| FTBL Something I want you guys to seriously chew on...

TerryP

Staff
You've probably seen me mention, on several occasions, looking forward to the attrition on the team. I've always refrained from making comments about players on the team while they were still on campus. Although, I have mentioned there are playes on this team that I won't be disappointed when their eligibility is up or they graduate and move on.

In the spring of this year in an effort to improve discipline, encourage players to assume leadership roles and accountability Saban organized a Peer Leadership/Intervention Council on the team. In itself, it is a great idea when it works.

Yesterday Cecil Hurt made a comment that echoes something I've felt all year long. He said, and I paraphrase this, that Saban's road to addressing the discipline issues on this team with some of those in leadership roles was a lot like having convicts on a parole board.

Now, take that analogy and compare it to different things that have upset you, let you down, etc. over this year.

It may not make you feel better, but it should leave you with a greater understanding of how things are transpiring in year one of his tenure.

One thing that also comes to mind are comments and discussions, seemingly forgotten, right after spring camp. A lot here understood the notion that things very well may get worse before they get better. Saban said this, almost verbatim, at a luncheon one day this past spring. I feel a lot of people heard that or read that in it went in one ear and our the other.

Just a little food for thought this morning...

TerryP said:
You've probably seen me mention, on several occasions, looking forward to the attrition on the team. I've always refrained from making comments about players on the team while they were still on campus. Although, I have mentioned there are playes on this team that I won't be disappointed when their eligibility is up or they graduate and move on.

In the spring of this year in an effort to improve discipline, encourage players to assume leadership roles and accountability Saban organized a Peer Leadership/Intervention Council on the team. In itself, it is a great idea when it works.

Yesterday Cecil Hurt made a comment that echoes something I've felt all year long. He said, and I paraphrase this, that Saban's road to addressing the discipline issues on this team with some of those in leadership roles was a lot like having convicts on a parole board.

Now, take that analogy and compare it to different things that have upset you, let you down, etc. over this year.

It may not make you feel better, but it should leave you with a greater understanding of how things are transpiring in year one of his tenure.

One thing that also comes to mind are comments and discussions, seemingly forgotten, right after spring camp. A lot here understood the notion that things very well may get worse before they get better. Saban said this, almost verbatim, at a luncheon one day this past spring. I feel a lot of people heard that or read that in it went in one ear and our the other.

Terry, this is a great thing for breakfast this morning........ Good Read :D

Thanks for the sensibility in a mad world.

If we lose to ULM in year 3, Saban will be the one to blame... he clearly is not to blame in year 1.

I don't pretend to know the daily goings-ons in T-town, but I do faithfully attend the games. There is a noticeable difference in the players that "do it right" and the ones that don't. You can tell the ones that give 100% and the ones that go through the motions.

Watch which linebackers make the correct reads and take the right angles. Watch which DB's sacrifice themselves to make a first-down-saving tackle. Watch which linemen run downfield to make the extra block. Watch which receiver runs his route full speed, even when he isn't the primary receiver.

When your "leaders" are the ones going through the motions, your chances of success are greatly reduced.

Bryant34 said:

If we lose to ULM in year 3, Saban will be the one to blame... he clearly is not to blame in year 1.

I don't pretend to know the daily goings-ons in T-town, but I do faithfully attend the games. There is a noticeable difference in the players that "do it right" and the ones that don't. You can tell the ones that give 100% and the ones that go through the motions.

Watch which linebackers make the correct reads and take the right angles. Watch which DB's sacrifice themselves to make a first-down-saving tackle. Watch which linemen run downfield to make the extra block. Watch which receiver runs his route full speed, even when he isn't the primary receiver.

When your "leaders" are the ones going through the motions, your chances of success are greatly reduced.

I agree, but to the same point WHY ARE THEY ON THE FIELD??

By the nature of college football your leaders are usually your upperclassmen. Obviously there was a lot lacking with the former staff as far as discipline, both with respect to off the field decorum as well as class attendance and work. I greatly appreciate Saban's approach as a big turn around from the atmosphere that football players are above the rules and should be rescued from whatever trouble they get themselves into to a culture where football players are expected tp not only behave but to be good examples. On the drive home last night I was listening to The Ultimate Sports Show and heard Chris Stewart say that he had looked at a list of the 22 players who were finishing up their eligibility this year, starting out by eliminating those who played little or none. On his revised list he said that there were only two players that he would actually miss. I confess that there are a couple of big time disappointments to me. Without calling names, let's just say that the biggest one is part of a family that has brought a lot of glory to U of A football.

Being a management type, I have in the course of time bean exposed to various courses and seminars that discussed organizational culture. Even from the occasional glimpses that an outsider gets of the internal aspects of that team, it is apparent that there is a toxic culture on our football team, and it seems to be related to the older players. It will take a while for the remaining players from the old regime to cycle through the system, and perhaps those that stay will buy in to Saban's way of doing things. It helps that nowadays a scholarship is a one year at the time thing which means that the true miscreants can be told that they are no longer welcome.

