| FTBL USA Today Wussies -- (On Saban and his comment to ESPN's Maria Taylor.)

For a limited time, we're going to offer a Saban Rant Decoder Ring with every purchase of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies.

Every time Nick Saban pops his can of biscuits on national television after a five-touchdown victory, the Saban Rant Decoder Ring will interpret the behavior of a person who appears to be slightly unzipped, if not completely out to lunch and munching on Little Debbies everyday.

The ring has to be worn on your pinky like an angry mob boss.

So, slip on your rings, college football fanatics, and step into the maw of a Saban Rant. They're full sound and fury, but unlike tales told by idiots, they actually mean something.

As he is prone to do, Saban went a little sideways on Saturday night after Alabama 51, Louisville 14. Alabama's coach likes to put on his grumpy face whenever Alabama wins big, but this time was ridiculous. ESPN's on-field reporter Maria Taylor asked Saban to assess his quarterbacks after the game, and Saban got so mad I think his lips actually started quivering.

"What answers did you have after watching both your quarterbacks play tonight?" Taylor asked.

Saban's response: "I still like both guys. I think both guys are good players. I think both guys can help our team, all right."

Taken by itself, that's a perfectly sane answer. Saban could have stopped. He didn't. From there, he flipped into rant mode. Give the man an Oscar right now.

Saban continued: "So, why do you continually try to get me to say something that doesn't respect one of them. I'm not going to, so quit asking."

Saban came off like a bully. What gives?

Why was Saban howling like wolf at the moon on national television about a perfectly fine question everyone knew was coming?

OK, first off, the question was appropriate.

If Taylor didn't ask Saban about the quarterbacks after the game, then she probably would have been fired on the spot by her producer. Her question was perfect. Alabama's quarterback competition has been the biggest on-field story in college football since the end of January's national championship game, and everyone wanted to know what Saban thought about Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts.

Saban's rant was a window into his opinion, which should be obvious to anyone who watched the game. One of the quarterbacks is clearly better. Tagovailoa started the game and completed 12-of-16 pass attempts for 227 yards and two touchdowns.
In other words, Tagovailoa left no doubt. He's the guy. He looked like a little football wizard on his first touchdown throw to Jerry Jeudy.

Hurts, on the other hand, played like he usually does. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great either. He completed 5-of-9 passing attempts for 70 yards. He's going to be a great backup this season to a starting quarterback that has to be in the game, and had to start in the opener.

Of course, Saban can't say those things because they would be interpreted as disrespect.

"Why do you continually try to get me to say something that doesn't respect one of them?" Saban asked Taylor.

That wasn't asked, and only a paranoid person would interpret Taylor's open-ended question as some kind of trapdoor. Coaches are programmed to be paranoid by nature, but no one wants Saban to show disrespect to his players.

Saban was smartly deflecting attention away from Hurts. It's a classic interview tactic, and one Saban uses often when he doesn't want to answer a question. When you question the questioner, the focus shifts and a new reality is formed.

Saban was protecting his player, which is what good coaches do.

He also was letting everyone know that he's done talking about his quarterbacks, but if you've been wearing your Saban Rant Decoder Rings then you know exactly why.

There's nothing left to talk about.

Decoding what Nick Saban meant with latest QB rant

Yeah. 9 months of same question....yeah...could have been different.....but
it was a lot of mistakes from a lot of veteran players....
He was upset most of game. And she just stepped on a sore toe..
Hey.....Bear did same thing to a female sideline reporter...
Criticize nick....then you also criticize Bear..wasnt much difference the way I remember it

Just imagine for a moment of #2 were a white QB..........no questions would be asked the status of a lesser QB that lost his job due to the other player being much much better. That is why it should be just another number #2 or #13 just like it used to be.

Can you just imagine how many times in the past 8 months or so CNS has been asked about quarterbacks? I’m the father of four - the tension that builds by being asked something ad nauseum is to say the least nerve wracking. She prodded him before the game started and he said “wait 30 seconds and find out”. He was agitated with the play of the defense as the game ended and here she trots out to get a sound bite by staying on the same subject. I can’t say I blame him. Folks need to let it go. Want some controversy - let’s get back to Urban Meyer and enabling domestic abuse or DJ Durkin enabling a student athlete’s death.

If you're tired of hearing the question, and answering said question truthfully will solve this problem you're so tired of, why not handle it appropriately? And no one is saying "disrespect Jalen". Many ways to say Tua is the starter without "disrespecting" the backup.

Was anyone worried about Tua being "disrespected" last bowl season when Saban said repeatedly Jalen was the guy? Despite the fact that Tua was clearly at least in competition for snaps around playoff time?

This is why I say CNS is going above and beyond for Jalen. He and his dad have no leg to stand on in terms of complaining about their treatment (aside from the SEC media day which we've all debated). CNS is going so far that Tua isn't being credited for actually winning the job.

Could you imagine if Tua's dad came out and made a spectacle at this point? Which again, is why the story is about Tua. His maturity and unselfishness is amazing. Think about how he was recruited and told he could compete for the QB job at Alabama... And here he's more than clearly won the job and Saban will not publicly say as much and he has to share snaps. He and his family are handling this amazingly under the circumstances.

Let's be honest here, even a simple straight forward answer from Saban is not ending this conversation. There are people in this world that don't let things die even with a 100% truthful answer.

Same question asked thousands of times since Tua hit Smitty to win the Natty and the media doesn’t understand why Saban got just a little testy last night!!!
All they should have to do is go back to the ‘11 season and they would get their answer. A little different in that there were 2 unproven kids vying for the position and this one had a 2 year starter battling a hot shot gunslinger that saved our bacon in the Natty. Saban is trying to let it play out without disrespecting Jalen and also keep him engaged IF Tua did happen to go down with injury. What happens if he had named Tua the starter in the Spring? Jalen gets pissy and leaves or stays until December and is a cancer in the locker room. Saban respects both kids and he knows it is a delicate situation.

His wife was easy on the eyes from what I recall, wanna say he worked in sales at Caterpillar or something like that. His little boy (at the time) cracked me up with some of the stuff he'd do.

/tangent/ there was a church within 750' from our house (across the kudzu patch). My brother was down there playing basketball with some of his friends. Some dad thought he'd play adult ball with these kids who were 16 and he got a bit outta hand. My dad went down there and whooped this guys ass in the gravel parking lot.

Same question asked thousands of times since Tua hit Smitty to win the Natty and the media doesn’t understand why Saban got just a little testy last night!!!
All they should have to do is go back to the ‘11 season and they would get their answer. A little different in that there were 2 unproven kids vying for the position and this one had a 2 year starter battling a hot shot gunslinger that saved our bacon in the Natty. Saban is trying to let it play out without disrespecting Jalen and also keep him engaged IF Tua did happen to go down with injury. What happens if he had named Tua the starter in the Spring? Jalen gets pissy and leaves or stays until December and is a cancer in the locker room. Saban respects both kids and he knows it is a delicate situation.

What happens if he names him the starter in the Spring? We really don't know... But we do know Tua would have the full private and public backing of the current roster and coaching staff by now. Mac Jones would have taken every #2 snap this offseason as well. Some may see that as a positive or negative...

The issue now is how does Jalen handle his role moving forward? Would he have handled it differently if known ahead of time? I believe he's a super high character kid and will fall in line and do his best, but if his dad gets the best of him with the negativity, then his situation could def have a negative impact on the team moral.

After watching last night I do have questions about the importance of Jalen vs Mac as the #2. I still think Jalen can help us win games if used in the right situations, but if Tua goes down long term, Mac vs Jalen could be the next debate.

One other thought that came to me earlier...Saban more often than not uses the media to push a narrative to his players for motivation. I’m a pretty far cry these days from a 18-22 year old current or prospective collegiate athlete, but I’d hazard a guess that the feeling in the Alabama locker room and in living rooms of recruits is “look at how Saban defends his players”. That would make me play harder for him or rush to get in line to play for him.

Just a thought.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...interview-to-for-postgame-interview-outburst/

James Miller, noted author of a book about the origins of ESPN and another on the Creative Artists Agency, reported Sunday afternoon that Saban had called Taylor and apologized Saturday night.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...-saban-chewed-her-out-on-national-television/

You would think that a coach that had just got the shet beat out of him would tend to his own knitting...not Lane

whoaaaaaaaaaaaa...OU just scored again

Back
Top Bottom