| NEWS Slade announces he's leaving for the NFL

That is what I see. With his athletic ability, I figure he might make a 53 man roster for a season or 2 and then head up a practice squad for several years. If that scenario plays out, it could set him up to have a pretty good life w/o having to grind like the rest of us in the real world.
Practice squad players don’t make typical NFL salaries (or minimums). While it’s more than your average first-year college graduate, the pay is only for the season.

NFL practice squad salaries: Minimum salary, rules & more to know for 2021

Practice squad players don’t make typical NFL salaries (or minimums). While it’s more than your average first-year college graduate, the pay is only for the season.

I know that the money isn't like a NFL roster......but if he makes the league minimum for a couple of years......that will be around a million bucks for 2 years. Then make a practice squad. According to that website, he would make around 150k a year minimum. It will go up and would be paid more having been in the "show". The guys that move from the 53 man roster down to the practice squad make about 250k for the 17 game season. I would love to be on a practice squad for about 4 years after having made roughly a million in the NFL.

No it's not the millions that some of these guys earn, but it sets up pretty good to get a head start in life.

I know that the money isn't like a NFL roster......but if he makes the league minimum for a couple of years......that will be around a million bucks for 2 years. Then make a practice squad. According to that website, he would make around 150k a year minimum. It will go up and would be paid more having been in the "show". The guys that move from the 53 man roster down to the practice squad make about 250k for the 17 game season. I would love to be on a practice squad for about 4 years after having made roughly a million in the NFL.

No it's not the millions that some of these guys earn, but it sets up pretty good to get a head start in life.
The life of a practice squad player has to be pretty tuff since they are often on more than one team each season. I guess they just rent an apartment at each stop and hope for the best. Those that actually have a family with them could really be a struggle. I believe the players are paid by the week/game and not the entire 52 weeks so you better be good with money as well.

Best of luck to all of them and their families.

These guys get post graduate degrees really fast these-a-days. Man, I took the wrong electives or something and I came in with some credits from AP course in high school! How people get an undergraduate degree and masters in 3.5 years while also playing a sport is incredible.

These guys get post graduate degrees really fast these-a-days. Man, I took the wrong electives or something and I came in with some credits from AP course in high school! How people get an undergraduate degree and masters in 3.5 years while also playing a sport is incredible.

The difference is they are HIGHLY monitored, where you and I were not. These guys have their own advisors where we have to fight to see one. Think, they take classes all Fall, all Spring, and I'm sure A and B term through the Summer. That's knocking out a lot of classes pretty quick. All paid for as well. Tutoring, the whole gambit to help these guys out. No issues from me here as they sacrifice a lot of time to play ball and earn those perks. But that's how they knock it out. If they play their cards right they can dominate school and set themselves up right.

Back
Top Bottom