| FTBL Keys and questions in the Rematch

Michigan is not anything to gauge UGA by. That is like them playing Vandy in a lot of respects. Michigan's 5 QB had 3,202 yards passing and went 21/9 TD/INT. The team rushed for 3,001 and 39 TD. Bama had 4,704 yards with 47/5 TD to INT. We also had 2,202 yards rushing with 21 TD. Michigan lived and died by the run and could only manage 91 yards vs UGA. UGA allowed them 237 yards passing and one TD, very close to their average of 246 and 1.5.

Metchie was that blanket of comfort for BY much like the blanket Linus carried around with him in Peanuts. BRob could be more of a weapon in the pass game, but dang our TEs could be just as big. I really don’t know how much more Bowlcut will try and blitz this time to be honest. Blitzing means exposing your secondary even more and allowing Jamo to blow the top off of their D. Could see some bracketing done on Jamo, but that allows single coverage on someone like Brooks and we have seen him have success. Slade could have a big game as well.
BAMA D will look to shutdown their run game and force Stetson to try and win it with his arm. He hasn’t proven he can yet in two tries.
Now Smart may really roll the dice and put the game in Bennetts hands. If their team really does support him the way it is presented they will try and make that decision a good one by playing really hard for their teammate. Smart likes Bennett and he wants to bury bama which will push him to make emotional decisions over what makes sense. He has seen Saban coach aggressively and he will try and do the same. If he puts it in Bennetts hands/feet he risk having to deal with #31. Playing with fire...

The alternate strategy and more conservative would be to sell out to establish the run which they can do as long as the game stays close which means their defense has to play lights out. This is the strategy I would do until Bama forced them out of it.

Stating the obvious but Bama as always needs to play clean game (no turnovers and few penalties). If we turn the ball over or have a lot of penalties that will play into Georgia's hands. Would create tough down and distance issues.

Last edited:
They blitzed all day last time.
I have not rewatched the game but saw some people commenting after the Bama semifinal that blitzes were up the middle in cincy game but on the edge in uga. That kept BY from stepping up in the pocket because pressure was coming in his face. Was saying that was one of the reasons he "struggled". I say struggled in quotes because it is also relative to the game plan and the success bama was having running the ball.

I will say the passing game after metchie went out in the SEC championship game and now the semifinal has been less effective so far. Bama will need it to be sharp Monday night which takes me back to the OL.

They blitzed all day last time.
But were very careful about containment. They didn’t go all out after the QB. They were very conscious if holding there lanes to make sure BY couldn’t scramble. This allowed our tackles to work with the TE/Guards to be affective. What gives us issues is wide pressure from the DE, aUburn being a key example. Our tackles don’t seem to do well moving and blocking in space.

I don’t think uGA worries about containment as much this time and use a lot more edge pressure.

Last edited:
But were very careful about containment. They didn’t go all out after the QB. They were very conscious if holding there lanes to make sure BY couldn’t scramble. This allowed our tackles to work with the TE/Guards to be affective. What gives us issues is wide pressure from the DE, aUburn being a key example. Our tackles don’t seem to do well moving and blocking in space.

I don’t think uGA worries about containment as much this time and use a lot more edge pressure.

Their entire success this season of defense has been predicated on maintaining their lanes and being great tacklers. This is why they have been so dominate, no gaps. They have been very disciplined and sure tacklers. I don't see their gameplan changing very much with less than a week to truly plan.

Their entire success this season of defense has been predicated on maintaining their lanes and being great tacklers. This is why they have been so dominate, no gaps. They have been very disciplined and sure tacklers. I don't see their gameplan changing very much with less than a week to truly plan.
They probably talked about this game some during the 3 week break so they have had time to make some adjustments. Now Smart may be arrogant enough to think we are better than they are we just need to execute better. Maybe he is right because that game was an outlier in terms of our OL's performance all year.

Maybe this is true and better than giving BY all day to beat their secondary. BY would make some plays but would be more contained than the explosive plays Bama was able to do in the first game. Still thinking Metchie being out may be the biggest issue for our passing game effectiveness. Gotta use RB/TE's or one of the WR needs a lights out game.

We are talking a lot about our offense against their D but what about their offense against our D? TerryP has already pointed out this as his key to the game.

They probably talked about this game some during the 3 week break so they have had time to make some adjustments. Now Smart may be arrogant enough to think we are better than they are we just need to execute better. Maybe he is right because that game was an outlier in terms of our OL's performance all year.

Maybe this is true and better than giving BY all day to beat their secondary. BY would make some plays but would be more contained than the explosive plays Bama was able to do in the first game. Still thinking Metchie being out may be the biggest issue for our passing game effectiveness. Gotta use RB/TE's or one of the WR needs a lights out game.

We are talking a lot about our offense against their D but what about their offense against our D? TerryP has already pointed out this as his key to the game.

A healthy Brian Robinson is where I think the game makes its turn. He played admirably in the SEC Championship and was definitely a contributing piece, but you could easily see he wasn't running with as much power or elusiveness. Against Cincinnati you saw the power, the feet, and the speed. Hoping it wasn't just the opponent, but if he can run like that against Georgia he'll get 100 yards and a few passes out of the backfield and it will really go a long ways in our success for the game.

IMO there are some different dynamics in this game. First off - No Metchie hurts. I like what the new WR's have done and they're very, very competent. But Metchie was a huge part of the offense before that injury in game #1... It hurts the offense.

Another issue is Ekiyor potentially being out. He's been so solid for so long... Is he going to play or no? If not, I'm concerned about how that OL will handle his absence. I think he's been a perfect fit at UA.... A very good player who isn't a freakish NFL talent, so we get to enjoy him for 4 years... The glue of the OL IMO.

On the flip side - A healthy Brian Robinson is huge! He's obviously gotten better this season and when healthy he takes a lot of pressure off Bryce. Sanders also appears to be healthier than ever, which is a nice feeling compared to round 1.

For the whole year, UGA ran 515 times for 2,724 yards and 28 TD to 392 pass attempts for 3,554 yards and 37 TD with 12 INT (I include the 11 sacks as pass attempts). In the game against us they ran 30 times for 109 yards and passed 51 times (48 attempts and 3 sacks) for 340 yards and 3 TD and 2 INT.

With UGA on offense I don't expect much different than the first game. They will adjust and probably score early again, but I don't think they can keep it up for 4 quarters, especially if we can get the lead and htey have to play from behind.

By comparison, Bama ran 520 times for 2,220 yards and 21 TD and attempted pass plays 551 times for 4,704 yards with 47 TD and 5 INT. In the game against UGA Bama ran 26 times for 115 yards and 1 TD and attempted passes 44 times for 421 yards and 3 TD (No sack or INT).

The biggest thing that will be different when Bama is on offense is no Metchie. UGA may be able to blitz more recklessly without another receiver out there. It will be important to set up Brooks and Bolden as the replacement and make UGA cover them, as well as force UGA to stop the run. I would love nothing more than to get the ball first and do the same thing to UGA we did to Cincy, just shove it down their throats and make them love it, but I don't think we will be able to do so. This line seem to be able to run block and pass block well, but only one of those can happen in a single game.

Georgia has a very good defense especially against the run. In the first game bama got the big defensive guys tired so their pass rush not as effective. I think this started when BY hit the slant pass for a TD to Jameson and then we were off to the races. Need the A game for 60 minutes.

Smart will be challenging his teams pride and manhood. He will have all kinds of rah rah speeches this week and pregame. Will it matter? Hope it backfires and they are wound so tight they make lots of mistakes.

Well since everyone else has given their expert advice :), I will add mine.
1. Our OL has to open some holes and be able to have some sort of running game.
2. Our D has to get off the field on 3rd down.
3. We need to use our TE more in the offense. (The most neglected position on the filed for most teams)
4. Field position, make them have to use the entire field.

Last edited:
In my opinion, there are three keys to the game and all involve injuries and replacements. 1) Will a receiver or two make a huge step up to replace the huge loss of Metchie? 2) O-line injuries … will Emil and Chris be able to return … if not can their replacements Latham and ? play the games of their lives? 3) can Kool Aid and Kyree repeat their performances in the semi-final in the NC game? If the next men up actually step up, Bama should beat UGA again. In early November (November 9 in the “When Will We Correct The Issues?” thread), when it looked doubtful Bama would even make it to the SEC Championship game, I went out on a limb and said Bama would do X,Y and Z then win it all … and now I’m doubling down on that prediction. Roll Tide Roll!

In my opinion, there are three keys to the game and all involve injuries and replacements. 1) Will a receiver or two make a huge step up to replace the huge loss of Metchie? 2) O-line injuries … will Emil and Chris be able to return … if not can their replacements Latham and ? play the games of their lives? 3) can Kool Aid and Kyree repeat their performances in the semi-final in the NC game? If the next men up actually step up, Bama should beat UGA again. In early November (November 9 in the “When Will We Correct The Issues?” thread), when it looked doubtful Bama would even make it to the SEC Championship game, I went out on a limb and said Bama would do X,Y and Z then win it all … and now I’m doubling down on that prediction. Roll Tide Roll!

A silly football prediction isn't going out on a limb. A prediction has no risk to you, thus no limb 🙃

They didn’t go all out after the QB. They were very conscious if holding there lanes to make sure BY couldn’t scramble.
I'll have to look for the numbers to be specific here but I'm confindent in saying they were sending six a little over 45% of the time. By "going all out" are you suggesting they'll now send seven?

If they do they're setting themselves up for a bigger defeat than last time: their secondary can't play man on an 11 man personnel front. They couldn't do it sending six.
If it was just a matter of "the defense didn't do it right" why wasn't there a change in the game? Their defense didn't do a bad job. Alabama only scored on two of its last seven possessions as they were pulling away.

The problem is just that...as Alabama was pulling away.

I'll gladly grant "Georgia didn't play a good game on defense" as long as its framed with "because they were playing Alabama." Even Kirby, in a round about way, framed it as such mentioning they weren't winning man on man battles.

I believe you're hitting on where Kirby and his staff are thinking here (more so than your comments on Bennett earlier.)

You've seen a lot talk about Georgia needing to change pressure whereas I see few mentioning they should consider a stronger coverage package. I can see reason for UGA to take this approach because Metchie is out. That comes with a "catch." Now they're putting BRob/Billingsley/Latu in single coverage. That's not to mention the belief the Bama staff would be happy to simply "run it at 'em" all day. Their interior has quite a few two down types that'll tire quickly.

Back
Top Bottom