the sole way to pick a winner in college football. On the other hand, all of last year’s playoff participants (and the near-misses) had one. This week won’t answer the questions, the season will. But chances are that someone out of those nine quarterbacks, maybe Tua, maybe someone else, will be the season’s biggest story.

A quote that shouldn't reassure LSU fans.

Jacob Hester, this morning on SEC This Morning. "Brady is running this ship."

Personally, I'd cringe when you've got an alum stating their ship is being captained not by the head coach, or offensive coordinator, but their passing game coordinator. In my view, it's not a recipe for success.

Alabama Football Coach Nick Saban has a reputation at ranting at sports reporters who ask questions he doesn’t want to answer. That’s not true. Those who cover Crimson Tide football on a regular basis have an understanding of how to phrase questions in a reasonable manner, and almost – repeat, almost – without exception Saban gives a clear, complete, and (usually) concise answer and moves on. Sometimes he rants for a moment, but then gives the answer the reporter (and his readers, because that's who he's working for) wants to hear.

In recent years – perhaps as reporters grew more savvy in how to ask questions – the coach has sometimes given the appearance of a man who will make his own opportunities. If he doesn’t get the question he needs to make his point, he’ll provide an answer that doesn’t quite fit the question, but which is the message he wants to get out.

On Wednesday at Southeastern Conference Media Days in Hoover, Saban will have his time before reporters. He is the star of the event and the main room will be packed.

This is different than what Alabama fans see on a regular basis, Saban before the handful of reporters who cover Crimson Tide football on a daily basis. Questions will come from reporters who cover other SEC teams on a daily basis and from a handful of those who cover college football in general on a national or regional basis. (Ordinarily, Saban is more congenial in dealing with these.)

One or more of those is likely to be working on a theme story with the same question for each of the 14 head coaches who will be in Hoover Monday-Thursday.

That said, what questions might Saban get, and what might be his reply? Here are some that wouldn’t surprise:

-Question 1. How will the 44-16 beatdown Alabama suffered at the hands of Clemson in last year’s national championship game affect the 2019 Crimson Tide football team?

Answer 1. Saban likely will point to every year being different, perhaps point out that Alabama has rebounded from seasons of disappointment to seasons of success, and resurrect his “never waste a failure” challenge.

-Q2. Last year at this time the competition between Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts was too close to call. Tua won the job and the 2019 season ended with Hurts electing to transfer to Oklahoma. This year the quarterback competition would seem to be among those vying to be Tua’s backup. How is that coming?

[Helpful hint to non-Alabama beat reporters: Don’t ask him to compare Mac Jones, Taulia Tagovailoa, and Paul Tyson.]

A2. Mac Jones has been in the system for a few years now [he is a third-year sophomore] and Taulia and Paul were with us in the spring. All of them are making progress.

-Q3. There were issues in Alabama extra point and field goal kicking last season. What is the outlook for that this season?

A3. Joseph Bulovas took over last year and finished with an Alabama record 75 made extra point kicks, but we did have some missed extra points. That’s not always the fault of the kicker – the snap, the hold, the blocking can be factors – but we do expect Joseph to be improved. He is a third-year sophomore. He also made 14-18 field goals last year. We also had [true freshman] Will Reichard in the spring.

-Q4. The same question for punting.

A4. Whoever won the job last year had a tough act to follow after four years of JK Scott. Mike Bernier took over midway through last season and did a good job. Skyler DeLong had a good spring. Will Reichard could also punt.

-Q5. Linebacker Terrell Lewis has missed most of the last couple of years with injury and didn’t have contact work in the spring. What is his status and the overall injury status of the team?

A5. We held Terrell out in the spring as a precaution, but he was cleared to participate. We’ve had a few issues that had to be cleared up, but everyone should be ready to go when we begin fall camp.

-Q6. As usual, you lost many players to graduation, the draft, and transfer – top two running backs, top two tight ends, center and left tackle on the offensive line, two defensive linemen, two linebackers, and two defensive backs. Has any of those positions been difficult to replace?

A6. We lost excellent players at a lot of positions, but we also have players we believe can be productive for us in those positions. If there is one of those that maybe has been a little more difficult because of numbers it might be tight end, where we lost Irv Smith and Hale Hentges.

-Q7. For the second consecutive year you have replaced many on your coaching staff. Much is made of the turnover of the Alabama staff, and particularly compared with the stability on Dabo Swinney’s staff at Clemson and also that it might affect recruiting when a prospect’s recruiting coach leaves. Is staff turnover a problem?

A7. We had a good coaching staff last year and some of them had opportunities, such as Mike Locksley getting the job of head coach at Maryland. We have replaced them with coaches we are very pleased with and the transition has been seamless.

-Q8. Why Duke?

A8. We’ve been trying to get neutral site games against good opponents for many years and it has worked out well for us. Now we’re moving towards some home-and-home series with teams like Texas and Notre Dame, but we’ll continue to have neutral site games in some seasons.

-Q9. The last time we heard, Auburn Coach Gus Malzahn had joined you in agreeing the SEC needs to have a nine-game conference schedule for football. You have now said “nine or ten.” Do you see any support from your peers or SEC administrators?

A9. No.

[He will ignore the follow-up question: “If Malzahn gets fired at the end of the season (as, it seems, about half the people writing about college football seem to think), does that mean you have no allies?]

-Q10. How has your hip replacement recovery progressed, particularly as to your golf game?

A10. I’ve made a complete recovery and was able to play some golf. [Note: He may or may not confirm or deny the word around the 19th hole that even before he was completely recovered enough to hit long irons or metal woods he was shooting in the mid-70s.]

Maybe you have a question for Coach Nick Saban. Share it here and it may get asked.(Don't bother with those get-me-blown-up questions, the ones my friends always suggest, beginning with, "Hey, Kirk, why don't you ask Saban...")

Back
Top Bottom