| NEWS Ramsay replacing 8 football coaches, hires former Crimson Tide star Trent Richardson (RB's) - AL.com

B

Bama News

Ramsay football coach Ronnie Jackson was riding high after a two-year run when the Rams captured the 2022 Class 5A championship and won back to the final game in 2023 before falling to Gulf Shores.

The offseason dealt a staggering blow to the program when eight coaches left.

“Never in my life, never have I seen that before,” Jackson said of the turnover. “I was shocked because who leaves after we won it and then the next year we lost in the state championship.”

“But that’s one thing we do here at Ramsay. We learn how to adjust so I didn’t complain about it. I was happy for them and I just went to work.”

Jackson poured through lots of calls, resumes and interviews before hiring six new assistants, including former Alabama Crimson Tide running back Trent Richardson, who will handle running backs for the Rams.

“We somehow got connected through one of our players,” Jackson said of Richardson’s hire. “(The player’s) dad is really, really good friends with Trent and Trent was like it’s a good thing he was offered because he’s been getting offers for the last four or five years and the only reason he hasn’t been taking it is because his daughters were graduating and he wanted to be there for his kids.”

Other new coaches are Conley Langford (defensive coordinator), Anthony Conwell (offensive coordinator), Brandon Jackson (safeties), Derek Slater (linebackers) and Demetrius Beverly (receivers).

“We picked up a really good group,” Jackson said. “The defensive coordinator, he’s been at Miles for the last two years, the coordinator or D-line coach, and he’s been in Birmingham for a while so he is really good.”

Jackson has no animosity for the coaches who departed.

“They all had valid reasons and it’s not like I’m such a bad guy,” Jackson said, laughing. “They all like got upgrades, all did better for their families. Some of them wanted to go back to their old schools and opportunities came up.”

There was plenty of interest in the Ramsay positions.

“When I put it out there, everybody in America was trying to get in there,” Jackson said. “I had a lot of interviews. Oh, I’ve been very busy.”

Ramsay football coach Ronnie Jackson was riding high after a two-year run when the Rams captured the 2022 Class 5A championship and won back to the final game in 2023 before falling to Gulf Shores.

The offseason dealt a staggering blow to the program when eight coaches left.

“Never in my life, never have I seen that before,” Jackson said of the turnover. “I was shocked because who leaves after we won it and then the next year we lost in the state championship.”

“But that’s one thing we do here at Ramsay. We learn how to adjust so I didn’t complain about it. I was happy for them and I just went to work.”

Jackson poured through lots of calls, resumes and interviews before hiring six new assistants, including former Alabama Crimson Tide running back Trent Richardson, who will handle running backs for the Rams.

“We somehow got connected through one of our players,” Jackson said of Richardson’s hire. “(The player’s) dad is really, really good friends with Trent and Trent was like it’s a good thing he was offered because he’s been getting offers for the last four or five years and the only reason he hasn’t been taking it is because his daughters were graduating and he wanted to be there for his kids.”

Other new coaches are Conley Langford (defensive coordinator), Anthony Conwell (offensive coordinator), Brandon Jackson (safeties), Derek Slater (linebackers) and Demetrius Beverly (receivers).

“We picked up a really good group,” Jackson said. “The defensive coordinator, he’s been at Miles for the last two years, the coordinator or D-line coach, and he’s been in Birmingham for a while so he is really good.”

Jackson has no animosity for the coaches who departed.

“They all had valid reasons and it’s not like I’m such a bad guy,” Jackson said, laughing. “They all like got upgrades, all did better for their families. Some of them wanted to go back to their old schools and opportunities came up.”

There was plenty of interest in the Ramsay positions.

“When I put it out there, everybody in America was trying to get in there,” Jackson said. “I had a lot of interviews. Oh, I’ve been very busy.”
This is great for Trent. If he does well and I think he will, I can see him moving up quickly through coaching ranks.

Can we focus on positivity? FYI I know plenty of HC of different race that smokes and still coach up those kids.

Gotta lead by example, man. I am not good with this. If he does it, how can he jump on his players that do it? How can he do it and then think it will not affect the kids that call him out on it and do it themselves?

Look at Saban's comments. He said he used to drink, but stopped a long time ago because it kept him from being better and it wasn't the best example for his players.

Gotta lead by example, man. I am not good with this. If he does it, how can he jump on his players that do it? How can he do it and then think it will not affect the kids that call him out on it and do it themselves?

Look at Saban's comments. He said he used to drink, but stopped a long time ago because it kept him from being better and it wasn't the best example for his players.
We cant expect everyone to be holy perfect person like Saban was. If Trent is mentoring kids, and he has been doing that. I don't see any issues with it. If he got hired by school system, then he passed the background and drug check. So I don't see any issues. I think and this isn't shot at anyone in general, but I think people need to stop acting like they better than other, just because they dont' smoke weed.

