I've never seen this before, much less heard of it...call this morning "cleaning up after nature."

TerryP

Staff
You folks that have central heat and air can identify with this. You've heard different things fall into the fan outside, hear it rattle around a bit, then stop because it's fallen through to the bottom, right? Some have probably heard it with ice, debris...name it, you've heard it. Until possible now...

Background: The neighborhood I live in is almost fully developed. There are around 100 acres of woods yet to be developed, along with one local farmer who has 20-25 acres of land he still farms and raises a few head of cattle. So, to see wild animals in the neighborhood isn't uncommon, but it's getting there.

@psychojoe Remember our conversation last year about the rats getting through the fencing and eating my tomatoes? Well, I re-did the fence and closed off just about any entrance they could use outside of climbing over it.

I'm on vacation for the next week or so but I'm still maintaining my regular schedule: sleep in the morning hours, up at mid afternoon, and up through the night. So, last night/this morning I heard what thought was a rock, nut, something get hung up in the fan on the AC unit. After it banged around for a minute not only waking the dogs up but really just getting on my nerves I cut the unit off thinking the object would fall through and I'd turn the AC back on today.

When I walked out to check the garden, pollinate the squash, etc. this morning I glanced over at the unit and saw something protruding out of the grill on top. I though it was a limb or some type of brush ...until I got closer.

A freakin' rat tried to get through the grill last night. Good size rat...body 6-7" long, tail about 10" long. It managed to get its head through, it's front legs through, and then it met the fan.

What I heard getting banged around last night was the rats head and it's body being ... literally, being chopped up piece by piece.

As weird as that is ... my story is tame considering this one from a few miles from my neighborhood.

2.PNG

Watch: Man finds two huge snakes dangling from attic

I remember those discussions last year and the damage they wreaked on your green tomatoes. Glad your defense against them worked, even if it did make quite a ruckus. So danged dry here that I am giving the summer garden a rest. I will start back this fall, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom