| FTBL Thinking about spring ball...and Austin Mack.

Wow, a lot of vitriole on this Milroe issue in this thread. I guess raising the question on Milroe shall not be tolerated here. Well, be that as it may, I also have my doubts about him. I have done a good bit of homework on Mack and I would not be surprised to see Mack supplant Milroe during the season. Jalen is a high character guy and a loyal Bama guy. He is also very athletic and very effective under certain circumstances. The biggest problem I have is how precipitously his performance drops when he's under pressure and that played out in two key games last year. And it's not just bad snaps. Can that be corrected? We don't know yet - he jury is still out on Milroe.

I truly hope that CKD conducts a genuine QB competition - no favoritism and no brownie points - the best guy wins. Who is the best guy? The guy that always gives us our best chance to win.

I don't think there is anything wrong with raising rational and objective questions/concerns and a true QB competition is the only way to find out who is actually the best performing QB.

Wow, a lot of vitriole on this Milroe issue in this thread. I guess raising the question on Milroe shall not be tolerated here. Well, be that as it may, I also have my doubts about him. I have done a good bit of homework on Mack and I would not be surprised to see Mack supplant Milroe during the season. Jalen is a high character guy and a loyal Bama guy. He is also very athletic and very effective under certain circumstances. The biggest problem I have is how precipitously his performance drops when he's under pressure and that played out in two key games last year. And it's not just bad snaps. Can that be corrected? We don't know yet - he jury is still out on Milroe.

I truly hope that CKD conducts a genuine QB competition - no favoritism and no brownie points - the best guy wins. Who is the best guy? The guy that always gives us our best chance to win.

I don't think there is anything wrong with raising rational and objective questions/concerns and a true QB competition is the only way to find out who is actually the best performing QB.
I always look at the QB position a little deeper than the others. To me, the QB IS the coach on the field, responsible for getting the play called, getting everyone in the right position and then executing that play. The QB is the leader on the field. Call me biased!! I played that position and then coached it in HS. The QB is to be the ONLY voice in the huddle/when they huddle. He must be a fierce competitor yet remain as the late Stuart Scott would say “As cool as the other side of the pillow!”

Does Jalen have his faults/limitations? Yes! He isn’t as polished as some others we have seen before, Tua and Bryce come to mind. He is a lot like Jalen Hurts. Difference in the two was at least Kiffin was willing to work with him while O’Brien basically sent Milroe to go fetch water or something. Where Hurts used to always make one read then bail to his right, Milroe is missing the pre snap read of “cat blitz/hot receiver” or potential coverage looks- revealing the holes for receivers and then those in play reads of getting off of 1 or 2 quickly enough.

Finally, I don’t see why this wouldn’t be an open competition at QB and for that matter, all of the other positions. This staff will have to learn all of these guys that are on the roster and their capabilities and limitations. Could Milroe be unseated? Sure! He can struggle with the playbook and/or he can assume he already has the position won and not give the desired effort wanted by Grubb and DeBoer.

We already got several upgrades in on the field coaching..SO If we get the QB position right and shore up the defense.. this team could easily go far in the playoffs.. and possibly win the natty..

I always look at the QB position a little deeper than the others. To me, the QB IS the coach on the field, responsible for getting the play called, getting everyone in the right position and then executing that play. The QB is the leader on the field. Call me biased!! I played that position and then coached it in HS. The QB is to be the ONLY voice in the huddle/when they huddle. He must be a fierce competitor yet remain as the late Stuart Scott would say “As cool as the other side of the pillow!”

Does Jalen have his faults/limitations? Yes! He isn’t as polished as some others we have seen before, Tua and Bryce come to mind. He is a lot like Jalen Hurts. Difference in the two was at least Kiffin was willing to work with him while O’Brien basically sent Milroe to go fetch water or something. Where Hurts used to always make one read then bail to his right, Milroe is missing the pre snap read of “cat blitz/hot receiver” or potential coverage looks- revealing the holes for receivers and then those in play reads of getting off of 1 or 2 quickly enough.

Finally, I don’t see why this wouldn’t be an open competition at QB and for that matter, all of the other positions. This staff will have to learn all of these guys that are on the roster and their capabilities and limitations. Could Milroe be unseated? Sure! He can struggle with the playbook and/or he can assume he already has the position won and not give the desired effort wanted by Grubb and DeBoer.
Great post! And also great insight based on your actual experience. Nice to have that kind of experience on this Forum. I was thinking the same thing about Hurts as well - one read, then bail to the right and the defenses planned for that, he struggled. I think the same thing happened with Milroe against Michigan. UM blitzed something like 65% of the time with stunts and Milroe definitely struggled under the pressure. Now, Ries didn't give him much help with play-calling, but that's for another thread.

Absolutely! Let them compete... let them all compete. It only makes sense. If Milroe is the best we got, then he will start and play.

I don’t know about the vitriol as much as just supporting the qb that took Bama to the playoff and probably would have won a national championship but for a poor center and, in this playoff game at least, poor offensive line play. I believe that any and all Bama qbs will have a chance to prove themselves. Let the best player play at every position.

I don’t know about the vitriol as much as just supporting the qb that took Bama to the playoff and probably would have won a national championship but for a poor center and, in this playoff game at least, poor offensive line play. I believe that any and all Bama qbs will have a chance to prove themselves. Let the best player play at every position.
We just want to see the TRUE BEST player in every positions starting the games.. not because they are a Senior or Junior.. It would also be nice not seeing a starter, that is totally exhausted and gasping for air, staying on the field to long.. Or the same two receivers making all the plays every game..

Back
Top Bottom