I think this should be something we need to focus on: He got a job coaching running back. Congratulation to him and move on. Why question his choices? That's his personal life. I don't give a damn about what he does off the field. Just do your job on the field, and continue to be positive influence to them and that's it.

Can we focus on positivity? FYI I know plenty of HC of different race that smokes and still coach up those kids.
Not saying he can’t coach up some kids. The statement of him moving up the coaching ranks is what I was referring to……
He’s a good dude he really is, he knows football, his heart is usually in the right place..
However I’ve seen him no less than 30-40 times since the left the league, talked to him most of the time, hung out with him a few times snd he has been high every time….
Again I like the hell out of him, and he had a good money guy that cut him off from his money (hangers on, and money hungry family members) early on so he will never be “broke”.

We cant expect everyone to be holy perfect person like Saban was. If Trent is mentoring kids, and he has been doing that. I don't see any issues with it. If he got hired by school system, then he passed the background and drug check. So I don't see any issues. I think and this isn't shot at anyone in general, but I think people need to stop acting like they better than other, just because they dont' smoke weed.

I think this should be something we need to focus on: He got a job coaching running back. Congratulation to him and move on. Why question his choices? That's his personal life. I don't give a damn about what he does off the field. Just do your job on the field, and continue to be positive influence to them and that's it.

There is a bigger issue with it is the point. No one ever said Saban was perfect, just simply using it as a very close example we can look at. You're speaking about it as a one off, but we all know there is a drug problem in this country. How many lives are lost selling that pot to the guys you know? How many innocent people have been killed as part of turf wars, gang violence, cartel violence, and even under the influence?

I agree, good for him, because he has a lot to teach young kids. But I also don't want my coaches breaking the law and then trying to yell at my kids if they mess up. It just doesn't add up. I hold our politicians to the same standard. We could go all day, but I'll agree with you that we should be happy for Trent and hope he succeeds of course. Still my #2 favorite player under Saban.

When you are mentoring young kids, you must lead by example though. Follow the law! Set the standard and set it high! When I began coaching at 23 years old, I was single, had a couple of roommates and we partied/drank like fish! I never drank out in the public eye though, because I didn’t want my players/students to point at me and say “must not be anything wrong, because Coach does it!” Didn’t want parents to lose trust in me either.
What Trent does in his personal life is his choice. You don’t want stories floating around though that will tarnish your reputation.

When you are mentoring young kids, you must lead by example though. Follow the law! Set the standard and set it high! When I began coaching at 23 years old, I was single, had a couple of roommates and we partied/drank like fish! I never drank out in the public eye though, because I didn’t want my players/students to point at me and say “must not be anything wrong, because Coach does it!” Didn’t want parents to lose trust in me either.
What Trent does in his personal life is his choice. You don’t want stories floating around though that will tarnish your reputation.
Umm.. right. okay.

This thread just went from " Trent getting a RB job coaching kids..." to " Thou shall not smoke weed because kids are watching you."

What the fuck... LOL
Don't think they mean everyone shall not smoke weed but a high school coach is often a role model for high school kids and his role is as much about teaching them to be good men as it is to be a good football player, just part of the job. I'm not against weed at all, think it should be legal everywhere but until it is don't make it known that you partake if you're a coach and even if it is you should set an example by using responsibly just like drinking.

Don't think they mean everyone shall not smoke weed but a high school coach is often a role model for high school kids and his role is as much about teaching them to be good men as it is to be a good football player, just part of the job. I'm not against weed at all, think it should be legal everywhere but until it is don't make it known that you partake if you're a coach and even if it is you should set an example by using responsibly just like drinking.
Couldn’t agree more! Role model is the key! Lead by example!

I never drank out in the public eye though, because I didn’t want my players/students to point at me and say “must not be anything wrong, because Coach does it!” Didn’t want parents to lose trust in me either.
But there wasn't anything wrong with you deciding to have a drink in public. IF parents and kids are judging you because they see you having a beer with friends: the problem isn't residing in your shoes.

But hey. This is something I don't understand: can't wrap my mind around the idea.

People know you by who you are, how you act. In your case, how you conducted yourself on the field in your job. IF you are doing those things correctly, the idea of "you doing something wrong" by having a drink in public wouldn't cross their minds in the first place, right? (I have had experience with those who wont go in a business because they fear someone might think they are going to do something they wouldn't approve of...which makes no sense because they should know you wouldn't be doing that type in the first place.)

A few beers at Applebees doesn't change who you are nor does it change what you've taught.

Back
Top Bottom