| RECRUIT Recruiting News: The Alabama class of 2017

Maybe lose some dead weight at WR too to make room for Nico Collins. By my count we stand to lose half of our WRs after next season, so we need quality youth to step up after the mass exodus.

Heard from a buddy we know of one receiver transferring. I'd rather have Ruggs than Nico Collins. Heard Collins plays down to competition and his motor is a question, he ce why he is dropping in the rankings so much. His size is killer, but you gotta want it as well

Oh didn't know that. Well the broader point is I think we need another quality WR commit to help buffer the sting of losing so much experience after next season (I'm including Ridley to the 2017 departures assuming he forgoes his senior season.)

Maybe lose some dead weight at WR too to make room for Nico Collins. By my count we stand to lose half of our WRs after next season, so we need quality youth to step up after the mass exodus.
If the QB develops better Passing skills and Bama runs a fast paced O, would need fresh legs to stretch the field for 60 minutes.
Robert Foster WR R-Sr. (did not really get any PT after aTm but got in the games against MSU and Chatta; if he grads soon could see him take the Chris Black route)
ArDarius Stewart WR R-Sr.
Raheem Falkins WR R-Sr. (grad 12-'16) TRANSFER??? has never really contributed or gotten much PT
Cam Sims WR Sr. seemed to be 1st next guy up this season.
Derek Kief WR R-Jr. (Should be close to grad? maybe if he gets done by Spring he could transfer out by Summer
Calvin Ridley WR Jr.
Xavian Marks WR Jr. (not sure he would be given additional P/KO return duties? (Bro is a WO DB - Torin R-S0)
T.J. Simmons WR So. (only real PT was on ST)
Trevon Diggs WR/DB So. Shows potential to be returner as well as WR
Tyrell Shavers WR Fr
Jerry Jeudy WR Fr
at least one more Fr

Walk-Ons
Donnie Lee Jr.
WR Sr. WO
Armani Purifoye WR Sr. WO
Thomas Woods WR Sr. WO
Jonathan Rice WR Jr. WO
Austin Johnson WR/QB Jr. WO
Parker Bearden WR Jr. WO
Josh Pugh WR Jr. WO

For anyone curious about the Recruiting Calendar.

Via NCAA: Recruiting NCAA member schools limit recruiting to certain periods during the year. Recruiting calendars promote the well-being of college-bound student-athletes and ensure fairness among schools by defining certain periods during the year in which recruiting may or may not occur in a particular sport.
  • During a contact period, a college coach may have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents.
  • During an evaluation period, a college coach may watch college-bound student-athletes compete, visit their high schools and write or telephone student-athletes or their parents. However, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents off the college’s campus during an evaluation period.
  • During a quiet period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write or telephone college-bound student-athletes or their parents during this time.
  • During a dead period, a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

View attachment 6360

GREAT post - but maybe I am being obtuse..... what is the difference, according to THIS, between a QUIET period, and a DEAD period????? I thought a dead period was NO contact with the student-athlete. Did the NCAA leave out the 'not' in the last sentence on the dead period???

If the QB develops better Passing skills and Bama runs a fast paced O, would need fresh legs to stretch the field for 60 minutes.
Robert Foster WR R-Sr. (did not really get any PT after aTm but got in the games against MSU and Chatta; if he grads soon could see him take the Chris Black route)
ArDarius Stewart WR R-Sr.
Raheem Falkins WR R-Sr. (grad 12-'16) TRANSFER??? has never really contributed or gotten much PT
Cam Sims WR Sr. seemed to be 1st next guy up this season.
Derek Kief WR R-Jr. (Should be close to grad? maybe if he gets done by Spring he could transfer out by Summer
Calvin Ridley WR Jr.
Xavian Marks WR Jr. (not sure he would be given additional P/KO return duties? (Bro is a WO DB - Torin R-S0)
T.J. Simmons WR So. (only real PT was on ST)
Trevon Diggs WR/DB So. Shows potential to be returner as well as WR
Tyrell Shavers WR Fr
Jerry Jeudy WR Fr
at least one more Fr

Walk-Ons
Donnie Lee Jr.
WR Sr. WO
Armani Purifoye WR Sr. WO
Thomas Woods WR Sr. WO
Jonathan Rice WR Jr. WO
Austin Johnson WR/QB Jr. WO
Parker Bearden WR Jr. WO
Josh Pugh WR Jr. WO

I would probably look to Bama adding Devonta Smith out of LA and/or Henry Ruggs from Montgomery.

The numbers always work there way out but part of the problem with getting all 5 star/4 star type players is they all think they should be playing. It is a great problem to have for us but it is tough when you have to fight thru 5 or 6 great players to find your way on the depth chart.

Robert Foster surprises be that he hasn't found his way on the field more. He is big, fast and talented but I think he lost out to Calvin and wasn't going to beat out Stewart for any playing time so he dissapeared. I just wonder why they didn't put him in there instead of Dieter.. it must be a blocking deficiency or bad attitude.

The numbers always work there way out but part of the problem with getting all 5 star/4 star type players is they all think they should be playing. It is a great problem to have for us but it is tough when you have to fight thru 5 or 6 great players to find your way on the depth chart.

