| FTBL Faulting officiating for a loss is an idea I refuse to entertain. However, I'm beginning to entertain the idea of more public accountability.

Consider this.

In Texas officials will get at least $100 a game. If they travel 90+ miles it jumps to $200. I understand the SEC officials are getting 5K per game.

I don't think there's a shortage.
You’re probably right, I was just wondering out loud. It’s a real challenge at the HS level here in Tennessee. This is far from TX here! Doubt they pay $100 per game. But hell, I wouldn’t call a game for $100. Got at least 4 hours tied in to it. You’d have to really enjoy it for $25 an hour. A friend of mine is a teacher and officiated all types of sporting events. Asked me Sunday if I’d consider trying out for an officiating gig. He loves the abuse the fans throw at them, he relishes in the antagonist role. He doesn’t care about the pay if it’s $40 or $100. $5k for a weekend and I’d start considering it, but it’s not like you can just enter at that level. Took a local guy here 20 years to get to the level to call SEC games and has recently held the down marker for a playoff game.

But heck, every company around here is hiring.

In my life, I have watched countless number of games, both college and professional. I have never read official rule book regarding downing a punt. But it has always been my understanding that when a member of the punting team Touches the ball, it is a Dead ball and receiving team begins offensive play from that point.
It's in Section 1 of the rule book. When is the ball live or dead. Another of those "weird season" moments.

They screwed up on the call but the result was legal.

@TerryP A hypothetical play. Ball is punted, hits the turf at say the 25 yard line, bounces and happens to graze the leg or foot of player of punting team, but ball continues down inside the 5 yard line where it is downed again by punt coverage player. Where should the ball be spotted? I have seen many instances where this has happened in many college games as well as the pros, I believe. If it was determined that the ball did indeed first touch a coverage player, the ball would be placed at that spot.

@TerryP A hypothetical play. Ball is punted, hits the turf at say the 25 yard line, bounces and happens to graze the leg or foot of player of punting team, but ball continues down inside the 5 yard line where it is downed again by punt coverage player. Where should the ball be spotted? I have seen many instances where this has happened in many college games as well as the pros, I believe. If it was determined that the ball did indeed first touch a coverage player, the ball would be placed at that spot.
It's first touch. Whistle blows the play dead. Official signals kill clock.

OK first touch. The punt in question was first touched by Missi St player near the goal line and slapped back to the 7 1/2 8 yard line where another coverage player touched the ball down; ball was not moving at that point. Whether the ref forgets or does not blow his whistle on purpose. the ball is dead at that point. The ref did throw a bean bag or something at the first touch at near the goal line and also threw a bag or something at the second touching at or near the 8 yard line and started the arm motion to stop the clock before the Mem player grabbed the ball.

My point is the ball is dead at first touch near the goal line. This may not be in the book, but if refs can stop a play because a ref inadvertently blows a whistle before a play is over and stops a play, there should be a common sense rule to know when a ball has been touched down and is a dead ball, whether ref blows a whistle or not.

Back
Top Bottom