| CURRENT EVENTS The Border Bill. I've got what I think is a simple question. Thoughts?

TerryP

Staff
There are several different aspects of the proposed bill I don't like. If I were sitting in Washington, I'd have voted against the bill. No second thoughts.

There is one thing about that proposal that just doesn't make sense to me given what we've been told.

One of the components of the bill is they would stop border crossings, every day, when they reach the 5000 limit. If I understand this correctly, #4999 and #5000 can get in, but #5001 is stopped (until tomorrow.)

If they have the ability to stop at 5000 doesn't that mean they have the ability to stop at 1?

We’re not sending Ukraine actual money nor have we, we’ve sent weapons and the money int he bill you’re outlining was for more weapons.

20.2 billion for the border….if the right wanted more they shouldn’t added border to the fucking 881 billion dollar defense budget they passed you know defense and all, but they didn’t and why is that? Pretty simple they have zero interest in securing the border with Biden in office because then they lose their bitch chip and they have to think of something else to campaign on and their chicken shit Orange Jesus will give them their marching orders
$26.4 billion in financial aid (money).

How much aid the U.S. has sent to Ukraine, in 6 charts

Of course, the Pentagon isn’t the best source for financial accounting:

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/...l-loss-23-trillion-day-before-911-2023-09-14/

Pentagon Audit Showing $1.9 Trillion in Missing Assets Signals Urgent Need Not for More Money but for Reform

Last edited:
.if the right wanted more they shouldn’t added border to the fucking 881 billion dollar defense budget they passed you know defense and all, but they didn’t and why is that? Pretty simple they have zero interest in securing the border with Biden in office because then they lose their bitch chip and they have to think of something else to campaign on and their chicken shit Orange Jesus will give them their marching orders
I'm going to have to read this again before I go to sleep for a bit.

A no war "chicken shit." How does that work.

Should’ve added the border. They passed a ridiculously expansive defense budget (that we don’t need btw), but part of the defense of this country isn’t the border?
A few months ago the DOD released a report about how depleted the arms supply has become. They pointed to Ukraine.

I've not looked at the budget for defense so I can't comment on this. I can see a need for at least having a supply.

Should’ve added the border. They passed a ridiculously expansive defense budget (that we don’t need btw), but part of the defense of this country isn’t the border?
I have to go back to an earlier post.

A bill that was singularly designated to support the border efforts was killed. Why do you think that the border should be in the defense bill?

I'm of the opinion we need single line items: no addendums.

I have to go back to an earlier post.

A bill that was singularly designated to support the border efforts was killed. Why do you think that the border should be in the defense bill?

I'm of the opinion we need single line items: no addendums.
Well because isn’t the border part of defense?

I’m of the opinion we need single line bills, but the government on both sides will never go for that

Well because isn’t the border part of defense?
It is. And it's a good point to bring up; in hindsight.

It brings me to another story.

"Symbolism over substance." That's a lens I look through. Hell, the title of a final when I was in school. I judge a lot through that view. Today it's commonly called "virtue signaling."

We just saw the confrontation with the military and those crashing the border wall/gate. Their (US military) presence was symbolism. There's no substance to enforce the security of the border.

Were they allowed to do what they are trained to do? No. People who are trained to eliminate a threat are being posed on the border. Posed. (Those coming through the border know this as well.)

By no means am I advocating for them to start shooting. I am saying this has disaster written all over it in bold letters. If they are rushing the military on our border now ... dude.

It is. And it's a good point to bring up; in hindsight.

It brings me to another story.

"Symbolism over substance." That's a lens I look through. Hell, the title of a final when I was in school. I judge a lot through that view. Today it's commonly called "virtue signaling."

We just saw the confrontation with the military and those crashing the border wall/gate. Their (US military) presence was symbolism. There's no substance to enforce the security of the border.

Were they allowed to do what they are trained to do? No. People who are trained to eliminate a threat are being posed on the border. Posed. (Those coming through the border know this as well.)

By no means am I advocating for them to start shooting. I am saying this has disaster written all over it in bold letters. If they are rushing the military on our border now ... dude.
Technically they were National Guard. Still, I’m sure their orders are to maintain order, not keep them out.

Technically they were National Guard. Still, I’m sure their orders are to maintain order, not keep them out.
I know we're delving into semantics. Isn't the National Guard military?

We were out one day on the boat and the National Guard (Navy) were running drills. Our boat was boarded by those guys because we were watching too closely. (We were guinea pigs for their drill.)

Their guns were loaded.

I know we're delving into semantics. Isn't the National Guard military?

We were out one day on the boat and the National Guard (Navy) were running drills. Our boat was boarded by those guys because we were watching too closely. (We were guinea pigs for their drill.)

Their guns were loaded.
Yes it’s military, but not full time. The state governor can call the Guard in a moment’s notice. This was one of the “issues” with January 6 when the DC mayor didn’t use the National Guard that were authorized by Trump.

Yes it’s military, but not full time. The state governor can call the Guard in a moment’s notice. This was one of the “issues” with January 6 when the DC mayor didn’t use the National Guard that were authorized by Trump.
I know. I've refrained from bringing that up here.
While I realize I wade into hypotheticals, I also realize one of those guys are a going to get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom