| CURRENT EVENTS The donkey in the room... Does Biden stay on the ballot?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Barring a health issue, I say yes. IMO, it's just too late to make the swap/change at this point. If what I've read is correct (along with my understanding/interpretation of it), a handful of states have a hard deadline coming up very soon, where a Biden is locked in regardless (unless he dies or something). The 25th amendment being invoked has been thrown around by some, but that supposedly can't happen without Biden himself admitting that he's unfit to serve or getting 2/3 of Congress to oust by vote... and I don't see that happening.

Let's say for the sake of argument though that Jill Biden has a change of heart for some rea$on and gets him to reject the nomination... who then replaces him? It's so late in the game, that Kamala would be the only logical choice (and maybe the only legal choice in some cases like the 25th being invoked). How does that help them? She's one of the few people in Washington who may be just as bad, if not worse, than a broken Biden. I just don't see any realistic path to replacing Biden with someone like Michelle Obama, Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer, etc. At best, one of them, or someone else, would have to take the VP slot behind Kamala.

But, I guess the simple, boiled down question is... Does this end up being Trump vs. Biden in November?

Man, it's a weird situation they are in right now.

Several years ago I suggested I thought they may push Gavin into the role...but good lord, if the do that? A white guy from Cali over the incumbent VPOTUS? It's just adding fuel to the shit storm.

Man, it's a weird situation they are in right now.

Several years ago I suggested I thought they may push Gavin into the role...but good lord, if the do that? A white guy from Cali over the incumbent VPOTUS? It's just adding fuel to the shit storm.

Yeah, they are in a tight spot in a number of different ways... but as far as I can tell, it's their own fault. But I for one will never count out Trump on his extraordinary ability to pull a Leon Lett at the 1 yard line.

The 25th Amendment does not need Biden’s approval. If you remember, Democrats wanted Pence to invoke the 25th to remove Trump after January 6th.

Biden leaving the ticket isn’t that simple. Several states have held their primaries that promise their votes (the people’s votes) for Biden. They can’t legally give those votes to a different candidate and any new candidate can’t just take the votes from Biden without some legal shenanigans. Can you imagine the screams of ruining our democracy if the votes don’t count and they just give the votes to somebody who wasn’t running?

The 25th Amendment does not need Biden’s approval. If you remember, Democrats wanted Pence to invoke the 25th to remove Trump after January 6th.

Biden leaving the ticket isn’t that simple. Several states have held their primaries that promise their votes (the people’s votes) for Biden. They can’t legally give those votes to a different candidate and any new candidate can’t just take the votes from Biden without some legal shenanigans. Can you imagine the screams of ruining our democracy if the votes don’t count and they just give the votes to somebody who wasn’t running?

Without it, it would take 2/3 of Congress though, correct?

I think he withdraws from the ballot and they have an open convention. Watching all of those factions fight would be pretty entertaining, and the drumbeat for Harris - almost daring someone else to come to the forefront - is hilarious.

My question is if he decides he's not well enough to run again, why not just resign now?

I think he withdraws from the ballot and they have an open convention. Watching all of those factions fight would be pretty entertaining, and the drumbeat for Harris - almost daring someone else to come to the forefront - is hilarious.

My question is if he decides he's not well enough to run again, why not just resign now?
If he resigns now, Kamala takes over immediately. I think even Joe knows his diversity hire isn’t ready.

Back
Top Bottom