| RECRUIT Recruiting Update 8-10-18

Best OL class ever?

We are still have a little time begore proclaiming Alabama as the top OL class in the history of Rivals.com. Alabama needs to close with a few more elite players before that happens. I do believe Alabama is in good shape with Darnell Wright, five-star offensive tackle from Huntington High School in West Virginia.

"It was fun," Wright said of the cook-out. "I finally got some of the family down there. So it feels nice to get comfortable with everyone.

"The best part of the visit was probably getting to hear about all the academic pathways especially in the things I am looking for. I will probably do Business. Maybe Finance."

My interview with Wright was cut short. We haven't been able to link up in about a week. So I've been sitting on these quotes hoping for a much bigger story, but this is probably all we are going to get for now. Wright is very quiet/humble kid. He doesn't like the media spotlight or any attention. According to one of his coaches these are the only quotes he has given since his trip to Alabama.

Expect Wright to make it back down to Alabama for at least one game this season. Possibly two. No, he is not privately committed. He and his coaches do not appreciate anyone saying it. Is Alabama in good position with him? Yes, but it's a long way to go. I've said for a long time no one is 'privately' committed if they are still taking visits elsewhere. Guess what? He is taking all five official visits. Most likely will visit Tennessee when they host Alabama. I believe Wright will sign with Alabama if signing day is today.

Recruiting - BONE: Friday recruiting notes... | BamaInsider.com

Evan Neal, Rivals100 offensive tackle from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, is also high on Alabama's recruiting board. I can't imagine Alabama landing Wright and Neal. Bama will gladly accept both. Neal is in daily communication with Alabama, but who else is he speaking with quite often? Miami is certainly a major contender. Most of his family are Miami fans. There is some belief in Tuscaloosa that Alabama is in the driver's seat. We'll see what happens. I don''t expect a decision any time soon.

I know I’ve posted some hypotheticals like what if Clay Webb does end up elsewhere. A lot of people will also talk about how Webb does not want to play center. Dalcourt will play center. I don’t think Alabama would have worked Pierce Quick at center during the summer or have interior players committed like Dalcourt and Bowles is there wasn’t a little concern.

Alabama is high on Dalcourt. They were not going to let him get away. He has the size and ability to play guard or center. He isn't limited to one spot. I will continue to say Webb is not a lock to Alabama. Bama will gladly take him and will wait for him to make a decision. Alabama will have the best OL class in the country when all is said and done regardless of Webb's decision.

Kaho expected in T-Town this afternoon
I know a lot of you hope I am waiting at the airport for his arrival and trailing him until he arrives in Tuscaloosa puts on pads and steps on the field, but it's not going to happen. He is set to arrive at Alabama this afternoon. I'll confirm when he arrives.

How much impact will he have? I know a lot of people see him as a highly ranked incoming freshman linebacker with high hopes of making a major contribution this fall. Where I believe he will contribute the most is by providing depth, mimicking LBs for other teams and on special teams. It takes a while to understand Alabama's defense. The majority of impact freshmen are players who arrive in January. Typically not players who arrive a week after fall camp begins.

Kaho has a lot of talent, no doubt. He can become a major player for the Crimson Tide, but I think it’s down the road. We've seen some special linebackers in Tuscaloosa, but the majority of those guys had to wait their turn.

I know depth is an issue, but it's tough for him to come in and immediately become a second team player. He is a great pick-up. He is going to help the team, but possibly not in a way others believe right away. That's just my take.

Alabama to add more commitments this month?

I am focusing on some defensive linemen. Jaquaze Sorrells, four-star defensive tackle from Largo High School in Florida, is scheduled to announce his decision on August 27. Most believe his decision is coming down to Alabama and South Carolina. The Gamecocks held a solid lead for him prior to his visit to Tuscaloosa in late July. Alabama really likes Sorrells. They liked him a lot on film and after spending time with him at the cook-out. He is a take. Sorrells has been pretty quiet since the visit. However, some believe he is trending to Alabama. We'll see....

There is some talk that Siaki Ika, four-star defensive tackle from East High School in Salt Lake City, is closing in on a decision. I've asked some of our guys who cover the West Coast, and the feeling is Alabama. I stated in another thread- all of those predictions would shock Alabama.

I know the coaches didn't feel good about him when it seemed like everyone else was predicting Alabama. He also wasn't a take back then. Now he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Alabama. Alabama has been thinking it would take another visit to Tuscaloosa to secure him though. I spoke with Ika a few weeks ago. All he really said was he planned on visiting Alabama after the season. I wouldn't look at that as 'he is definitely coming' since he is visiting down the road. Rian Davis told me the same thing after he committed to Georgia.

It's been a while since Ika has visited Alabama. He hasn't been as heavily recruited by the staff as players like Ishmael Sopsher, Nathan Pickering, DeMarvin Leal, Jaquaze Sorrells, Ty Robinson...I know a lot of people on this board want him in this class and believe because everyone else is predicting him to Alabama it means it will happen.

CamRon Jackson, 2020 four-star defensive tackle from Haynesville High School in Louisiana, is thinking about announcing a decision this month. Jackson was in Tuscaloosa for the cook-out a few weeks ago. He has a top three of Alabama, LSU and Mississippi State. I believe he is strongly favoring Alabama. He will announce for Alabama or nothing will happen. I am just not sure Alabama is ready to accept his commitment. I'll keep you all posted regarding the situation.

Back
Top Bottom