| FTBL UA Coordinator/coaching changes— SPLIT into offensive and defensive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leonhard has less than half the talent Golding and Alabama have. Ask any coaches who the better defensive mind and play caller is - it’s Leonhard by light years

Will Muschamp is likely Auburn DC if they get freeze.
Glenn Schumann- 50/50.. he's real close with Kirby but he has family in T-town... Who knows.
Jim Leonhard- No thank you. It's not a upgrade. It's more of a swap with same results.

On Saban's comment on defense.. I don't think anyone realized that Auburn pulled out single wing offense. That's ancient offense. So You can't put that on Golding.

Look at what Saban said on that:
I'm telling you now. Leonhard would be an upgrade over Golding. And they did run that offense, however they didn't run it the entire game. I understand not being prepared for something when no one runs it in modern football. But there are adjustments for it because it's pretty much like playing Georgia tech under Paul Johnson. It's difficult, but it's not impossible to adjust.

I'm telling you now. Leonhard would be an upgrade over Golding.
There's nothing to support this. In fact, borderline ridiculous to think it's an improvement to hire a DC with no experience in the south to take over the Bama defense. Recruiting would take a huge hit.

In fact, I'd dare say, you'd be calling for his head in year two because he's proven he can't maintain a defense. Good one year, decent the next.

There are three teams in the Big 10 that are notable. Penn State who they lost to last year. Michigan who they lost to last year. They lost to IU and Iowa two years ago. And that's who you think is an improvement? Ohio State beat 'em twice in 2019 along with a loss to Illinois?

TDS found in political circles is kin to GDS, and you have it in spades.

They've been inconsistent.

DEI has them at #37 this season.
In '21, 9th.
In '20, 26th.
In '19, 5th.
In '18, 34th.
In '17, 7th.
I was mistaken. They've only been outside the top 10 twice.
Covers has it like this in total defense
17: 1st.
18: 41st.
19:9th.
20: 1st.
21: 2nd.
22: 13th.
Sports Reference.
17: 3rd.
18: 35th.
19:10th
20:10th.
21:4th
22: 25th.
Seems pretty consistent to me. Also, can have it both ways with that take, he may not face offenses of that caliber, but he also doesn't have the caliber players to work with either.

There's nothing to support this. In fact, borderline ridiculous to think it's an improvement to hire a DC with no experience in the south to take over the Bama defense. Recruiting would take a huge hit.

In fact, I'd dare say, you'd be calling for his head in year two because he's proven he can't maintain a defense. Good one year, decent the next.

There are three teams in the Big 10 that are notable. Penn State who they lost to last year. Michigan who they lost to last year. They lost to IU and Iowa two years ago. And that's who you think is an improvement? Ohio State beat 'em twice in 2019 along with a loss to Illinois?

TDS found in political circles is kin to GDS, and you have it in spades.
Sir, please do some research before spouting this out. He's had a top 10 defense every year apart from 2018 and 2022. Guess how many Golding has since he's been here? Take a guess. The defense he puts out on the field is good. However, there is a talent discrepancy, he doesn't have the players at Wisconsin that he would at Alabama. We'd be a consistent top 10 defense under Leonhard. But my first choice is still Glenn Schumann. Leonhard is my second choice. He may get snagged by the Packers or another team this season because he's a highly sought after Coach.

Ahhh, my bad. I had him mixed up with Brian Hartline from Ohio State. Another player/coach. Must be the anesthesia.
We don't know whether or not he would be a great recruiter. He's at fucking Wisconsin, a place where it's not exactly a recruiting dream. However, be gets players and develops them into NFL talent.

I was mistaken. They've only been outside the top 10 twice.
Covers has it like this in total defense
17: 1st.
18: 41st.
19:9th.
20: 1st.
21: 2nd.
22: 13th.
Sports Reference.
17: 3rd.
18: 35th.
19:10th
20:10th.
21:4th
22: 25th.
Seems pretty consistent to me. Also, can have it both ways with that take, he may not face offenses of that caliber, but he also doesn't have the caliber players to work with either.
Total defense. A four win Iowa State ranks higher than than Wisky.

To me, it's about defensive efficiency. Leonhard can't touch Golding's defenses in this category.

What I find baffling about this suggestion is the use of "caliber of talent" when it's clear he's not a recruiter.

Total defense. A four win Iowa State ranks higher than than Wisky.

To me, it's about defensive efficiency. Leonhard can't touch Golding's defenses in this category.

What I find baffling about this suggestion is the use of "caliber of talent" when it's clear he's not a recruiter.
Listen, I gave you the evidence. Do with it as you please. And yes, recruiting at Wisconsin is not the same as recruiting at Alabama. Put golding in that position and I'd bet he'd struggle as well. Leonhard has done better with 2-3 stars than golding has done with 4-5 stars. But I still want Glenn Schumann here first and foremost.

Listen, I gave you the evidence. Do with it as you please. And yes, recruiting at Wisconsin is not the same as recruiting at Alabama. Put golding in that position and I'd bet he'd struggle as well. Leonhard has done better with 2-3 stars than golding has done with 4-5 stars. But I still want Glenn Schumann here first and foremost.
The problem here is Golding's reputation for recruiting came from his time at UTSA and Southern Miss. He's going to now struggle at a P5 school? Okay. But we've got a guy who can't recruit to a P5 school and he's supposed to recruit in the SEC?

You gave the evidence and I can do with it as I please? While, all the time ignoring the defensive efficiency rankings of the defense? Tap dancing in a disco club, are ya?

The problem here is Golding's reputation for recruiting came from his time at UTSA and Southern Miss. He's going to now struggle at a P5 school? Okay. But we've got a guy who can't recruit to a P5 school and he's supposed to recruit in the SEC?

You gave the evidence and I can do with it as I please? While, all the time ignoring the defensive efficiency rankings of the defense? Tap dancing in a disco club, are ya?
Hugs and kisses, Terry.😄

This wouldn’t be an upgrade by any measure

I think he can call a defense that doesn’t come out of a timeout with 12 guys on the field.

I don’t think he runs a 1-4-6 defense on 3rd and 5 vs a mobile QB with zero players on the second level, no spy, and 2 deep safeties aligned at 15 yards off the LOS

I think he can call a defense that doesn’t come out of a timeout with 12 guys on the field.

I don’t think he runs a 1-4-6 defense on 3rd and 5 vs a mobile QB with zero players on the second level, no spy, and 2 deep safeties aligned at 15 yards off the LOS
He isn’t an upgrade over Golding in any measure. Make a change fine, but to make a change to a lesser coordinator is asinine

As for the 12 guys thing, that was just dumb, but it’s not just Golding, hell the greatest HC of all time was standing right there as were a ton of other coaches

Just on the topic of recruiting... who would you say are the top 5 (no particular order) that Golding has brought to Alabama?
Kool-Aid, Dallas Turner, Drew Sanders (oh how the fans have loved him this season,) Holstein, Byron Young, Latham, Blackshire, Oatis ...

This notion a school can bring in a Yankee and he's going to recruit in the south is ... seriously. Alabama's name would open the door. Grandma isn't cooking dinner. He's not a recruiter.

Hugs and kisses, Terry.😄
You be you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom