| FTBL Penn State Hate

laurajmoss

Verified Member
Folks,

I'm starting to see these bowl predictions that match up Penn State with Texas for the National Championship.

Now, I realize the season of the Crimson Tide is not over yet and anything can happen, so it doesn't surprise me that anyone would expect them to chalk up a loss somewhere along the way.

HOWEVER, it bothers me....quite a lot....to even imagine Penn State passing Bama in the race.

Is it just me? I know I can date the nursing of this special hatred for the Nittany Lions and JoePa back to a parking lot before a high school football game when we drum corp members were listening to a game vs. them on someone's car radio..1983? '84? I'll never forget the questionable officiating call, the resulting loss for our team, the cries of outrage from a gang of teenage kids I was honored to call friends.

I REALLY want to see Penn State kept out of the title game.

--Laura

1892_.gif

Whole lotta football left to be played before we need to worry about that.

BUT....IF we run the table, Penn St. will not jump us. We will have wins over Geogia, LSU and Florida (or Georgia again). Penn St. only has the Ohio St. win to their credit.

bamascw said:

BUT....IF we run the table, Penn St. will not jump us. We will have wins over Geogia, LSU and Florida (or Georgia again). Penn St. only has the Ohio St. win to their credit.

My point is not about probabilities--it's me noticing the automatic knee-jerk reaction I have because of the fact it's Penn State (as opposed to somebody else). On this board I see the usual SEC conference rivalries expressed, whether it's vs. Auburn, Tennessee or LSU (all of which have nicknames--the barners, the viles, the corn dogs). But I don't recall whether anyone has a particular animosity for Penn State the way I do.

Just wondering, that's all. Nothing really to do with my faith in the Tide or any of that.

Hope that adds clarification.

I think the predictions you are seeing are from the fact that the media doesn't feel that we will go undefeated and Texas/Penn State will because we have a tougher schedule. I can understand where they are coming from, beating UGA twice or UF once will be tough and although we look many times better than LSU or Auburn anything can happen. Nevertheless we can do it, but in the meantime the media needs to make conversation. If our players take care of business and it will all take care of itself.

laurajmoss said:
bamascw said:

My point is not about probabilities--it's me noticing the automatic knee-jerk reaction I have because of the fact it's Penn State (as opposed to somebody else). On this board I see the usual SEC conference rivalries expressed, whether it's vs. Auburn, Tennessee or LSU (all of which have nicknames--the barners, the viles, the corn dogs). But I don't recall whether anyone has a particular animosity for Penn State the way I do.

Just wondering, that's all. Nothing really to do with my faith in the Tide or any of that.

Hope that adds clarification.

I don't have any hate for Penn State. I've always kinda respected Joe Pa and the Nittany Lions. They seem like a respectful bunch. But then again, I've never been around them. I definately don't share your disdain for them. But, if they jump us without us losing, I'm with ya all the way!

I agree that most in the media just think we'll lose to either LSU or Auburn. I don't think they mean any disrespect. They just aren't convinced we're that good because we're not lighting up the scoreboard. Still, if we go undefeated then there's no way we don't play in the NC game.

I have a lot of respect for Penn State. There's a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing rematch 30 years later. But, I really don't care who we play. If we're the best team in the country then we should be able to beat Texas, Penn State, or anyone else. I just want us to keep winning.

Beat Ark St, LSU, Barn, and go to SECCG win it. Then we can talk about the big game. Other than that it just a guessing game, and really doesn't matter until the final week when the championship games are played peroid.

About that game in the 80's that Penn State won because Joey Jones obvious TD catch was ruled a non-catch, Joe Pa came out after he saw the film and said Bama should of won.
I have no ill-will whatsoever for Penn State. They're a class program and always have been. But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions.

bamaupsman said:
About that game in the 80's that Penn State won because Joey Jones obvious TD catch was ruled a non-catch, Joe Pa came out after he saw the film and said Bama should of won.
I have no ill-will whatsoever for Penn State. They're a class program and always have been. But hey, we're all entitled to our opinions.

Nah, it was Preston Gothard. It was one of the biggest comebacks that wasn't. :?

http://books.google.com/books?id=b1...X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA201,M1

BamaDelta said:
bamaupsman said:

Nah, it was Preston Gothard. It was one of the biggest comebacks that wasn't. :?

http://books.google.com/books?id=b1...X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPA201,M1

There was another pretty controversial call where a Penn State receiver caught a pass out of bounds in the end sone, and it was ruled a touchdown. SI ran a story on that game. It had a drawing of the Penn State filed as part of the article. It showed a chunk removed from the back of the end zone (where Gothard made his catch) and a place on the side of that end zone ballooning out (where the Penn Syae receiver made his catch). Even SI knows that we got hosed on that call.

Back
Top Bottom