| FTBL USA Today Wussies -- (On Saban and his comment to ESPN's Maria Taylor.)

Classless... CLASSLESS?

REALLY, SLIMEBAUM?

Hell, even Mack Brown, who's been a critic of Saban in his own rite, comes to Saban's defense (while still subtly showing signs of repressed, lingering Colt butthurt)...

That was great on macks part. Even shut finebomb up....
And if this classless.....and makes nick classless....as is earlier posted...then just admit the BEAR is classless

You know on one more note....he wasnt really talking about her ( i might think) specifically . But all talking heads....
Listen...thats what it sounds like... but also was same ...almost...she asked in pregame

She asked how he feels after their Louisville performance in the pre game? Ummm... Doubt it.

I almost agree with all 3. I wouldn't use the world classless like Finebaum, would be more like arrogant.

Arrogant to the fact that as the 2nd annalist noted - CNS has created the media shit storm. Does he really expect something differntly given the circumstances of the "competition" he's created? He could end it if he wants.

But he hasn't because of #3 - Mack Brown. He wants (maybe needs) both QB's....

So ultimately he's going to keep getting the same questions and that 8 million (ish) salary tells me he's smart enough to know that. If the "pressure" gets to be too much he can always handle it differently.

Nick Saban is a grown-ass man

Maria Taylor is a grown-ass woman

so why can't 2 goddamn adults have a questions and answer conversation without SOMEONE (not saying it was Ms. Taylor) getting sand in their vagina and acting like he disrespected her by answering her goddamn question?

if she feels she was disrespected, then she needs to say something to Coach Saban directly and then they can work it out between them. otherwise, everyone else needs to shut the fuck up about how disrespectful he was to her and how he owes her an apology. he owes her shit.

where is it written that coaches (or anyone else, for that matter) must respect reporters and those in the media? they're nothing but a bunch of bitch-ass pansies that cry every time someone hurts their feelings. if they can't handle getting answers that they may not like, then they better choose a career that doesn't depend on them asking dumb-ass questions over..and over...and over...and over...and over...and over...until the coach(es) get tired of it. they need to go back to their safe space and cry about how the world is unfair and if we all just hug, it'll make it all better.

pussies

You know on one more note....he wasnt really talking about her ( i might think) specifically . But all talking heads....
Listen...thats what it sounds like... but also was same ...almost...she asked in pregame

She asked how he feels after their Louisville performance in the pre game? Ummm... Doubt it.

Actually...just talking about QBs..who was the starter...etc..just wasn’t irritated by the stupid penalties yet....but that must have escaped you in all the fallout...(or the word almost) .....
I can put that in-caps for you next time

Actually...just talking about QBs..who was the starter...etc..just wasn’t irritated by the stupid penalties yet....but that must have escaped you in all the fallout...(or the word almost) .....

She almost asked the same question means she asked a different question........ yes, different......... But it's OK....... Because clearly.... Saban didn't hear that either.....

How sad that this is even an issue. The question Maria asked was perfectly fine and within the bounds of being reasonable. Saban's response was a bit crusty, but so what??? He didn't insult Maria personally and he was also right. It has nothing to do with Maria, it's any reporter asking about the situation. It's clear that Tua is a better QB, but Saban respects Jalen and doesn't want to disrespect him in a public forum. Plus people forget that Maria asked the question before the game and Saban was a bit terse in that response as well.

Having said all of that, I think Maria handled the situation in the moment very, very well. She didn't get upset in any way and just moved on to the next question. Other reporters may have crumbled into a blob of quivering jelly - she did great. And her subsequent tweet was also perfectly fine. So why is it an issue today? Maria Taylor doesn't need everyone else to jump on Saban on her behalf. She's a big girl and handled the situation perfectly all on her own. This country has gotten so soft and heaven forbid someone challenge the press in any way - the rest of the press is going to rally and use their media access as a bully pulpit. Oh, and Finebaum disappoints me.

Very much agree with your response....

But let me ask you this. You point out how soft our country is.... What about how the QB "competition" is being handled?

Because it sure seems like Saban himself is being soft in regards to not hurting anyone's feelings.... Potentially to the detriment of someone who's earning his own success.

