| FTBL SECG week...y'all wanna talk about Georgia?

Injury wise, unless Jace is truly injured, we're in pretty good shape. Key and Lawson will be closer to 100% this week and we desperately need some good run defense this week. Georgia will do their best to dominate the LOS on offense and we need to not let that happen or we will have another long day like Auburn trying to keep up against the offensive sides.

He is injured, but the team is still in pretty good shape overall. A good chunk of guys are not at 100%, but that's any team at this point. Overall, this is the healthiest Bama has been with their main guys going into the SECCG in a good while.

I don't know if our safeties can keep up with him. If you have to depend on secondary to keep up with Bower, then that's not good at all. It should never lead to secondary to stay on him.

How do you stop him? Playing coverage won't help much because he is very aware of the game situation and where to find the holes. So, we'll need to bring mixture of coverages such as zone and man to man, to keep them guessing and Downs/Moore/Key and others needs to be very physical and aggressive.

My suggestions to the guys who is covering Georgia receivers on the offensive side: Play through the hands, knock the ball out. They love to hide their players once the ball is snapped so keep eyes on where they are and make sure everyone is locked in... Do that and Georgia will struggle.
Pass rush is going to be the best way to cover Bower.... That is a strength of ours. Smart at some point will just try and line up and run the ball down our throats. He has the horses. We have to match it with our own horses which we have.

No one knows how healthy Bowers, or McConkey, are going to be this weekend.

I didn't think Bowers would be back for the Tennessee game and he was, and made a difference, so even not being 100% he's still a target and one we better take care of. I'd rather us get beat defending him with our best resources than allowing status quo and their best player beat us.

First

Everyone says they have to cover Bowers...and then he turns around and has a big game.....its just not easy ...if possible...to do

Uga....QB....looks like he has been trained by....joe burrow...at times anyway

KS knows how to get a D ready better than any HC...and has talent....that is Bama-ish

But...their record vs bama...is weak....and we all know...even without saying...the injuries to our 2 wide receivers...in the 2021 nc game was the difference.....they absolutely could not cover Williams..

...this should be fun...and we all can bet...the committee will be tuned in...

Man I just don’t know about Campbell guarding Bowers. That’s a mismatch in coverage. They’ll move their guys around a lot pre snap…we got to be schooled up and ready to go.

Could be a long afternoon.

Everyone has to play their best game and take care of their assignment.

I’d expect Bowers and McKonkey will be ready…probably resting up during GA Tech to heal up a little better for us - that’s what I’d prepare for atleast.

If you look at his stats it is hard to say they held him back.
Maybe I just don't remember them, but how many designed runs did Milroe have last week? That's what I'm referring to as "holding him back". The offense we ran against awbarn won't get the job done this week. Even if they spy him, Milroe is faster and probably as strong as their LB's.

Each phase of the game has got to be better this week.

We’ve got to “heat” Beck up and get him off of his spots and make him uncomfortable back there. I don’t see us trying to lock down Bowers with an ILB in Campbell or anyone else. We’ve just got to make his touches as painless as possible and eliminate any busts in coverage.
Does anyone else think Carson Beck looks like a young Lurch?

IMO, Alabama needs to put some pain on Beck.

We’ve got to “heat” Beck up and get him off of his spots and make him uncomfortable back there. I don’t see us trying to lock down Bowers with an ILB in Campbell or anyone else. We’ve just got to make his touches as painless as possible and eliminate any busts in coverage.
"Heat Beck up" sounds weird when you word it like that ... Sounds like something I would tell my wife on Friday night after 3 large glasses of margaritas and I'm telling her, " let me go ahead and heat my peck up."

Man I just don’t know about Campbell guarding Bowers. That’s a mismatch in coverage. They’ll move their guys around a lot pre snap…we got to be schooled up and ready to go.

Could be a long afternoon.

Everyone has to play their best game and take care of their assignment.

I’d expect Bowers and McKonkey will be ready…probably resting up during GA Tech to heal up a little better for us - that’s what I’d prepare for atleast.
Campbell's been our best coverage backer by far this season. It's one of the reasons why he's earned the starting job over Marshall. It's tough matchup for anyone in the country covering a healthy Bowers, it's a big task.... but if there's anyone on this team that could do it, it be him.

I don’t see us “heating “Beck up. Our pass rush has been very spotty.

Campbell's been our best coverage backer by far this season. It's one of the reasons why he's earned the starting job over Marshall. It's tough matchup for anyone in the country covering a healthy Bowers, it's a big task.... but if there's anyone on this team that could do it, it be him.

I don't agree with you on this one. Not even close. Being our beat coverage linebacker isn't saying a ton as we get beat a ton there. I still think we stick a faster more athletic defensive back on him.

I don't agree with you on this one. Not even close. Being our beat coverage linebacker isn't saying a ton as we get beat a ton there. I still think we stick a faster more athletic defensive back on him.
And we may do that, did I say we should mainly have Campbell covering him? No, I didn't. But it's likely that they're gonna match up a good bit before it's apparent of how that's gonna go. There's tons of different ways, and coverages we could use to try and stop Bowers... we'll see how shapes up in the game. And Campbell has without a doubt been our best cover backer, I feel good about his ability in that match up.... but we'll see. Also, having a db on him could potentially be an extreme mismatch for Georgia. Bowers is like 245 pounds, and still has elite speed and a pretty good vertical. It also makes me nervous because it likely would be Key/Story guarding him, and aside from Downs, our safeties haven't been very consistent in coverage this season. Maybe I'm wrong(hopefully). Tons of different ways we could go about it, can't wait to see how we intend to do it.

You realize you are saying the same thing I've said for years: comments you've disagreed with in the past. :devilish:

This defense is going to get beaten by a TE or RB against a OLB, ILB, or one of the S's.

On that same note...

No matter the defense or team every squad out there is susceptible to a dual threat quarterback: including the style of defense Kirby employs.

Back
Top Bottom