I admit that I hate losing as much as anyone, but to fix our team so that the groundwork is laid for ongoing success is what we hired Saban for. We may have some success over the next year or so based on returning players becoming more committed to the process, but we won't reach the pinnacle until Saban's recruits have reached the upperclassmen ranks.

TerryP said:

Thanks. Helps to keep things in perspective.

I also remember a few folks who predicted a 7-5 season and admitted they could accept such a record given the circumstances. Well, the team is one win away from that mark.

I guess I would be willing to take MSU and ULM losses for wins over Tennessee and Auburn right now.

But then again, I don't have much choice, do I?

psychojoe said:
By the nature of college football your leaders are usually your upperclassmen. Obviously there was a lot lacking with the former staff as far as discipline, both with respect to off the field decorum as well as class attendance and work. I greatly appreciate Saban's approach as a big turn around from the atmosphere that football players are above the rules and should be rescued from whatever trouble they get themselves into to a culture where football players are expected tp not only behave but to be good examples. On the drive home last night I was listening to The Ultimate Sports Show and heard Chris Stewart say that he had looked at a list of the 22 players who were finishing up their eligibility this year, starting out by eliminating those who played little or none. On his revised list he said that there were only two players that he would actually miss. I confess that there are a couple of big time disappointments to me. Without calling names, let's just say that the biggest one is part of a family that has brought a lot of glory to U of A football.

Being a management type, I have in the course of time bean exposed to various courses and seminars that discussed organizational culture. Even from the occasional glimpses that an outsider gets of the internal aspects of that team, it is apparent that there is a toxic culture on our football team, and it seems to be related to the older players. It will take a while for the remaining players from the old regime to cycle through the system, and perhaps those that stay will buy in to Saban's way of doing things. It helps that nowadays a scholarship is a one year at the time thing which means that the true miscreants can be told that they are no longer welcome.

I admit that I hate losing as much as anyone, but to fix our team so that the groundwork is laid for ongoing success is what we hired Saban for. We may have some success over the next year or so based on returning players becoming more committed to the process, but we won't reach the pinnacle until Saban's recruits have reached the upperclassmen ranks.

And thank you for your post, psychojoe. Patience is gonna be the hardest thing for this fanbase to find these next couple of years. We need reminders like yours and TerryP's to help stay the course.

Terry you are correct as always, I had hope that Coach Saban could install some disipline in some players, but some kids just don't get it. I have heard of things of some of the things some players have done forutunate for them it was last year when they occured so they had a clean slate when CNS took over or they would be off of the team I'm sure and these were starting players as well. I sure they will be some players leaving and not just seniors at the end of the season and a QB may transfer as well, that is just my thinking.

It is going to take CNS getting the kind of athletes he want's in his program before things get the way they should be. And I hope he never sugarcoats anything with the players, if you screw up you will pay for it and learn for it and not be praised and I hope the administration and powers that be understand that as well.

bear facts said:
psychojoe said:

And thank you for your post, psychojoe. Patience is gonna be the hardest thing for this fanbase to find these next couple of years. We need reminders like yours and TerryP's to help stay the course.

What's that old saying, factor? Lord, give me patience . . . and give it to me NOW!

Bryant34 said:

Then is he also not the one to praise for beating Tennessee and Arkansas? This makes no sense.

pleasedonotfeedthehobokdo7.jpg

TitanTiger said:
Bryant34 said:

Then is he also not the one to praise for beating Tennessee and Arkansas? This makes no sense.

The game is never one persons to blame. He himself said he didn't prepare the team like he should have. I still am very glad we have him though don't get me wrong.

TitanTiger said:
Avoidance. Nice tactic.

It's a legit question. You can't have it both ways.

Where exactly was the avoidance. I think he was to blame for the ULM game, but that doesn't mean we should call for his job. The guys were also to blame just like they deserved as much praise as he got or more for the tennessee game.

crimsontradition14 said:
TitanTiger said:
Avoidance. Nice tactic.

Where exactly was the avoidance. I think he was to blame for the ULM game, but that doesn't mean we should call for his job. The guys were also to blame just like they deserved as much praise as he got or more for the tennessee game.

There is no honesty in his question. He is simply trying to produce a reaction. He'll probably succeed.

crimsontradition14 said:
TitanTiger said:
Avoidance. Nice tactic.

You didn't avoid it. I was responding to AlaphaMale and you posted while I was doing that. I've edited my post to reflect who I was talking to. I appreciated your attempt to actually answer the question.

AlaphaMale said:
crimsontradition14 said:
TitanTiger said:
Avoidance. Nice tactic.

There is no honesty in his question. He is simply trying to produce a reaction. He'll probably succeed.
Actually, it was a completely honest question. I've heard this sentiment several times amongst the Bama fans either on the radio or in the office and I wondered how people could make that statement. The same folks who were praising Saban for how he'd turned the team around in beating Arkansas and pounding Tennessee suddenly either blamed the players or pointed out that they were "Shula's" recruits with no blame given to Saban. That's inconsistent.

Back
Top Bottom