| MBB/WBB đźŹ† SEC CHAMPIONS | Alabama Men’s Basketball Clinches Regular-Season SEC Title with 64-59 Win at Mississippi State

B

Bama News

After failing to lock up the SEC regular-season title on Wednesday, No. 6 Alabama will get another chance over the weekend as it travels to Mississippi State on Saturday. The Crimson Tide beat the Bulldogs 81-73 in Tuscaloosa, Ala. earlier this season.
Here’s all the information you need to know about Saturday’s game.

How to watch
Who: Alabama (18-6, 13-2 in the SEC) vs. Mississippi State (13-11, 7-8)
When: 5 p.m. CT, Saturday, Feb. 27
Where: Humphrey Coliseum, Starkville, Miss.
Watch: SEC Network (play-by-play: Paul Sunderland, analyst: Joe Kleine)
Radio: Crimson Tide Sports Network (play-by-play: Chris Stewart; analyst: Bryan Passink; sideline Roger Hoover)

Alabama projected starting five
Herbert Jones: 6-foot-8, 210 pounds, senior
Stats: 11.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 3.0 apg, 46.4% FG, 52.6% 3-pt
Jaden Shackelford: 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, sophomore
Stats: 14.1 ppg., 3.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, 40.4% FG, 32.0% 3-pt
John Petty Jr.: 6-foot-5, 184 pounds, senior
Stats: 13.0 ppg., 5.0 rpg, 2.1 apg, 45.1% FG, 38.9% 3-pt
Joshua Primo: 6-foot-6, 190 pounds, freshman
Stats: 8.5 ppg., 3.4 rpg, 1.0 apg, 43.7% FG, 40.9% 3-pt
Jordan Bruner: 6-foot-10, 225 pounds, graduate
Stats: 7.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 1.7 apg, 47.1% FG, 33.3% 3-pt

Mississippi State projected starting five
Iverson Molinar: 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, sophomore
Stats: 16.5 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.7 apg, 47.4% FG, 46.2% 3-pt
D.J. Stewart: 6-foot-6, 205 pounds, redshirt sophomore
Stats: 16.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.8 apg, 43.1% FG, 35.9% 3-pt
Derek Fountain: 6-foot-9, 210 pounds, freshman
Stats: 5.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, .9 apg, 50.0% FG, 45.5% 3-pt
Tolu Smith: 6-foot-10, 245 pounds, redshirt sophomore
Stats:12.6 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.1 apg, 58.8% FG
Abdul Ado: 6-foot-11, 255 pounds, redshirt senior
Stats: 5.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg, 51.0% FG

Notes and quotes

— Alabama’s magic number is one in terms of clinching its first SEC regular-season title since 2002. Alabama holds a 2.5 game lead over Arkansas with three games remaining, meaning that a Crimson Tide win or a Razorbacks loss would lock up the conference title.

However, that doesn’t interest Nate Oats at the moment. During his Friday Zoom call with reporters, the head coach said there was too much focus on clinching the SEC title heading into Alabama’s loss at Arkansas on Wednesday. Moving forward, Oats challenged his players to lock in on the task at hand and let everything else take care of itself.

“We talked way too much about stuff that had nothing to do with going 1-0 and winning the game,” Oats said. “The rest of the year, we’re going 1-0 and then after that one’s done we’ll go 1-0 again and then after that one’s done we’re just repeating.”

— There’s been a lot of frustration among the Crimson Tide fan base after Alabama was whistled for a season-high 32 fouls during its 81-66 loss to Arkansas. However, Oats said he doesn’t want to hear any more complaints from his players.

Friday, the head coach said the team spent the final segment of its cleanup session looking over players’ reactions to fouls. Oats voiced displeasure in his players' reactions and said he even purposely made poor calls during practice to test his team’s composure.

The 32 fouls called against Alabama were the most charged against the Tide in a regulation game in the past decade. Adding to the frustration, Arkansas held a 43-8 advantage in free-throw attempts on the night.

“We talk about controlling what you can control,” Oats said. “You cannot control what calls the referee makes whether they are good, bad whatever.

Some of our reactions to the calls were bad reactions on solid calls. We fouled them, and we reacted as if we didn’t foul them.

“Foul a 3-point shooter, and it was definitely a foul and we throw our arms up like there’s no foul. You fouled them. It was a dumb play. It’s the most inefficient play in basketball, fouling a 3-point shooter. We did it multiple times, and then we react as if it’s the referee’s fault. It’s not the referee’s fault when you run into a guy shooting a 3.”

— Alabama’s struggles near the basket continued against Arkansas as the Tide was just 14 of 28 at the rim while allowing the Razorbacks to record 11 blocks. Mississippi State offers a similarly strong inside presence on defense with three starting forwards listed at 6-foot-9 or taller.
Oats said his team will have to do a better job of using its perimeter game to pull the Bulldogs’ bigs away from the rim in order and open up better scoring opportunities.

“They’re essentially starting two centers and a power forward, so they’ve got a lot of rim protection,” Oats said. “Hopefully with [Jordan] Bruner making some shots, you can pull one of those bigs away from the rim, make him play Bruner a little more honest.

“I don’t know exactly how they’ll match up. I’m guessing [Abdul] Ado will be on Bruner. Whoever they decide to put Tolu Smith on should be a perimeter shooter who we can hopefully [use to] pull away from the rim and get the shot-blocking away from the rim with how we play and spread the floor.”

— Alabama’s loss to Arkansas was its third defeat in its last four games. While Razorbacks fans did a nice job of creating an electric atmosphere inside Bud Walton Arena, limited-capacity crowds should, in theory, provide for less home-court advantage. Friday, Oats suggested that his team’s recent road woes have more to do with its mental preparation than the game environment.

“I don’t have an answer to it to be honest with you,” Oats said. “It’s not like there’s one thing we’re doing particularly bad on the road. I think it’s more just a focus, concentration, getting ready to go.”

— Alabama forward Herbert Jones is one of 10 players to be named as a semifinalist for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award. The senior currently leads the Tide in rebounding (5.7 per game), steals (1.7 per game), charges taken (12), deflections (80), floor dives (16) and blocked shots (25 total, 1.1 per game).

Bama looking much better. d doing an outstanding job. Don’t know who this tv commentator is, the one with the soft slow voice, but he sounds more like he’s conducting a coaching clinic than doing a tv
broadcast.

Coaching experience by Howland over Ists is showing up. His guys keep scoring in the paint and has stayed with. Oats letting Bama keep jacking up 3 and missing. MissEd 3 3’s in a row. At least run some clock

This has been a long time coming and am excited for these seniors especially ....

But ... With no one really having a midrange game , just makes me so nervous . I love the style till we get stagnant and then am griping to my wife about the midrange game .... I know you gotta race what you brought to the track , just not used to this style ... Yet .

Defense and effort won this game for them. Showed some grit for sure. Congratulations to the team and these seniors. Now that is behind you relax and just go play and take it as far as you can take it!!!!

Roll Tide..

Last edited:

STARKVILLE, Miss. – The No. 6/7 Alabama men's basketball team beat Mississippi State, 64-59, Saturday night to clinch the 2021 Southeastern Conference regular-season championship. It is the program's first conference title in 19 years dating back to the 2001-02 season.

Guard Jahvon Quinerly led the Crimson Tide with a game-high 19 points off the bench, while guard Jaden Shackelford added 15 points and six rebounds. Forward Herbert Jones pulled down a season-best 14 rebounds, including six on the offensive glass.

Alabama improved to 19-6 overall and 14-2 in SEC play with the win. The 14 wins in league play is tied for the fifth-most in program history.

Coach Oats Postgame Comments

"I'm really proud of our guys. It's not easy to win SEC Championships. I thought our kids played really hard, that's the hardest we've played in a long time. They did what we asked them to do. The offense didn't come easy. Give Mississippi State a lot of credit they made it hard to score and they hung in there and made it a tight game, but our kids rebounded the ball and played hard, diving on the floor for loose ball and taking charges. I thought our defensive effort was the best we've had in a long time. We'll get the offense fixed hopefully next week. I'm just really proud of the guys, because SEC Championships don't come easy."

Team Stats
  • Alabama clinched its eighth regular-season SEC title with the 64-59 victory
  • The Tide improved to 15-0 this season when holding the lead at halftime
  • Mississippi State shot 41 percent (24-of-59) to the Tide's 32 percent (21-of-65), but Alabama went 7-of-28 from the three-point line and limited the Bulldogs to 1-of-12 shooting beyond the arc
  • After shooting only eight free throws in its last contest, Alabama knocked down 15-of-17 from the charity stripe while Mississippi State hit 10-of-17
  • Alabama won the rebounding battle 45-40 leading to 19 fast-break points and 11 steals
  • The Crimson Tide bench was outstanding with 36 points while the Bulldogs' reserves scored just five
  • Quinerly finished the contest with 19 points on 8-of-16 shooting from the field and 3-of-6 from three-point land

EvRqLlFWgAAb-XT

Back
Top Bottom