| FTBL Phil Marshall on the Auburn loss to Bama ➕ his Sunday thoughts

18Champs

Losing the Iron Bowl always hurts. Losing by four touchdowns hurts even more.

The obvious truth is Auburn simply was not good to win. No. 1 Alabama treated the Tigers the same way they’ve treated everyone else.

There was never any doubt Alabama was going to score points. To have any chance Auburn had to be sharp on offense, and it wasn’t. Alabama’s defense had a lot to do with that. Auburn couldn’t run the ball when it still mattered. Injuries on the offensive line and running back Tank Bigsby being far from full-speed had something to do with that.

Williams dropped a sure touchdown pass on a terrific throw by quarterback Bo Nix. He might have had another opportunity had an Alabama defender not grabbed his undershirt. Nothing was called. Alabama was vulnerable on defense earlier in the season, but it sure didn’t look vulnerable Saturday, at least not until the game had been decided.

Going into the game, Auburn was the only SEC team that had not given up more than 30 points in a game. That’s over now. Auburn’s defense did a decent job for most of the day against Alabama’s running game, but it had no answer for the passing game. Quarterback Mac Jones’ five touchdown passes and Devonte Smith’s seven catches for 172 yards and two touchdowns attest to that.

What does it all mean? That’s the question of the day.

No matter how good Alabama is, being blown out in the Iron Bowl is not a good idea. Tommy Tuberville, who had won six straight Iron Bowls, lost 36-0 at Alabama in 2008 and was soon gone. Gene Chizik survived a 42-14 loss to Alabama at home in 2011, but that was one season after he won a national championship. He didn’t survive a 49-0 loss at Alabama a year later. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn survived an effort to make a change after losing 52-21 on his last trip to Tuscaloosa in 2018.

Auburn, a 24-point underdog, needed to at least look like it belonged. It didn’t. Malzahn has beaten Nick Saban-coached Alabama teams three times. That’s more than any other coach, but on its last two trips to Bryant-Denny Stadium, Auburn has been outscored 93-34. At the least, Malzahn, near the end of eighth season, is going to take some serious heat. Will it come from those who have something to say about his future?

This strange season isn’t over yet. Auburn plays Texas A&M at home next Saturday and at Mississippi State the following week. Will Auburn players be able to pick themselves up in time for another serious challenge? It bears remembering that Texas A&M had a similar experience at Alabama, losing 52-24.

Like it or not, fair or not, the noise is going to get louder. Is Malzahn’s job safe? If it is, athletics director Allen Greene or president Jay Gogue should say so, and soon. With national signing day weeks away, with players all but assured of being free to transfer without penalty, a delay can only hurt. Waiting to see what happens the rest of the season makes no sense.

If the belief is that Malzahn is the man to lead Auburn football into the future, one bad loss with a wounded offense to the No. 1 team in the nation shouldn’t change that. If the belief is that he is not, what happens against Texas A&M and Mississippi State shouldn’t be a factor. For better or worse, Malzahn will be the same coach a month from now that he is today.

MORE THOUGHTS:

--Finally, in the fourth quarter with most of Alabama’s starters still in the game on defense, Auburn mounted 96-yard drive for the first touchdown against the Tide defense in 14 quarters. Little used running back Mark-Antony Richards was a key in that drive and led Auburn in rushing with 57 yards on 14 carries, which is sure to also raise some questions.

--This season’s Alabama team is the best I’ve seen. No team in college football has as many weapons in as many places.

--Steele went into the game with the mission of keeping the top on the coverage and not giving up big plays. Big plays turned out to be what broke the game open.

--If Auburn can beat Texas A&M at home and Mississippi State on the road to finish 7-3, that will be a good season. Not great, but good.

Oh Yeller Fellow has been so programed by the cult. No doubt he was going to talk about injuries and the 96 yard drive. This is as close as he will come to speaking out against the family publicly.

I have read on The Rant that Gus's buyout drops 7 million at the end of this season. JMO but I believe someone within the Barn Complex will request a meeting with Sankey regarding whether he would allow Hugh back into the SEC at this time or whether one more year in timeout is required. If one more year is the answer they get then they will stick with Gus for 2021 and another reduction in his buyout will be in order as well. Gus isn't a bad football coach but he isn't great. He and Hugh have done more damage to Bama than the rest of the SEC combined.

