| FTBL Odds and Ends compiled thinking about the UA vs AU game...

TerryP

Staff
With a long vacation starting today I've compiled some odds and ends looking at the game this weekend. Random thoughts on different aspects of the series, a few notes on different players, and generally things that just came to mind. It's a little long so grab a drink and sit back a bit.

• We all see the term “throw out the record books” when it comes to this weekends game versus Auburn but very, very rarely has that held any water. Just under 70% of the time these two teams meet the team with the best record ends up winning.
  • It’s ironic to me to consider how long it’s actually been since this meeting that both teams come in with identical conference records. While I haven’t made a point to actually look it up, I’d dare say this marks the first time in our history that we come in with the conference losses to the same two teams.
  • CBS chose not to televise the game this weekend giving ESPN the opportunity to broadcast it Saturday night. The last time ESPN handled the broadcast it happened to be the first year of Mike Shula’s tenure at UA.
  • It’s a 7PM CST kickoff meaning the game will be broadcast “under the lights.” Out of the past seven games played at night UA has won four of the contest. One under Bryant in ‘73, one under Stallings in ‘96, and two under DuBose in ‘98 and ‘99.
  • I started wondering today when was the last time we played on Thanksgiving weekend. My first thought was the year of the dramatic 4th quarter come back in the UF vs. FSU rivalry. But, as it ends up, it was in 1992.
  • A lot has been said over the last few days about Monday’s press conference where Coach Saban made the two historical references about how America overcame adversity after 9-11 and Pearl Harbor. Two things are important about these comments, one seriously overlooked. The team understood his references and how he was using the examples as comparisons. What has been grossly overlooked is following the loss to ULM this past weekend you would expect the media to be spending all of their time talking about how the team had lost. But, what you see the media focused on is Saban himself, not the team. While the loss certainly weighs heavy on the hearts and minds of our players, the distractions that could have plagued them all week are non-existent.
  • Looking back over the Shula years the one game that sticks out in my mind is the 2005 game. There, we were as close to be equal as far as talent on the field of play and yet it was the most lopsided loss. The other three games seemingly came down to a key play or two.
  • Looking back over Auburn’s current winning streak of five games I still get sick remembering Franchione going for it on 4th down in our own territory. It started the streak, yes. But, it’ll probably be mostly remembered as the game Fran mailed in.
  • Recently, on this very forum, one of our Auburn guest made the comment he thought what had transpired this week and the last two weeks were going to have an effect on our recruiting classes and benefit Auburn. Burton Scott made the comment this week that the way we’ve played hasn’t changed his outlook at all. In fact, one recruit we’ve been heavily pursuing, Jerrell Harris, was considered a strong Auburn lean but as the weeks have gone by our chances are looking better and better.
  • Reports coming from a few players have Monday as being a good day on the practice field and Tuesday as being even better.
  • Today, the OL consisted of Smith, Davis, Cardwell, Johnson and Caldwell. Britt practiced, but this is the first time he’s not been working with the 1’s since his mothers accident. Today was the first day that Davis and Caldwell worked with the 1st OL group. Monday and Tuesday they had been working with the 2nd unit.
  • Did you know that Alabama has had 20 different starters on offense this year?
  • People have talked about the JPW to DJ Hall combination all year long but seemingly it’s been missed that we have 7 different receivers who have caught a pass for a TD this year.
  • If there is one key to an Alabama win in this game and you are curious what it might be no need to look back any further than the last few years. Our QB must be protected. I suspect Auburn’s defensive coordinator, Will Muschamp, will having them coming early and coming often. This defense is every bit as good as the one we faced versus LSU, but much more disciplined.
  • Along the DL Motley and Washington have been trading units. Yesterday Motley was in the role of staring nose guard, today it as Washington.
  • Glen Coffee has been working with the 1’s since Monday and Lowe has been working with the scout team in Lester’s role. We will closer to full strength at the RB position than we’ve been in awhile. With Coffee’s return, Grant getting healthier as well as Upchurch we should be able to keep fresh legs in the game this weekend.
  • It’s been reported that Earl Alexander has been working with the Scout team as well to simulate a running QB.
  • With Javier sporting a black, no-contact jersey this week and considered doubtful for the game a lot of responsibility will fall on Lionel Mitchell in our nickel defensive packages. You should look for Auburn to attack Mitchell when they are in passing situations. His playing time over the last 7 games has diminished considering he was a former starter. If he gives up a 3rd and long play, how will he react?
  • Gilberry currently leads the SEC in tackles for a loss. We’ve also seen his sack numbers on the rise as well. He’ll be a player to keep an eye out on as well with Auburn giving up on average a couple of sacks per game. This will mark his 49th game for the Tide.
  • In our first five games of the season the team had a total of 4 sacks. In our last six games the defense has had 16.
  • Zeke Knight had his first career start against Vanderbilt and has improved over the course of the season. Surprisingly absent is the mention of either Saunders or Greenwood this season.

Best wishes to you and yours this Thanksgiving weekend.