I think that's a very valid question to ask. I'm not sure what is behind Saban's handling of this, but he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt that it's not just to spare Jalen's feelings. Maybe he feels like there may come a game where Tua is just off or taking too many risks and he needs to play Jalen. I don't know. But it is a valid question - one that he is not likely to answer straight up.

She almost asked the same question means she asked a different question........ yes, different......... But it's OK....... Because clearly.... Saban didn't hear that either.....
He heard exactly what she asked.

“Coach, everyone had questions about who was going to start at QB when this game started, what answers did get about your QBs after watching them both play tonight?"

We're supposed to assume that after he's been here for over 10 years, and after he's been in the profession for so many years, that a reporter doesn't know he does not compare one player to another? After he's said such, to the letter, on how many occasions?

He heard exactly what she asked.

“Coach, everyone had questions about who was going to start at QB when this game started, what answers did get about your QBs after watching them both play tonight?"

We're supposed to assume that after he's been here for over 10 years, and after he's been in the profession for so many years, that a reporter doesn't know he does not compare one player to another? After he's said such, to the letter, on how many occasions?

If he heard her, then why not answer as you did? "We don't compare players at Alabama. We have more class than that". Would have accomplished a lot more than getting butt hurt and yelling "I wish you'd quit asking the question". She asked it 1 time (to EVALUATE, not compare), he answered it salty.... Then had to apologize.

This idea that he has to disrespect someone is crazy... But since we're on the subject, he all but undressed McMillon without saying his name in the post game presser.... So it's not like he's against a little public embarrassment anyway. We all saw him destroy AJ in a blowout.... And he was the backup.

Like I said, he's handling Jalen with a whoooole lot of respect. So there's nothing to complain about on that end.

Last edited:
Nick Saban is a grown-ass man

Maria Taylor is a grown-ass woman

so why can't 2 goddamn adults have a questions and answer conversation without SOMEONE (not saying it was Ms. Taylor) getting sand in their vagina and acting like he disrespected her by answering her goddamn question?

if she feels she was disrespected, then she needs to say something to Coach Saban directly and then they can work it out between them. otherwise, everyone else needs to shut the fuck up about how disrespectful he was to her and how he owes her an apology. he owes her shit.

where is it written that coaches (or anyone else, for that matter) must respect reporters and those in the media? they're nothing but a bunch of bitch-ass pansies that cry every time someone hurts their feelings. if they can't handle getting answers that they may not like, then they better choose a career that doesn't depend on them asking dumb-ass questions over..and over...and over...and over...and over...and over...until the coach(es) get tired of it. they need to go back to their safe space and cry about how the world is unfair and if we all just hug, it'll make it all better.

pussies

THERE it is!

Why do most reporters, talking heads and media in general, think or believe they know exactly what John Q . Public wants to know? Hell, I didn't give one rats ass who was going to start the game. Maria said just before kick off that" everyone" wants to know who the starter was going to be. I Am part of everyone. I trust CNS and his assistants to recognize which QB gives the team the best chance to win games. I can't even hazard a guess at how many times since CNS has been asked and he answered the same question about the so called QB "controversy". What damned controversy are they asking about? There is Nothing controversial about a QB competition. I think all reporters, talking heads, journalists and media in general should get a life and stay focused on whats really important.

If he heard her, then why not answer as you did?
After answering the same line of questions for a decade it's your wish he repeat what he's said time and time again?

Paraphrased: "You're asking me to disrespect one player. I'm not going to do it. So stop asking." Blunt? Yes. Terse? No doubt. A big deal? Oh, hell no.

More importantly, is it not her job to know her audience and specifically the people she's interviewing? She was either trying to elicit an emotional response or she didn't have the foresight to realize "I need phrase this differently." The later is a skill you'll find in the youngest of children.

@footballer, We're talking about a group within the media that feel they are a moral authority. They feel they're in a position of leadership and what they say and think MUST be respected and adhered to--until it no longer is on their "to do list."

Within the last week-- "Nick Saban was, dare I say, recalcitrant towards the media on his quarterback predicament."

I see two options to take here. One, we take Chris Conner at his word. He not only understands the definition of recalcitrant but purposely used that word because it truly defines his position. Two, he was talking and is another example of a guy using a word whenhe doesn't know what it means. I tend to think it's number one, and he truly believes that's the case. You'll admit, it's pervasive in the media. I know this because I work with these guys and have for years. (And, I'm not shy about saying such.)

On a similar note:

When I was biking yesterday I was listening to Peter Burns Sunday podcast. His guest hosts said, "Saban should be more like Peterson (at Philly in the league.) Oh, this is the same Peterson who said, just last night' he's not comparing players or discussing positional starters in public. Terse? No doubt. Blunt? Yes. It it something Peterson has said on multiple occasions? Yes, again. But, this is a guy that is acting like the reporter thought he should--until he didn't when confronted on the same subject.

More important to this is what Burns asked, "if you're so upset about this what do you want? Mark Richt?"

After last night, or the last 15 years, do you want a Mark Richt type of personality at Bama? Hell no. You don't. He couldn't handle the pressure.

The best way I can describe coach Saban's demeanor and tone at times is that he often uses the same approach and coach-speak for the public as he does with the players. And that's not always going to be a good look. Given that the rest of us aren't on scholarship and don't get a lot of playing time on Saturdays.

If he heard her, then why not answer as you did?
After answering the same line of questions for a decade it's your wish he repeat what he's said time and time again?

Paraphrased: "You're asking me to disrespect one player. I'm not going to do it. So stop asking." Blunt? Yes. Terse? No doubt. A big deal? Oh, hell no.

More importantly, is it not her job to know her audience and specifically the people she's interviewing? She was either trying to elicit an emotional response or she didn't have the foresight to realize "I need phrase this differently." The later is a skill you'll find in the youngest of children.

She got EXACTLY what she wanted, Terry.... Which means she did her job extremely well.

She didn't expect him to "disrespect" Jalen (nor did any rational college football fan who knows Nick Saban), and I still don't know where Saban got that from, she wanted Saban to respond with passion and out of character because he's tired of trying to mislead the media. It's tough work. But again, has Saban not asked for this line of questioning? This is 2018, getting a response like that is now a badge of honor... Especially when that particular question is:

1. Not out of line - Related to evaluating the game
2. The question everyone wants her to ask (myself and probably 99% of everyone else watching the broadcast included)
3. Related to a position he's titled as a "competition to win the team". His words

If you're tired of the same questions, how about nipping them in the bud. Until then, expect more reporters to pick the scab and hopefully he handles it better.... That way he doesn't have to go back and apologize.

Here's something else nobody is even considering, something that Herbie and Fowler even alluded to.. "He's fired up, coaching harder when they're up 30 late in the game". Everybody (including the media) knows Saban is a perfectionist, and hates seeing even his backups make mistakes in mopup duty. They know it so much its become sort of a joke to them late in games. Remember him busting AJ's ass on the sideline for throwing into triple coverage in blowout mopup duty in 2010?

Sure, it was a convincing win. But sloppy in the 2nd half with penalties and blown coverages. One of Saban's greatest mantras that I've ever heard, and you don't hear it in public, was when I was working Saban camps while still coaching HS ball a few years ago:

"You're either coaching it, or you're allowing it to happen". Meaning, as in the case of Saturday, players tend to get lax and loose when we're up big, essentially goofing around and losing attention to detail, ie (something you HAVE heard before--"What to do, how to do it right, and why it should be done that way"). Despite the dominating win, he still saw A LOOOOOOOTTTT of mistakes on the field, and that had him fired up.

So, he was CLEARLY still pissed at the end of the game. Maybe this new sideline reporter didn't realize that, or she DID but didn't GAF. Either way, I think the onus is more on HER for jumping into the viper pit like a dumbass.

Aaron Suttles (former beat writer for t-news, so he was USED to those type of outbursts) scoffed at the mob outrage.

Last edited:
Just listened to Bill King - his take is that the bigger story is the national media having a hissy fit & coming to Maria's defense. What did Coach Saban REALLY do? He told her to quit asking the question & then he answered her other questions.
I couldn't believe ESPN was running notices at the bottom of screen last night that Saban had called & apologized.
(Think about what that says about political correctness in this country - this story is being treated as slightly below the Urban Meter story - give me a break)

What's worse? The annoying liberal media making a fuss about Saban's comments?

Or the Bama fan's that were surprised and disappointed Maria Taylor is asking Saban the most obvious and expected question?

Who's more sensitive here.... LMAO

Nothing wrong with either Maria or Nick. The confusing part is why Saban expects the media to STOP ASKING!

Back
Top Bottom