Robert Foster surprises be that he hasn't found his way on the field more. He is big, fast and talented but I think he lost out to Calvin and wasn't going to beat out Stewart for any playing time so he dissapeared. I just wonder why they didn't put him in there instead of Dieter.. it must be a blocking deficiency or bad attitude.

I agree. He has shown flashes of brilliance and then got hurt. I just wonder if they put Dieter in over him is due to experience? I still think Mullaney's presence last year essentially handed Dieter the opportunity this year. Mullaney was huge for us last season.

I agree. He has shown flashes of brilliance and then got hurt. I just wonder if they put Dieter in over him is due to experience? I still think Mullaney's presence last year essentially handed Dieter the opportunity this year. Mullaney was huge for us last season.
I thought Foster was just way Smooth, loved watching him last year until he went down.. was thinking He would take one of the wides this year opposite Ridley with Stewart in the Slot; but again, that was my thoughts.. shows what I know.

Robert Foster is the MIA of this year's team. With his speed and size and what's he's already demonstrated on the field, can't believe we don't see him more out there. I'm thinking maybe this doghouse he's in has a deep basement and a dark corner where Robert resides. I hope he's as resilient as Tony Brown, but I think it's more likely he will be looking soon for a new start.

GREAT post - but maybe I am being obtuse..... what is the difference, according to THIS, between a QUIET period, and a DEAD period????? I thought a dead period was NO contact with the student-athlete. Did the NCAA leave out the 'not' in the last sentence on the dead period???

My understanding that during the 'dead period' only contact possible is recruit calling coaches but coaches cannot initiate any contact.

Didn't Foster tear his rotator cuff pretty badly last year? Some of y'all on here may know more about this than me, but a torn rotator cuff can be very hard to come back from and take many months, maybe more than a year or two to completely heal back to normal. I doubt that his shoulder is back to normal, and could have even reinjured it this year. You also lose a lot of strength because you can't lift weights with a bad rotator cuff. It would be hell just to lift your arm above your head. I believe that if he was well, he would have played a lot more than he did, certainly more than some of the second teamers who played.

My understanding that during the 'dead period' only contact possible is recruit calling coaches but coaches cannot initiate any contact.
This is what Mr. Google said.

What is a dead period?

During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

This is what Mr. Google said.

What is a dead period?

During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

I stand corrected. After a little googling, it seems that the the only significant difference in quiet and dead is no face to face contact.

Explaining CFB's recruiting calendar

Didn't Foster tear his rotator cuff pretty badly last year? Some of y'all on here may know more about this than me, but a torn rotator cuff can be very hard to come back from and take many months, maybe more than a year or two to completely heal back to normal. I doubt that his shoulder is back to normal, and could have even reinjured it this year. You also lose a lot of strength because you can't lift weights with a bad rotator cuff. It would be hell just to lift your arm above your head. I believe that if he was well, he would have played a lot more than he did, certainly more than some of the second teamers who played.

you are correct, Sir!!! Having had a triple bypass and a rotator cuff surgery, I would take the Bypass everyday over the shoulder surgery... I know his dr was way better than mine (I used the guy who does the UGA team's) but it was not a fun time.

Yep, Clark has had terrible luck. I was disappointed when he got moved to RB because that was a long shot for him. Thought he could've made a great safety or even coverage LB.

I could see Emmons being a possible casualty.
Aside from Clark IMO he's most likely to bounce. With the emergence of Jacobs (who's probably been our best back this season) and the Harris/Scarbrough combo, there doesn't appear to be many carries for him next season. Throw in the #1 RB in the nation and Robinson looks the part, someone is getting squeezed. Emmons was my fav back of the bunch, but it doesn't always work out.

Someone who calls himself an insider has told me that Emmons probably will be a casualty; his foot won't ever be the same. ?!?!?!?!? Oooooooooooooooooooooookay... I'll believe it when I see it. I like Emmons' change of pace from both Harris and Scarborough.

Someone who calls himself an insider has told me that Emmons probably will be a casualty; his foot won't ever be the same. ?!?!?!?!? Oooooooooooooooooooooookay... I'll believe it when I see it. I like Emmons' change of pace from both Harris and Scarborough.

Like "club foot"? lol

Goodness I hope not.

He was so intriguing out of HS. Hope he sticks around.

I watched Grayson play Roswell in the 7A GaHS finals Saturday night. DeAngleo Gibbs plays for Grayson. He is the #2 athlete in the county #10 ESPN top 300 5 star. He played WR and S. So far we are the only school he has visited. He is a big time stud and a classy guy.

I watched Grayson play Roswell in the 7A GaHS finals Saturday night. DeAngleo Gibbs plays for Grayson. He is the #2 athlete in the county #10 ESPN top 300 5 star. He played WR and S. So far we are the only school he has visited. He is a big time stud and a classy guy.

Whoever that Grayson kid was that was returning punts and kickoffs was something else. Probably ended up with 300 yards and every one of them called back. Still, good game.

Back
Top Bottom