| FTBL 2019 Media Days (Monday, 7/15 through Thursday, 7/18)

The scheduling of games is a dead issue (Saban doesn't do it and is tired of hearing about it). Schools don't want to put Alabama on the schedule (how much is the payday for the small schools that volunteer to get beat up?). The P5 OOC games that are scheduled are all early in the season because teams can lose early and still make it to the playoffs. If the game before the Auburn game is changed to a P5 or G5 school, the losing team is out of the playoffs. How does playing UAB, Troy or JSU improve the schedule over New Mexico State or Southern Miss?

Yeah. May be dead....but it is an issue....and like issues unresolved.....it will continue to be "an issue". And it wont be resolved.....
sure...as long as NS is the HC....things are great.....bama can do anything they want...
Those days wont last forever....
you were round in 80s and 90s....you know how things can turn....
And state schools in competition are not better than the directional schools...but sure keeps the interest statewide than those others...
Its really like a lot of things....it really doesnt matter to me...lsu plays state schools...hasnt killed them.... jwhats the big deal?

Yeah. May be dead....but it is an issue....and like issues unresolved.....it will continue to be "an issue". And it wont be resolved.....
sure...as long as NS is the HC....things are great.....bama can do anything they want...
Those days wont last forever....
you were round in 80s and 90s....you know how things can turn....
And state schools in competition are not better than the directional schools...but sure keeps the interest statewide than those others...
Its really like a lot of things....it really doesnt matter to me...lsu plays state schools...hasnt killed them.... jwhats the big deal?

It's only a big deal because Bama can't reasonably justify their insistence on not playing in-state competition. Keeping all the money at home and in the state of Alabama is the most logical part of the argument for all those who would tell you it's all about the money. Which we know it isn't. The bigwigs have decided we can play UAB in baseball but not in football and basketball. How absurd can you get? You would think self-pride alone and some semblance of being a competitor would motivate the Bama administration to want another shot at the UAB basketball team who beat us in the big dance. It does at my house, but I'm not into politics.

....i hear bama admin saying..."o its so hard to get games scheduled....people think its easy but really hard". I laugh.ha..ha... they call uab today....they will have games any year they want...uab will reschedule anything to get a game...same for others...in state....
You want to talk about taking a quote and twisting it to resemble a pretzel ... here's your sign.

What you're stating here is absolutely false. UAB can not reschedule anything to get the game and most certainly can not change the CUSA conference schedule to accommodate your assertions. The same applies for Troy and South Alabama. Neither school can force their conference to change their conference schedules.

You want to talk about taking a quote and twisting it to resemble a pretzel ... here's your sign.

What you're stating here is absolutely false. UAB can not reschedule anything to get the game and most certainly can not change the CUSA conference schedule to accommodate your assertions. The same applies for Troy and South Alabama. Neither school can force their conference to change their conference schedules.

^^^this^^^ The issue is completely related to the weekend prior to the Auburn game and you and I both have proved here beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is virtually impossible for Bama to schedule a FBS team on that weekend. I am in hopes that UCONN and /or the odd school out will be receptive to coming to Tuscaloosa then. Before the AAC replaces UCONN.

^^^this^^^ The issue is completely related to the weekend prior to the Auburn game and you and I both have proved here beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is virtually impossible for Bama to schedule a FBS team on that weekend. I am in hopes that UCONN and /or the odd school out will be receptive to coming to Tuscaloosa then. Before the AAC replaces UCONN.

When everyone has the same problem, problems tend to be worked out in quick fashion. For example, there are many quick fixes. My favorite, play 9 conference games and every one man up and play one another on that weekend. Or don't man up and adopt an extra bye week and save everyone a lot of wear and tear that weekend.

When everyone has the same problem, problems tend to be worked out in quick fashion. For example, there are many quick fixes. My favorite, play 9 conference games and every one man up and play one another on that weekend. Or don't man up and adopt an extra bye week and save everyone a lot of wear and tear that weekend.

I would like nothing better than to see the SEC go to 9 games. For many reasons, but if for nothing else to resolve this issue.

As for the NCAA going to a permanent 15 week season, I do not ever see that happening. Even if they did there would be no assurance that every school would take that week off if left open on the schedule. And you would never see the SEC mandate that on themselves.

Come on Terry. I know they cant change for 2019... obviously.... but any year past... could do in a snap... if it meant money and league exposure...
2020...as example only .... 9/26 bama has mighty kent state. And uab has mighty USA
You really believe u throw a bunch of money at those schools.... every one wouldn't jump...
But whatever. Aint gonna happen. But the bama admin whining about scheduling is bullshit ( with non power 5 schools... probably is difficult with power 5 schools cause they are in a conference smart enough to play 9 in conference games) and not playing in state is a hoax for whatever reason
But its a "non happening situation " Period. I know it A kudo for the BOA...

I would like nothing better than to see the SEC go to 9 games. For many reasons, but if for nothing else to resolve this issue.

As for the NCAA going to a permanent 15 week season, I do not ever see that happening. Even if they did there would be no assurance that every school would take that week off if left open on the schedule. And you would never see the SEC mandate that on themselves.

Someone is going to keep paying. When we go to an 8 team playoff all these extra games are on the back end. So 2 teams will be playing that 16th game before long. How does that extra bye week look to you now? Plenty of power 5 teams are starting the week before we get started. When the Bigwigs want something there it is.

Saturday, August 24th
Villanova at Colgate11:00 amCBSSN / CBSSN Video
Samford vs. Youngstown State (Montgomery)2:00 pmESPN / ESPN Video
Florida vs. Miami (Orlando)6:00 pmESPN / ESPN Video
Arizona at Hawaii9:30 pmCBSSN / CBSSN Video
Thursday, August, 29th
UCLA at Cincinnati6:00 pmESPN / ESPN Video
Florida A&M at UCF6:30 pmCBSSN / CBSSN Video
Georgia Tech at Clemson7:00 pmACC Network / ESPN Video
Texas State at Texas A&M7:30 pmSEC Network / ESPN Video
South Dakota State at Minnesota8:00 pmFS1 / FOX Video
Kent State at Arizona State9:00 pmPac-12 / Pac-12 Video
Utah at BYU9:15 pmESPN / ESPN Video
Games online only or not yet scheduled for nationally available networks
Alabama State at UAB7:00 pm$espn+ Video
Albany at Central Michigan6:00 pmespn3 Video
Central Arkansas at Western Kentucky6:30 pm$espn+ Video
Florida International at Tulane7:00 pmespn3 Video
Morgan State at Bowling Green6:00 pmespn3 Video
NC Central at Austin Peay7:00 pm$espn+ Video
Northern Colorado at San Jose StateTBATBA
Robert Morris at Buffalo6:00 pm$espn+ Video
Southern Illinois at SEMO6:00 pm$espn+ Video
Wagner at UConn6:00 pmespn3 Video

Come on Terry. I know they cant change for 2019... obviously.... but any year past... could do in a snap... if it meant money and league exposure...
2020...as example only .... 9/26 bama has mighty kent state. And uab has mighty USA
You really believe u throw a bunch of money at those schools.... every one wouldn't jump...
What you are suggesting here is a conference would change its own schedule, in a snap, to fulfill a date on another conferences schedule. In the years past, as your suggesting, also finds teams like UAB playing conference games. One can't pretend it's all on Bama when there are so many other aspects at play.

Your example of UAB playing USA as an alternative for Kent State completely disregards the agreement in place between those two schools. UAB hosts USA this season, and travel next season.

But the bama admin whining about scheduling is bullshit
Again, twisting the story. It's not the administration at Alabama whining. It's fans who don't have a clue as to the difficulty found in scheduling.

I see bitching about playing Duke and right alongside of that we see "let's schedule UAB." I see bitching about home games and the quality of opponents right alongside "let's schedule South Alabama." I see complaints about the game before Auburn and right alongside I see the reasons why you see FCS teams scheduled that week. (And don't forget, it was the other SEC teams that forced that game to be a week later.)
probably is difficult with power 5 schools cause they are in a conference smart enough to play 9 in conference games)
Smart enough to play nine conference games. Hrmm.

Clemson is going to play nine conference games this year. Currently, there's only one team in the top 20 in ESPN's FPI. Clemson.
Alabama is going to play eight conference games this year. Currently, there are six teams they'll face in the top 20 in ESPN's FPI. There's a possibility of seven if they face UGA or Florida in the SECCG.

Which schedule is the smartest?

Clemson is going to play nine conference games this year. Currently, there's only one team in the top 20 in ESPN's FPI. Clemson.
Alabama is going to play eight conference games this year. Currently, there are six teams they'll face in the top 20 in ESPN's FPI. There's a possibility of seven if they face UGA or Florida in the SECCG.

Which schedule is the smartest?

Clemson. They had the smarts to stay out of the SEC.

With 2019 Southeastern Conference Media Days less than a week away, there are plenty of pending issues to be discussed but one aspect that might be worthy of attention will pass without much fanfare.

There will be no new coaches doing the discussing.

Things move in cycles in the college football world. In some offseasons, there is a whirlwind of coaching turnover. Last year, there were numerous changes in the SEC, either with faces that were technically new although familiar to most fans (Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M), some that had been in the league but were wearing a different coaching polo (Dan Mullenat Florida), some that were at least familiar in Alabama (Jeremy Pruitt of Tennessee, coordinator of some powerful Crimson Tide defenses and noted supporting actor as a Hoover High School assistant coach in ‘Two-a-Days”) and a couple who required facial recognition technology just to get into the interview area — Joe Moorhead at Mississippi State, Chad Morris at Arkansas and Matt Luke at Ole Miss, who was technically making his first Hoover appearance although he had been handed a broom, a mop and an interim title to clean up the Hugh Freeze mess in the early part of 2017.

Those guys are all back this year. In fact, everybody is back. Not one of the 14 league schools made a change, and that should make 2019 interesting in and of itself.

The primary topic, even if no one would articulate it in quite this way, is why is everyone back in the first place? Many teams in the SEC had a solid 2018, but every single coach will be attempting to explain how 2019 can be better. That’s even true of Nick Saban. It’s ludicrous, in a way, to think the coach of the team that went 14-1 and made it to the finals of the College Football Playoffs will have to go to the podium next Wednesday and talk about what he did to fix things in the offseason. That’s the bar Saban has set for Alabama, though.

What’s more, he will probably tackle the topic head on. He won’t dodge questions about the Clemson game, or the wholesale staff changes that took place afterward. Some coaches will take about their teams gradually getting better, with goals of some sort of championship ahead, maybe in 2020 or 2021. Saban has no such luxury. So the paradox in Hoover will be that a coach who has lost one SEC game — one — since 2016 will have some explaining to do. What’s more, he won’t mind doing it.

The runner-up in that derby will be Kirby Smart, who had a great season with Georgia but has to talk (again) about finding a way to beat Alabama, in addition to the Bulldogs’ lackluster performance. Beyond that, Mullen and Kentucky’s Mark Stoops are coming off good seasons but Florida has higher expectations than being “surprising” and UK is going to have a hard time sustaining what it accomplished last year, no matter how Stoops explains it. For everyone else — yes, they are back but on what is more or less a trial basis.

Economics may guarantee another year for Fisher, but there is a lot on the line in 2019 for Jimbo, Gus Malzahn, Ed Orgeron and Will Muschamp. They can’t stake anything on patience at this point. Pruitt might have another year’s grace with Phil Fulmer’s strong support and it’s hard to know what the realistic outlook for the other teams will be. But fans won’t wait forever and neither will administrators, if the dollars start to dwindle. But all those coaches will have to sell improvement next week, and sell it hard.

Yes, every coach is back for another shot at SEC Media Days 2019. Does anyone want to make a bet that the same will hold true for 2020?

But whatever. Aint gonna happen. But the bama admin whining about scheduling is bullshit ( with non power 5 schools... probably is difficult with power 5 schools cause they are in a conference smart enough to play 9 in conference games) and not playing in state is a hoax for whatever reason
But its a "non happening situation " Period. I know it A kudo for the BOA...

Where's that money coming from? College sports is a business, not the government. Kent State has a contract to play in 2020, if they play. So you pay them not to play PLUS pay UAB/USA/Troy/JSU? Sounds like AOC economics.

Where's that money coming from? College sports is a business, not the government. Kent State has a contract to play in 2020, if they play. So you pay them not to play PLUS pay UAB/USA/Troy/JSU? Sounds like AOC economics.
We are not talking about dropping already scheduled games. We are talking about filling those holes in future schedules with a USA, a Troy or a JSU, rather than a Western Carolina, a LaTech or a UTC. Also, not that they have to fill the schedule with Alabama teams only, just put one in there every couple of years or so. The years when Bama has the worst home schedule from the SEC games would be the best ones to fill in with an in state team.

I probably will not even get to ask a question, as they have never seen me before and likely will go to the Cecil Hurts in the crowd for all questions. Even if I get the chance, I may go more with the "what 2 or three things would you change, if you were in charge of college football" type question that was posed on the last page.

If I got to sit down and interview Nick, then I might throw in the scheduling question, among others.

Most likely, I am just going to be there and enjoy the moment.

Hey....seen games bought out all the time...seen games changed all the time....if you haven’t seen...then you ain’t been keeping up....
Wheres the money coming from.....seriously!
I really dont care....who the ooc games are..... but i sure see more advantages insome being in state...not all...some..not AOC anyway you look at for state of Alabama.... if you are for all things Alabama....
the amazing thing is....bama does a 2 for 1 with south Florida.... just some things hard to figure...

@TerryP
So many "re" questions.....so many more answers....
***Start with an easy one....clemson-bama...."which schedule is smartest"....you play who is in your conference....but at least clemson plays 2 ooc teams in p5....
Have to see results to see who is smarter....
***A conference changing its schedule.....to allow conference teams to make more money....to stay solvent.....( there waseven a thought that some teams may drop football because of cost....even for a year may happen)...but back to point...
Yes....some changes "could" occur...."would" ....i dont know...but "could" ....
****whose is whining....well, i only saw bama admin "whining" about how hard it was......actually just stating.....sure it is....with other p5 conference schools...
How hard...looks like bama has awakened and got some good ones in future for us at BD.... if they dont get bought out/dropped/changed...see Michigan state/gatech recently...
****duke....lol....just checked stubhub....tickets under 30$... and its july...( will drop lower by mid August) lot of interest inthat puppy... wasnt Bamas fault...wasnt dukes....was ...whatever... our openers have been great...
****kent state...usa...uab.....teams adjusting schedules....happens a lot...if its good ...can reschedule....can buy out,.... bama actually willing to go 2for 1 with south Florida....u,mmmmm, .....left me shaking my head...
My thoughts......just thoughts...observations.....

Back
Top Bottom