I have read on The Rant that Gus's buyout drops 7 million at the end of this season. JMO but I believe someone within the Barn Complex will request a meeting with Sankey regarding whether he would allow Hugh back into the SEC at this time or whether one more year in timeout is required. If one more year is the answer they get then they will stick with Gus for 2021 and another reduction in his buyout will be in order as well. Gus isn't a bad football coach but he isn't great. He and Hugh have done more damage to Bama than the rest of the SEC combined.
I doubt Freeze wbe available in 2022
to many needing / wanting help quickly

and whether he is allowed back in sec. remains to be seen

gus is in good position. And that's about all you can expect. He is done ok. But the natives are restless

auburn wouldn't ask or wait for permission (its just not how they operate), but they likely wouldn't need it anyway. Freeze may come with an "we aren't going to help you if you get caught" warning from Sankey, but if/when Freeze wants back in the SEC, he will return. Personally, I hope it isn't at auburn. Word has been for a long while that he'd like the job in Knoxville.

auburn wouldn't ask or wait for permission (its just not how they operate), but they likely wouldn't need it anyway. Freeze may come with an "we aren't going to help you if you get caught" warning from Sankey, but if/when Freeze wants back in the SEC, he will return. Personally, I hope it isn't at auburn. Word has been for a long while that he'd like the job in Knoxville.
And i hope it isnt UT. Their finances are in bad shape. They probably will stick with what the have gor at least one more

AU. Gus isnt going anywhere i would believe. He seems to have some decent support

USCe is missing the boat by Not going after Freeze jn my opinion. Kust taking another mediocre coach that wssnt successful elsewhere will gain them nothing
There are a couple of " group of 5" coaches doing well. But if you want to run with the big dogs...,,,,

Considering that Nick wanted to get Freeze on staff and that was declined by the SEC then I assume even auburn will not cross the yankee commish.

Could Hugh Freeze soon be back in the SEC? - al.com

Considering that Nick wanted to get Freeze on staff and that was declined by the SEC then I assume even auburn will not cross the yankee commish.

Could Hugh Freeze soon be back in the SEC? - al.com

Yes, and that was 2 years ago, which is like 8 years on the CFB calendar. Even still, from what I understand, if Saban wanted to hire Freeze badly enough, he'd have done so anyway, though it would have come with risk he wasn't willing to accept. auburn hired a basketball coach who was under a show cause and his already up to the neck in NCAA hot water again, and all the while, said coach refused to cooperate with the University compliance investigation. If they'll do that for basketball which has always been a joke to them, you honestly think they wouldn't do similar for football? Jimmy Sexton would have him a contract for Freeze to sign before the roosters woke up.

Yes, and that was 2 years ago, which is like 8 years on the CFB calendar. Even still, from what I understand, if Saban wanted to hire Freeze badly enough, he'd have done so anyway, though it would have come with risk he wasn't willing to accept. auburn hired a basketball coach who was under a show cause and his already up to the neck in NCAA hot water again, and all the while, said coach refused to cooperate with the University compliance investigation. If they'll do that for basketball which has always been a joke to them, you honestly think they wouldn't do similar for football? Jimmy Sexton would have him a contract for Freeze to sign before the roosters woke up.
The Pearl issue could be what helps keep Freeze from going to the Barn. Fear of it being worse if they hire yet another tainted coach. Naaah who am I fooling it is the Barn there are no depths they will not go to if they think it might give them some wins against Bama.

The Pearl issue could be what helps keep Freeze from going to the Barn. Fear of it being worse if they hire yet another tainted coach. Naaah who am I fooling it is the Barn there are no depths they will not go to if they think it might give them some wins against Bama.

If Freeze is smart, he will wait and pick exactly what he wants. And I don't think it'll be long until LSU enters the chat. Imagine what Freeze could do at LSU with all that area talent. I think he'd do really well anywhere, but LSU would be an even better situation than Tennessee or auburn.

MARSHALL'S SUNDAY THOUGHTS

In Gus Malzahn’s eight seasons, Auburn has put big numbers on its biggest rivals at home – 34, 48 and 26 against Alabama; 43 and 40 against Georgia, 41 and 48 against LSU. But the road is a far different matter. Other than in a 55-44 loss to Alabama in 2014, it’s been desolate. The most Auburn has scored against one of those teams on the road came in a 27-23 loss at LSU in 2017. It has scored 21 points at LSU twice and at Alabama once. It lost those three games by double digits. Saturday’s 42-13 Iron Bowl loss at Alabama was more of the same.

Trips to Georgia have been particularly awful – a 34-7 loss in 2014, a 13-7 loss in 2016, a 27-10 loss in 2018 and a 27-6 loss this season. And then there was 2017, when Auburn won 40-17 at home and lost 28-7 in the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta.

Sure, it’s tougher on the road. But should it be THAT much tougher? Being outscored 69-19 by Alabama and Georgia this season, with the only touchdown coming in the final minutes after an Iron Bowl blowout was already done, is hard for supporters to swallow.

Go inside for more in the latest edition of Sunday Reflections.

INCONSISTENCY ON OFFENSE

I look at the players on Auburn’s offense, and I wonder why there is not more consistency. I don’t know of many times Auburn has had three more talented receivers than Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove. Their backups are talented, too. Quarterback Bo Nix’s talent is unquestioned. Yet, Auburn has scored more than 30 points just twice this season – in a 48-11 drubbing of LSU and a 35-28 victory at Ole Miss. In a 30-28 victory over Arkansas, one touchdown was scored on a blocked punt. In a 30-17 victory over Tennessee, one touchdown was on a pick-six.

Part of the problem this season has been an almost new offensive line and then injuries to that offensive line and to running back Tank Bigsby. But depth is part of being an elite program. Injuries cause problems and affect production for most teams, but some deal with them better than others.

AUBURN AND THE RUNNING GAME

Malzahn said after Saturday’s game that Auburn needs to run the ball successfully to be good on offense, and he’s right. When the Tigers couldn’t run the ball consistently Saturday, they were in trouble. When Seth Williams dropped a sure touchdown pass and potentially lost another one on an uncalled grab of his shirt as flagrant as you’ll ever see, their chances of staying in the game evaporated.

With Nix at quarterback and the receiving talent available, should Auburn have abandoned the running game and gone all-out air raid? It would be good to at least have that option. My guess is that, with a patchwork offensive line, Auburn coaches didn’t believe they could keep Nix upright doing that.

ALABAMA OFFENSE SHOWS ITS STRENGTH

In five home games, Alabama has scored 52 points against Texas A&M, 41 against Georgia, 41 against Mississippi State and 42 against Auburn. It’s the most dominant run I’ve seen since 1996, when Florida scored more than 50 against LSU, Georgia and Auburn.

Auburn ran 80 plays to Alabama’s 53, and it didn’t even matter. Auburn could have played better on offense and scored more points, but it’s doubtful it could have scored enough to make it a game.

You have to give Nick Saban credit. The way Alabama plays is a far cry from the way he likes to play. When he couldn’t get rules passed to make offenses slow down, he changed. And when he changed, he prioritized recruiting wide receivers. You saw the results on Saturday and a lot of other Saturdays. And the best one – Jaylen Waddle – is injured and not playing.

I don’t know how you slow down this season’s Alabama offense. Nobody has come close to doing it yet. Auburn is just the latest victim.

Three of the top four SEC teams, record-wise, behind Alabama, have played at Bryant-Denny Stadium this season. Texas A&M gave up 52, Georgia 41 and Auburn 42. My guess is the SEC Championship Game against Florida’s defense won’t be much different.

SARKISIAN ON TRACK TO BEING A HC AGAIN

Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian is going to get his third head coaching job, and my guess is it will be soon. He’s already been the head coach at Washington and at USC and has been an NFL coordinator. Personal issues cost him his job at USC, but he seems to have put those behind him.

To be sure, Alabama has great offensive talent, but Sarkisian has maximized that talent. Averaging 48.5 points in eight SEC games tells you all you need to know.

PRICE OF 10-GAME SCHEDULES

Playing 10 conference games has taken a serious toll on most of the SEC. Alabama, Texas A&M, Auburn, Florida, Georgia and, surprisingly, Missouri are the only SEC teams with winning records. Ole Miss has a break-even record after Saturday's Egg Bowl victory over Mississippi State.

CAN AUBURN BEAT TEXAS A&M?

Auburn will likely be an underdog at home next Saturday as it goes after its fourth consecutive win over No. 5 Texas A&M. I remained unconvinced about the Aggies. I became even more unconvinced when I watched them score one offensive touchdown in a 20-7 victory at home against LSU.

The question is whether Auburn players can put their disappointment behind them and play at the top of their game. I don’t have answer for that.

ORGERON BLAMES HIS OC

Nothing like throwing your old buddy under the bus. After LSU wasted its first decent defensive performance of the season, here’s what head coach Ed Orgeron said about the offense:

"I was very disappointed in the plan. We have to have a better plan. We have to call better plays." He didn’t mention offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger , his longtime friend, by name, but he didn’t have to.

LSU fell to 3-4 on the season. The next two opponents? Alabama in Baton Rouge and Florida in Gainesville. Ouch!

