| FTBL Petrino resigns as Falcons coach...

I'm really not too excited about the current state of affairs in the SEC. It appears as though we're going to see alot of 8-4 records from some REALLY good football teams because there's just too much parity in the coaching ranks. Let's review shall we?

Bama gets Saban - 1 Natl.Championship, 2 conference crowns in 5 yrs.
Ole Miss gets Nutty - goofy as all getout but a winner nonetheless.
LSU has Miles - dumb hat, great records
Arky gets Petrino - proven winner. Try to outscore his teams. Good luck.
Auburn has Tubby - best record over the last 9 yrs in the west
MSU has Croom- they'll be pissing in campfires all over the place.
UT has Phatimus Philbert - he'll win 9 a year
UF has Meyer - he's one of the best, no doubt,
USC has Darth Visor - but will he be there much longer? Oddly the "poor sister" among the Eastern teams.
Vandy has Johnson - only team that still has no shot to win the east.
UK has Brooks - spoiler at worst. They're here for the immediate future and are finally competitive in every game.
UGA has Richt - proven winner and a contender for the crown every year.

It's going to be a bloodmatch every week next season. There are absolutely no walkovers in the SEC. Any team that wins 10 games is a National Championship contender.

Isn't it about time you change your avatar?

I don't mind seeing an upgrade in the coaching around the SEC. Personally, Petrino at Arkansas doesn't worry me in the least. While I do consider him to be a good coach, I don't think you can make a comparison to how well he will do in the position he's in now and use UL's record as a comparison.

Arkansas has always been a tough game for us. Just because he's there, it's not going to change.

bamaupsman said:
I'm really not too excited about the current state of affairs in the SEC. It appears as though we're going to see alot of 8-4 records from some REALLY good football teams because there's just too much parity in the coaching ranks. Let's review shall we?

Bama gets Saban - 1 Natl.Championship, 2 conference crowns in 5 yrs.
Ole Miss gets Nutty - goofy as all getout but a winner nonetheless.
LSU has Miles - dumb hat, great records
Arky gets Petrino - proven winner. Try to outscore his teams. Good luck.
Auburn has Tubby - best record over the last 9 yrs in the west
MSU has Croom- they'll be pissing in campfires all over the place.
UT has Phatimus Philbert - he'll win 9 a year
UF has Meyer - he's one of the best, no doubt,
USC has Darth Visor - but will he be there much longer? Oddly the "poor sister" among the Eastern teams.
Vandy has Johnson - only team that still has no shot to win the east.
UK has Brooks - spoiler at worst. They're here for the immediate future and are finally competitive in every game.
UGA has Richt - proven winner and a contender for the crown every year.

It's going to be a bloodmatch every week next season. There are absolutely no walkovers in the SEC. Any team that wins 10 games is a National Championship contender.

Thanks for the post, Upsman. Nice, concise summary of the SEC coaches.

An LSU "friend" of mine said the media won't give Petrino as much hell as they did Saban because Petrino lied only to the Falcons, not to the press. Can't lie to the press, you know. Guardians of Truth! :shock: :roll:

The way Petrino bolted and the way Saban left is not even in the same category. Sabans situation was handled correctly. Screw the Press. More like opPRESSive. :lol: :lol: :lol:

TerryP said:
Isn't it about time you change your avatar?

I don't mind seeing an upgrade in the coaching around the SEC. Personally, Petrino at Arkansas doesn't worry me in the least. While I do consider him to be a good coach, I don't think you can make a comparison to how well he will do in the position he's in now and use UL's record as a comparison.

Arkansas has always been a tough game for us. Just because he's there, it's not going to change.

I'll change it just for you!

It Takes Eleven said:
Liberal rag's take on the sequence of events:

How Petrino's exit unfolded

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...2/deal_1213.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab
Blank was adamant when contacted Wednesday night about Campbell's comments. "It's a complete [expletive] lie," Blank said. "There was never any discussion of legal action."
Considering Petrino's track record I am more inclined to believe that statement, and so that makes me angry just as a fan of football, though I am no fan or hater of either franchise he was at.

EDIT: The agent insertsa family crying scene for obvious public sympathy. If it bothered them that much, youd think the family would shy away from the public eye and not grin, laugh, and cheer the next day while he takes another job. And whats worse yet, the agent made it seem like a hostage situation. I cannot tell you how much this annoys me.

Nor can I tell you how much more I am glad Saban atleast showed respect for the franchise he left to come to Alabama. Other people can say what they want, I saw the whole video of him saying "I am not going to be the headcoach of Alabama." and that was a vieled message saying "I am saying this so you guys will leave me alone, but im using this comment to backhand you since you wont stop asking until I say it"

So I wish people would not compare it, its on different scales.

joeman546 said:
It Takes Eleven said:
Liberal rag's take on the sequence of events:

How Petrino's exit unfolded

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...2/deal_1213.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab
Blank was adamant when contacted Wednesday night about Campbell's comments. "It's a complete [expletive] lie," Blank said. "There was never any discussion of legal action."
Considering Petrino's track record I am more inclined to believe that statement, and so that makes me angry just as a fan of football, though I am no fan or hater of either franchise he was at.

EDIT: The agent insertsa family crying scene for obvious public sympathy. If it bothered them that much, youd think the family would shy away from the public eye and not grin, laugh, and cheer the next day while he takes another job. And whats worse yet, the agent made it seem like a hostage situation. I cannot tell you how much this annoys me.

Nor can I tell you how much more I am glad Saban atleast showed respect for the franchise he left to come to Alabama. Other people can say what they want, I saw the whole video of him saying "I am not going to be the headcoach of Alabama." and that was a vieled message saying "I am saying this so you guys will leave me alone, but im using this comment to backhand you since you wont stop asking until I say it"

So I wish people would not compare it, its on different scales.

Here's another interesting passage:

Petrino returned to Falcons headquarters in Flowery Branch and walked into McKay's office to resign. He then called Blank. "When he called me for the 30-second conversation after he resigned, I said to him, 'I assume you're going to Arkansas,' Blank told the Journal-Constitution. "He said he didn't know what he was going to do. I swear to God. He never admitted then that he was going to Arkansas."

Contrast that with Saban's discussions with Dolphins ownership and you get further indication of how different the two situations are.

Arkansas wasn't interested until late last week, when Jim Grobe of Wake Forest turned down the job, Campbell said. "The conversations took place over a series of days, but as it is with any talks, there is an ebb and flow," Campbell said.

So Arkansas had a choice between Grobe and Petrino and chose Grobe. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom