| FTBL Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, and the Auburn coaching search.

Yeah, I'm not sure they could do better, so I'm hoping it doesn't happen. The worm always turns.
As I'm sure you know, I've said Lane isn't going to Auburn. If I've said it once, I've said it a dozen times.

It's not first hand knowledge, it comes from a guy who spent time with Lane when he was in Tuscaloosa and they continue to talk. Granted, he hasn't spoken with Lane since fall camp started, but he has talked with Lane about Auburn. He maintains Lane wouldn't go to Auburn.

Hell, no one is right 100% of the time, right? So let's assume Lane does take the job. What does that mean?

It means Auburn would get a great play caller. It also means their recruiting efforts wouldn't be any better then than they were under Harsin.

Lane doesn't like to go on the road recruiting. He's not one to "put in the work." One of the reasons I wouldn't want him in charge of a program I was a fan of is the same reason I'd want him to take the Auburn job: he wants a position where he can recruit like Mac Brown—from his chair.

Lane has to see that the Auburn job is a career killer, going all the way back to Terry Bowden. I remember when tater tot was the hottest coaching name in the business. After a couple of years at Auburn he was never heard from again. After Tubby was fired he had to get a job as a politician because he couldn't coach anymore. LOL. I think Lane is smart enough to see that. Plus going from Ole Miss to Auburn would be a major step backwards. If he does go to Auburn he will regret it.

And BTW, there is a reason to pay attention to the staff in Oxford. But it's not Lane. If you guys didn't know, Saban and Byrne made a quick trip there recently. With a little deductive reasoning you should be able to put the story together.

My brain is fried at this point in the year. Would you mind laying it out for tge stupid in me?

To add one more thing here. Lane has told a few coaches that he wants the Auburn job. He's told other's he has no interest. The coaches he's told this to don't know if he's serious or he's trolling.

Lane's relation with the truth is somewhat erratic. Hell, Lane is erratic.

And BTW, there is a reason to pay attention to the staff in Oxford. But it's not Lane. If you guys didn't know, Saban and Byrne made a quick trip there recently. With a little deductive reasoning you should be able to put the story together.

Deductive reasoning tells me that coaches go to Tuscaloosa to interview.

Or perhaps you're going somewhere else with this...

calculation-math.gif

Would Wilson Love be a part of that as well?

@Brandon Van de Graaff has mentioned and he and I have talked about this a few times. Cochran created that swagger and was high energy. Love worked under him for several years. I know he is high energy, maybe he could be a Cochran re-boot. I know we have beat the coordinators to death, but I truly feel that Cochran is the missing link. UGA didn't beat us or have the "It" factor until Cochran got there. So many statements talk about how much UGA looks like we did for the past decade.........they didn't look like that until Cochran got there.

Would Wilson Love be a part of that as well?

@Brandon Van de Graaff has mentioned and he and I have talked about this a few times. Cochran created that swagger and was high energy. Love worked under him for several years. I know he is high energy, maybe he could be a Cochran re-boot. I know we have beat the coordinators to death, but I truly feel that Cochran is the missing link. UGA didn't beat us or have the "It" factor until Cochran got there. So many statements talk about how much UGA looks like we did for the past decade.........they didn't look like that until Cochran got there.
Okay, if we are going to entertain this, what about another view.

Since Saban's decision to have a department with the football program whose sole focus is the mental health of players they've lost the "it" factor. The "violent" aspect in football is being "counseled" out of the players mentality.

Since Saban's decision to have a department with the football program whose sole focus is the mental health of players they've lost the "it" factor. The "violent" aspect in football is being "counseled" out of the players mentality.
I don't disagree with that. I could see that being the issue. Either way. We seem to have lost it and something is amiss among the psyche of our team.

Okay, if we are going to entertain this, what about another view.

We hit on that in the same text thread... Hard to have the former, yet have a monster factory spitting out players who carry around an axe with Assassins written on it on the sidelines and the Tony Browns who walk through opposing team warmups and dare them to make eye contact.

Back
Top Bottom