IRON BOWL BLOWOUTS RARE FOR AUBURN

It’s an interesting thing. Though Auburn has won 20 of the last 39 Iron Bowls, it has not won any of them by more than 12 points (26-14 in 2017). Pat Dye won by 1, 3, 4, 10, 5 and 10 points. Terry Bowden won by 8, 4 and 1. Tommy Tuberville won by 9, 10, 5, 8, 10, 7 and 7. Gene Chizik won once by 1. Malzahn has won by 6, 12 and 3.

Alabama, in the same period, won by 24, 17, 36, 28, 49, 31 and 29. Auburn’s last Iron Bowl victory by more than 12 points was 49-26 in 1969, 51 years ago. A win is a win, regardless of the point spread, but Auburn hasn’t been able to blow games open even when it has clearly had the better team.

COACHES TAKING HEAT

Numerous college football coaches are facing withering criticism this morning. Tom Herman’s job at Texas is said to be in serious jeopardy. After a loss to previously winless Penn State at home, Jim Harbaugh seems be taking Michigan to depths it has rarely experienced. One season after winning a national championship, the bloom is off Orgeron’s rose at LSU. Nobody is celebrating Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee.

It’s a sign of the times. Patience runs out quickly for coaches being paid like kings.

ABOUT THOSE ANALYTICS

I keep hearing TV talkers saying that “analytics say” you go in certain down and distance situations. And I keep wondering how analytics can say going for fourth-and-two against, say, Alabama, and going for it against, say, Ole Miss, are the same thing. I believe some coaches get a bit carried away with that stuff.

Until next time …

Old Yellower riding the fence. Tells me the decision makers have not given him full permission to attack Gus so they can get rid of him. He is also gonna be sure everyone knows that a holding call was missed that somehow would have magically made a difference. Just pathetic. Oh and he is celebrating the Barn being 20-19 over the last 40 games. Something we would and do despise yet they celebrate.

Old Yellower riding the fence. Tells me the decision makers have not given him full permission to attack Gus so they can get rid of him. He is also gonna be sure everyone knows that a holding call was missed that somehow would have magically made a difference. Just pathetic. Oh and he is celebrating the Barn being 20-19 over the last 40 games. Something we would and do despise yet they celebrate.

20-19 over the last 39 games is what he said, which includes aubrun's first win in ten against Coach Bryant. If you were to use a good round number like 50, it would be about 29-21 Bama, but a Barner columnist is going to find that advantage.

If there was EVER any doubt that that is anything other than an absolute CULT down in lee county, then there shouldn't be anymore. Gus is the man down there. Period. The man is made of teflon, top to bottom, inside and out. John Gotti has NOTHING on him. He can STILL get up there in post game pressers and say "we are young, the future is bright, war eagle, thank you" and basically be applauded, and thought of as one of the nation's best. Zero and 12 on the road vs their 3 biggest rivals sure as shit hasn't earned him his $49 million. I know that the fans are still jerking off over 2013, but is the administration, YEARS later, still getting wood every time they think about it too? Shit, was their current AD even there back then?? None of it makes ANY sense. Naturally, it's the barn, where all sense and logic go flying out of the window, but still, what the fuck? How does this man still have them gulping down the Jim Jones koolaid by the barrel full?

A school under sanctions hiring a guy like Freeze doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

It wouldn't make sense to a lot of folks, but you know LSU is a bit unique. They have Will Wade on a federal wire tap talking about paying players, and they did nothing substantial in terms of punishment. They won't fire him unless forced to do so (like auburn and Pearl). They also know that Orgeron runs of the top 2 dirtiest programs in the league, but they allow it because it got them what they wanted, a championship. Barring a 180 by their administration, sanctions or not, they'd be calling Freeze when it's time to hire again, which will likely be next year unless Orgeron can pull a rabbit out of his ass (again).

INCONSISTENCY ON OFFENSE

I look at the players on Auburn’s offense, and I wonder why there is not more consistency. I don’t know of many times Auburn has had three more talented receivers than Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz and Eli Stove. Their backups are talented, too. Quarterback Bo Nix’s talent is unquestioned. Yet, Auburn has scored more than 30 points just twice this season – in a 48-11 drubbing of LSU and a 35-28 victory at Ole Miss. In a 30-28 victory over Arkansas, one touchdown was scored on a blocked punt. In a 30-17 victory over Tennessee, one touchdown was on a pick-six.

What? I know he's a homer and all, but is he trying to be funny and sarcastic here? I haven't seen ANY talent out of Thro Pix, just some dumb luck that affects all albarn players. He throws the worst passes I've ever seen, usually while jumping backwards and throwing out of mid air. Sure, he can escape the rush every now and then, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom