| FTBL USA Today Wussies -- (On Saban and his comment to ESPN's Maria Taylor.)

The annoying Liberal media - they are paid.
Do you get sympathy at work when you get you azz chewed out?
My point is that this is being overblown - it happens at every other presser at Alabama during the season ….

Las time I checked, Saban is cashing checks as well. Handling the media is a huge portion of being a Head Coach.

He's been asked is to answer the question to a narrative he's created. And last night, it wasn't even that.... He was asked to evaluate the way a position on his team played. Pretty damn football related.

She got EXACTLY what she wanted, Terry.... Which means she did her job extremely well.
They wanted a "Saban rant." They got that. But, that means since she got Saban to rant she's done a good job? Okay.

SLO hits it on the head here...
Here's something else nobody is even considering, something that Herbie and Fowler even alluded to.. "He's fired up, coaching harder when they're up 30 late in the game". Everybody (including the media) knows Saban is a perfectionist, and hates seeing even his backups make mistakes in mopup duty. They know it so much its become sort of a joke to them late in games. Remember him busting AJ's ass on the sideline for throwing into triple coverage in blowout mopup duty in 2010?

Which set up the timing for Maria--he's always this tense after games that are blowouts (complacentcy) and stupid penalties/decisions?

She didn't expect him to "disrespect" Jalen (nor did any rational college football fan who knows Nick Saban), and I still don't know where Saban got that from, she wanted Saban to respond with passion and out of character because he's tired of trying to mislead the media. It's tough work. But again, has Saban not asked for this line of questioning? This is 2018, getting a response like that is now a badge of honor... Especially when that particular question is:
1. Not out of line - Related to evaluating the game
You are changing the narrative here to something that isn't true.

“Coach, everyone had questions about who was going to start at QB when this game started, what answers did get about your QBs after watching them both play tonight?"

That is asking for a critique on both quarterbacks.

2. The question everyone wants her to ask (myself and probably 99% of everyone else watching the broadcast included)
So, you wanted to hear Saban evaluate the quarterbacks, critique them with Maria, and he said it wasn't something he was going to do.

The annoying Liberal media - they are paid.
Do you get sympathy at work when you get you azz chewed out?
My point is that this is being overblown - it happens at every other presser at Alabama during the season ….

I thought the same thing. Real people get barked at at work all the time. But heaven forbid you bark at a member of the media. As Suttles said: Is that even close to the worst azz chewing Saban has given a media member? It's pretty sad how big of an issue this has become. AND he apologized!
PS - Has anyone even checked with Maris to see if it even bothered her? It sure didn't seem like it in the moment. I thought she handled it perfectly. Why is the entire ESPN media brigade assuming that Maria is so thin-skinned and easily offended??? She sure doesn't seem like it to me - don't think she needs anyone to come to her defense.

PS - Has anyone even checked with Maris to see if it even bothered her? It sure didn't seem like it in the moment. I thought she handled it perfectly. Why is the entire ESPN media brigade assuming that Maria is so thin-skinned and easily offended??? She sure doesn't seem like it to me - don't think she needs anyone to come to her defense

IMO, she had a right to ask the question. However, she does not have a right to get the answer she is looking for. The press does not have a right to know all the inner workings of a school, team, governmental entity, police department or company. It always gets my dander up when some military action against the U.S. takes place and the press wants details about how the U.S. will respond. Umm, if they told you, it wouldn't have the impact needed. If they said that they were going to bomb somebody, the somebody would leave and not be bombed. The press is not entitled to know who will start, what plays will be called, what weaknesses a team hopes to exploit, or what weaknesses or possible injuries a team may have.

The press does not have a right to know all the inner workings of a school, team, governmental entity, police department or company.
There is a pervasive attitude that they do have the right to know. I made mention of it within the last week when one of the guys on College Football Live said so--literally. They are an authority based on his comment.

Back
Top Bottom