| FTBL Texas A&M Week...

So a QB that takes a sack/lost yardage when running out of bounds while attempting to pass instead of throwing the ball out of bounds is going to read all those options you listed?

Is that your story.

Milroe is playing a game with an I3 processor when a I5 is required.

I have not said I like what I see from Milroe in the pocket - he shouldn't be taking sacks when scramble lanes are available. He shouldn't be taking sacks when outside the pocket.

What I am saying is that if they are going to run the style of runs they like out of the gun, but not tag RPO slants to it, they won't be able to block the A&M front 7 consistently. If they don't allow the QB to read the EMOL on inside zone runs from the gun, they are forgoing playing 11 on 11 football and taking away what Milroe can do with his legs, which is ostensibly why he is the QB to begin with.

You have to have companion plays to the core run scheme or you aren't moving the ball against this D consistently.

This is obviously a big game for Bama's offensive line, but it is a huge game for Rees. It'll be interested in seeing how successful he can be in getting the offense in good spots for 2nd and 3rd down... it won't be easy and will likely take some chess moves to a degree as the game wears on. A&M is going to win some matchups up front. They are also going to bring extra guys, something they overwhelmed Arkansas with. Bama is ranked 119th in pressure rate allowed (36.5%)... not good, obviously. A&M also excels at putting teams behind the chains on 3rd down, they are 2nd best in the Power 5 in forcing opponents into 3rd and 7+ situations (39%). Alabama simply can't afford those hurdles all afternoon... and you almost have to factor in a couple of false start penalties too because of the noise. So, can Bama make some headway consistently on 1st and 2nd down? Milroe & Co. will have to execute it for sure, but step 1 is, Rees has to be pushing the right buttons. Will be a big game for the young OC.

Flip side... a lot of the talk has been about Bama's OL and Milroe vs. the A&M defense. Max Johnson vs. the Bama defensive backfield is a matchup I really like for the Tide. I believe there will be some opportunities there for Bama to flip the field a time or two and steal some points. This also feels like a game where a fake on special teams will come into play at some point.

No denying though whichever team walks away with the W, also walks away with a much clearer path to Atlanta... We are barely into October, and the West is a bit of a log jam, but one team having the head-to-head over the other would be a pretty big token to have in their pocket. LSU already has one loss, and still has to play both Bama and A&M. A&M has 3 tough ones left... @ Vols, @ Ole Miss, and @ LSU. We know Bama's road, and they've already clipped Ole Miss to collect that token. Another one tomorrow would be massive.

@Brandon Van de Graaff , I think we should play the long game offensively. 3 yards & a cloud of dust type of game plan. This helps with the following:

1st. Sets the tone for the Offense to be okay with pounding that DL all game long. Tenderize them. Football is supposed to be a physical game. This will run its course if we hold serve on the ground & pound. Can Rees hold his nerve w/ calling run play after another? I don't think they'll hold up if we stay at it.

2nd. Takes pressure off Milroe to try do something spectacular. Just play within the run, throw only to his first read (if WIDE open), then go. Do NOT take losses by running out of bounds. Throw that ball away... a lot.

3rd. Run games tend to travel well, especially in hostile enviorments. Less things to go wrong.

4th. Demoralize with Reichard's kicks. It sends a message that we are ok with just backhands all game long.

2nd and 6.
3rd and 4.

If they meet those numbers, or better, it's a W.

Agree. In some ways, this week has reminded me of the, "offensive line can't handle it" talk leading up to the '21 SECCG with Georgia... The Bama line responded that day. Can this group? If they can, the postgame narrative will match up as well.

Back
Top Bottom