BAMA JAMMA said:
I still have drink left in my cup. I want more...!!!

Nice post Terry, as usual. (che)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too a$#

I can't help it you mix your drink in 64oz Big Gulp cups! 8) But hell, that does save trips to the fridge and liquor cabinet so you may be onto something there... :lol:

Quick note pointed out to me last night. Last years game started off with JPW getting quite a bit of pressure until the staff moved Caldwell over to RT. Considering Caldwell has spent some time at the RT position this week I'd say it's a given the staff has been watching a lot of game film.

Which, in turn, means that it's my suspicion if we do line up that way Muschamp will make the adjustment and start sending players blitzing up the middle. We'll need some solid blocking out of our G's and C not to mention the RB's and FB's.

Nice read Terry.
I think their D will bring the heat until we stop it,if we can. If not it's gonna be a long game.If we can handle their blitzes our chances will be very good. That's gonna be THE key. This game will be won up front. I don't know but I'm thinking coach Saban and staff have a few surprises up thier sleeves. I'm not into the trick plays to much but with what we have we just might need a few surprises to even the playing field. We really need this win.

RTR and happy thanksgiving.

kudzu said:
Nice read Terry.
I think their D will bring the heat until we stop it,if we can. If not it's gonna be a long game.If we can handle their blitzes our chances will be very good. That's gonna be THE key. This game will be won up front. I don't know but I'm thinking coach Saban and staff have a few surprises up thier sleeves. I'm not into the trick plays to much but with what we have we just might need a few surprises to even the playing field. We really need this win.

You hit the nail on the head there my good man.

kudzu said:
Nice read Terry.

I've had the thought as well. One reason I've considered the possibility was the way we started at UT.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of trick plays. But, when it comes to a momentum change they do work.

A thought crossed my mind last week in regard to this game. E. Alexander has been working with the scout team the last few weeks to simulate what it will be like defending a mobile quarterback, in this case Auburn's Kodi Burns. One thing that this would allow would be Earl passing on the run. So, he's getting reps, albeit not with the first team all the time, in situations that would favor an end round play where he could hit a receiver on the run.

I have no idea if we'll see it or not...it's amazing what you can come up with just dreaming about different possibilities.

If there is one thing I think is for sure. We have to come out clicking. We've seen what it's like to be looking at being down by a couple of touchdowns against these Auburn teams. It won't be easy if we find ourselves in the same situation Saturday as well as their defense has been playing, at times that is.[/b]

Greetings to all of you. I hope you've had a good thanksgiving. I feel disgusted at the amount I have eaten today, and I wonder if a woman will ever again find me attractive. I digress...

As I was watching the replay of the 1982 Sugar Bowl on ESPN Classic today, I thought of the current streak, and how the series has trended toward Auburn since the end of Bryant's career. While I don't have that actual record, I do know that since we won the National Title last, we have won 5, and lost 9. That's pretty lopsided. That's something that must change. And a change to stability and success can do that. In the time since our last National Title, we are now on our 5th head coach, including Stallings, but not including Mike Price. Auburn is on their 3rd, not including Oliver. And Dye retired after we beat them in our Title season. Two coaches in 15 years.

Stability is linked to winning.

ExiledTidefan said:
Greetings to all of you. I hope you've had a good thanksgiving. I feel disgusted at the amount I have eaten today, and I wonder if a woman will ever again find me attractive. I digress...

As I was watching the replay of the 1982 Sugar Bowl on ESPN Classic today, I thought of the current streak, and how the series has trended toward Auburn since the end of Bryant's career. While I don't have that actual record, I do know that since we won the National Title last, we have won 5, and lost 9. That's pretty lopsided. That's something that must change. And a change to stability and success can do that. In the time since our last National Title, we are now on our 5th head coach, including Stallings, but not including Mike Price. Auburn is on their 3rd, not including Oliver. And Dye retired after we beat them in our Title season. Two coaches in 15 years.

Stability is linked to winning.

The '01 game I have to toss out the window. I certainly never expected to walk away from that game enjoying a win. Interestingly enough, there are some similarities between this season and the '01 season. Alabama traveling to Auburn, going in with a 6-5 record, a new coach, installing a different attitude in '01 going from the DuBose hangover and now getting over the Shula hangover. We lost a very close game to South Carolina that year in the last part of the game. This year, a close one to UGA.

Then, going back to the DuBose era and his two wins I have to think about stability knowing we didn't have it on the sidelines, but had it in Sr. leadership. Now, we don't really have it on the Sr. leadership side, but have it on the sidelines.

Here's a crazy scenario for you.

If MSU wins today vs Ole Miss, the winner of the Alabama Auburn game will have the #2 finish in the West. The loser, #4. We lose and we finish where projected and Auburn does as well. A win and it'll cap off the season with victories over our two biggest rivals in the SEC and Auburn will finish with a loss versus their two biggest rivals in the SEC.

7729310074742fd1987c68.jpg
LOL what's up with that Lenny?

Back
Top Bottom