| NEWS "Not if...When." — Bama in the NFL Draft, '17. (Mock Draft's project player rounds.)

Here is my NFL mock draft for the first rd. Will definitely update before the draft with a 2.0 version.

All I am reading seems to point to Tim Williams having little shot to be selected first round. Humphrey is borderline but should get in. I say borderline because there are 5-8 corners that could easily be taken first round and some teams may have him 2 while others 8. Allen, Foster, Howard are easily in and possibly all top 10. Robinson should be selected mid to late 1st. Hope you guys enjoy

2017 NFL Mock Draft – Round 1

Your Fournette prediction doesn't bode well for TJ Yeldon.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass with you, but do you really think the Browns are going to upgrade their QB position with Kizer? He's not a 1st round ($$) pick. I'm a Steelers fan, so I would love to see the Browns take him.

Your Fournette prediction doesn't bode well for TJ Yeldon.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass with you, but do you really think the Browns are going to upgrade their QB position with Kizer? He's not a 1st round ($$) pick. I'm a Steelers fan, so I would love to see the Browns take him.

I've seen one mock that has Kizer going to the Steelers in the 1st round...no shit.

No way that many running backs and quarterbacks go in the first round. It's hard for a running back to go early now day because of their life expectancy in the NFL and this QB class is not well thought of.

I think you will see a bunch defensive picks, a bunch of o_linemen, a few wide receivers and tight ends, 1 running back and maybe 2 QB' s

No way that many running backs and quarterbacks go in the first round. It's hard for a running back to go early now day because of their life expectancy in the NFL and this QB class is not well thought of.

I think you will see a bunch defensive picks, a bunch of o_linemen, a few wide receivers and tight ends, 1 running back and maybe 2 QB' s

I have to say I agree with @Destiny's Child. You do not take a QB now unless they are a sure fire starter from day 1 and that is very tough to do in the NFL. Running backs can be picked up in later rounds that can provide stability for most teams. Why waste guaranteed money that early, go for another player here. I do not know what it is but Humphrey is not a 1st round pick IMO. It is not that I do not like him but if he goes to Philly at 14 the fan base there will crucify him. 2nd or 3rd round I can agree on that. I do wish him well. Williams can be a steal in the late 2nd-4th round. If I am Cleveland, I am trading picks 1 and 12 for a stock pile of picks.

I have to say I agree with @Destiny's Child. You do not take a QB now unless they are a sure fire starter from day 1 and that is very tough to do in the NFL. Running backs can be picked up in later rounds that can provide stability for most teams. Why waste guaranteed money that early, go for another player here. I do not know what it is but Humphrey is not a 1st round pick IMO. It is not that I do not like him but if he goes to Philly at 14 the fan base there will crucify him. 2nd or 3rd round I can agree on that. I do wish him well. Williams can be a steal in the late 2nd-4th round. If I am Cleveland, I am trading picks 1 and 12 for a stock pile of picks.

I think another year at Alabama would have made a world of difference for Humphrey's technique, but still may not hurt him overall in the draft. He kept being glorified in a lot of mock drafts during the season that didn't make a lot of sense. I still don't get it, based on what I saw on the field, but apparently, it's a big position of need this year.

While a couple of your opinions are as good as mine, there is simply no way Fournette and Cook last past the first round. Don't be shocked to see McCaffery go also possibly.
The top 4 of Trubisky Mahomes Watson and Kizer will go higher than many of you are thinking simply based on team needs.
I'll have a 2.0 mock up before the 27th. Will also compare my mock to many "experts" online after the draft to see how this one stacks up.

While a couple of your opinions are as good as mine, there is simply no way Fournette and Cook last past the first round. Don't be shocked to see McCaffery go also possibly.
The top 4 of Trubisky Mahomes Watson and Kizer will go higher than many of you are thinking simply based on team needs.
I'll have a 2.0 mock up before the 27th. Will also compare my mock to many "experts" online after the draft to see how this one stacks up.

Hey I enjoyed that you did one and almost all of these mock drafts end up being just dead wrong. No hate towards you, I just have seen this play out a bunch and I just know how they feel about rb's and qb's first round. You can go on a run of QB's sometimes depending on if there is a run early on them but I don't see any of these QB's being a standout, sure- fire, franchise quarterback. I would expect a max of 2 in the first round because you can get a Kelly type player in the 3rd or 4th who is a great value with experience.

As far as running backs, remember Mark Ingram went at 22, Henry went mid second round, Ezekiel Elliot was the only first rounder last year and and all three of these guys are thought of better than Dalvin Cook. Fournette will go as he is a special specimen but might not go as early as you think. These teams don't want to pay all that up front money for a position with a 3 year life expectency when they can get value in rounds 2 or 3.

Big, fast athletic linemen and players on the outside with ball skills are much more rare than guys that can tote the rock for the 3 yards. This is why you will see 6 O-linemen, 6-8 Dlinemen, 3 or 4 linebackers, 4 or 5 wide receivers, 3 Corner backs, 3 safeties, 1 or 2 Qb's and 1 or 2 rbs. it's been pretty consistent

Last year was a better QB Class but

1 1 Los Angeles Rams Jared Goff QB California Pac-12 from Tennessee [R1 - 1]
1 2 Philadelphia Eagles Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State MVFC from Cleveland [R1 - 2]
1 3 San Diego Chargers Joey Bosa DE Ohio State Big Ten
1 4 Dallas Cowboys Ezekiel ElliottRB Ohio State Big Ten
1 5 Jacksonville Jaguars Jalen Ramsey CB Florida State ACC
1 6 Baltimore Ravens Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame Ind. (FBS)
1 7 San Francisco 49ers DeForest Buckner DE Oregon Pac-12
1 8 Tennessee Titans Jack Conklin OT Michigan State Big Ten from Miami via Philadelphia andCleveland [R1 - 3]
1 9 Chicago Bears Leonard Floyd OLB Georgia SEC from Tampa Bay [R1 - 4]
1 10 New York Giants Eli Apple CB Ohio State Big Ten
1 11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida SEC from Chicago [R1 - 5]
1 12 New Orleans Saints Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville ACC
1 13 Miami Dolphins Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss SEC from Philadelphia [R1 - 6]
1 14 Oakland Raiders Karl Joseph S West Virginia Big 12
1 15 Cleveland Browns Corey Coleman WR Baylor Big 12 from Los Angeles via Tennessee [R1 - 7]
1 16 Detroit Lions Taylor Decker OT Ohio State Big Ten
1 17 Atlanta Falcons Keanu Neal S Florida SEC
1 18 Indianapolis Colts Ryan Kelly C Alabama SEC
1 19 Buffalo Bills Shaq Lawson DE Clemson ACC
1 20 New York Jets Darron Lee OLB Ohio State Big Ten
1 21 Houston Texans Will Fuller WR Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Washington [R1 - 8]
1 22 Washington Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU Big 12 from Houston [R1 - 9]
1 23 Minnesota Vikings Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss SEC
1 24 Cincinnati Bengals William Jackson III CB Houston The American
1 25 Pittsburgh Steelers Artie Burns CB Miami (FL) ACC
1 26 Denver Broncos Paxton Lynch QB Memphis The American from Seattle [R1 - 10]
1 27 Green Bay Packers Kenny Clark DT UCLA Pac-12
1 28 San Francisco 49ers Joshua Garnett G Stanford Pac-12 from Kansas City [R1 - 11]
1 New England Patriots Selection forfeited as a result of the Deflategate scandal[Forfeited 1]
1 29 Arizona Cardinals Robert Nkemdiche DT Ole Miss SEC
1 30 Carolina Panthers Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech C-USA
1 31 Seattle Seahawks Germain Ifedi OT Texas A&M SEC

Your thought of 6 o-linemen going this year in the first rd is more improbable than two running backs going first.
Fournette will not get past the panthers if the jags don't take him.
Again, just respectfully disagreeing but you think only 3 corners will go?
I believe 5-8 will go in the first rd. I strongly believe in this corners class.
4-5 wr in first round? Outside of Ross, Williams, and Corey Davis who do you think would be a first round talent?

Hey I enjoyed that you did one and almost all of these mock drafts end up being just dead wrong. No hate towards you, I just have seen this play out a bunch and I just know how they feel about rb's and qb's first round. You can go on a run of QB's sometimes depending on if there is a run early on them but I don't see any of these QB's being a standout, sure- fire, franchise quarterback. I would expect a max of 2 in the first round because you can get a Kelly type player in the 3rd or 4th who is a great value with experience.

As far as running backs, remember Mark Ingram went at 22, Henry went mid second round, Ezekiel Elliot was the only first rounder last year and and all three of these guys are thought of better than Dalvin Cook. Fournette will go as he is a special specimen but might not go as early as you think. These teams don't want to pay all that up front money for a position with a 3 year life expectency when they can get value in rounds 2 or 3.

Big, fast athletic linemen and players on the outside with ball skills are much more rare than guys that can tote the rock for the 3 yards. This is why you will see 6 O-linemen, 6-8 Dlinemen, 3 or 4 linebackers, 4 or 5 wide receivers, 3 Corner backs, 3 safeties, 1 or 2 Qb's and 1 or 2 rbs. it's been pretty consistent

Problem here is that Henry, Elliot, Ingram aren't in this draft :D.

Cook is a threat to score every time he touches the ball, make no doubt about it. In my opinion, he has more upside in the NFL than Fournette does...but has some baggage that will challenge him.

I posted this in another thread, you have to look at the mock drafts with a different lens. Look at it with a +/-2 or +/-3 perspective, an example would be Fournette at #4, but he gets picked within 2-3 positions either side of that it's fairly accurate (60-70%).

Your thought of 6 o-linemen going this year in the first rd is more improbable than two running backs going first.
Fournette will not get past the panthers if the jags don't take him.
Again, just respectfully disagreeing but you think only 3 corners will go?
I believe 5-8 will go in the first rd. I strongly believe in this corners class.
4-5 wr in first round? Outside of Ross, Williams, and Corey Davis who do you think would be a first round talent?

It's like this every year. You may be right about more corners and less wide receivers but again my point is that there won't be that many qb's and running backs taken in the first round. NFL teams place more value in the athleticism on the line of scrimmage, skill players on the outside and QB's when there is a few game changers in the mix. Last year with two going so early it forced someone to take Paxton Lynch much earlier than they wanted to. This year that isn't going to happen.

The only first round quality running back is Fournette but there will be several taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I sent last years draft to remind you how it worked out. It is pretty consistent from year to year.. you can see what they value.

For example... was Kenny Clark or Vernon Butler a better player than Derick Henry?.. no! Dline is a position they value, running back is not so much. They will take a barely above average D-linemen before the Heisman Trophy winning running back who was a top 2 player at his position. Look at the second round players taken before Henry.. This is not just this year it has been this way a while

Back
Top Bottom