| LIFE Our 50th Anniversary

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
Patsy and I will be married 50 years on June 14, 2024. We dated 4 years before we married, if you count two years of watching TV with her mom and dad dating. And we do, so 54 years of being with each other. I was from the Moulton valley and she was was from the Black Warrior mountains of the Bankhead Forest.

I suggested we take a cross country trip for a celebration, loosely following the Lewis and Clark trail to the Pacific Ocean. We've talked about doing that for several years and we ain't getting any younger.

She agreed a trip somewhere would be a good thing and volunteered to plan us a trip. She asked if I really meant a long trip and I said yes. She said she would surprise me. So I left it all up to her although I did give her a map of the Lewis & Clark route to help her plan accordingly.

As it turned out I was completely in the dark and even though most of the family was involved in the planning, they managed to keep the details secret. Some of you know our daughter had a stroke at 37 years old on April 28, 2019 and had to move back home after a lengthy hospital stay. So any plans for a trip had to involve her well being and care.

About a week before we left, I was handed a list of things I needed to pack. Without any other details, except the first thing listed was a good raincoat, I packed according to these directions. I had to fit everything in a carry on suitcase and backpack.

In a phone conversation with our son, I heard him tell Bethany, our daughter, he'd pick her up after work on Friday. I asked Patsy, "Bethany's not going with us?" and she replied, "I have everything taken care of, just pack what I've told you."

To make this shorter, on the morning of April 5th, 2024 we arrived at the Huntsville, Alabama airport and flew to Dallas, laid over for 3.5 hours and then flew over night to Heathrow London airport, laid over there 3 hours and flew to Edinburgh, Scotland. This is where we began our 50th anniversary trip.

In hindsight, the flights are the only part of our trip she needed some help with. Flying to Dallas is 2 hours from Huntsville, and going the wrong way I might add, lay over 3.5 hours and then fly 2 hours back just to get to the point where we are going the right direction added over 7 hours to an overnight trip and made for a long, long day. But it worked out. You've already figured out we were not going cross country on the Lewis and Clark trail but out of the country to take a tour of Scotland and Ireland or a majot part thereof.

She signed us up for a Scots - Irish tour with the CIE tour company and we really enjoyed it. I would recommend them without any hesitation. But now to the pictures.

We took a cab, included with the tour package, from the Edinburgh, pronounced Ed-in-burr, Airport to the Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club.
Cloud Sky Plant Stairs Building

Several important world leaders have stayed here including King Charles, when he was a prince, Donald Trump, and Joe Biden, plus many movie stars including John Wayne. And now Wayne and Patsy have as well.

Sky Plant Cloud Building Window

We arrived a day earlier before the start of the tour so we stayed two nights. We toured the grounds and endured the strong wind before finally catching a bus into Edinburgh, 5 or 6 miles away.
Plant Wood Trunk Road surface Asphalt

Plant Plant community Flower Natural landscape Sculpture

Plant Wood Grass Road surface Groundcover

Plant Flower Natural landscape People in nature Tree

I've never seen an elevator, or lift as they call it, with 0 or negative numbers before this trip.
Gas Gadget Font Audio equipment Machine

Font Rectangle Commemorative plaque Gas Publication

Wood Font Event Hardwood History

We're, I'm guessing, in the same room where Joe Biden stayed
Motor vehicle Grey Font Material property Symbol

More days to come:

Day two:

I jumped ahead of myself by mentioning the bus into town. We were so tired that we went to bed at 5:30 p.m. our first day at Dalmahoy. Ireland and Scotland are both 6 hours ahead of central time. If it's noon here, it's 6 p.m. there. That made it a little difficult to communicate with folks back home but we managed.

The internet in most of the hotels we stayed in is not as fast as ours so I set up a Google Photo Account that I would upload my pictures to each night. I shared the link with the family back home and they could keep up with our trip via the photos but without the dialogue. Once I finish these post, I'll be glad to share it with those of you who are considering a visit. Then you can share them with your better half at a convenient time.

The bus stop is a half mile from the hotel but an easy walk thru a beautiful area of the property. You tell the bus driver where you are going to get off and he will charge you accordingly. For a trip of 7 miles it cost the two of us $6.79. Of course they use the Pound Sterling in the UK but that's what the transfer rate figured out to be.

One dollar is only worth 79 cents compared to the pound so everything cost a little more than back home. I used a contactless credit card for each transaction and it never failed to work. I did notify the card company before leaving home where we would be and the duration of our stay.

The buses are a very popular mode of transportation around Edinburgh. The clerk at the hotel told us about an app that would allow us to know the bus schedule and where we needed to get off. I downloaded that app to my iphone and it worked perfectly. We never missed our ride while in Edinburgh.

They say things a little different in the UK. Here's an example.
Plant Cloud Sky Land lot Road surface

The bus stop with Patsy. Even though we had very nice weather this day, we werere encouraged to always have an umbrella or raincoat. An umbrella would do little good in the wind we experienced so we always had a raincoat.
Cloud Sky Plant Shade Leisure

They drive on the wrong side of the road over here. When we return, we'll be dropped off at that gate across the road.
Cloud Sky Building Plant House

Our first view of Edinburgh Castle which we toured the second day of our trip.
Cloud Sky Vehicle Building Nature

We got off at a bus stop downtown, unsure if it's the one we planned for but whatever. We don't have a destination in mind, just killing the morning walking around Edinburgh. We start up the street and see a familiar hamburger place.
Cloud Sky Wheel Building Car

The wind is terrible so we chose a side street to avoid it as much as possible. The architecture is beautiful and they have statues of famous Scotsmen at each intersection. I don't know any of them.
Cloud Building Sky Daytime Window

Our first glimpse of the Scotland Flag.
Sky Cloud Street light Blue Building

There are lot of small places to eat in Edinburgh and we chose this one for our first meal outside the hotel.
Building Bookcase Interior design Shelf Customer

Building Architecture Interior design Automotive design City

Font Material property Menu Poster Terrestrial plant

The sandwiches were so big, we decided to share one. I let Patsy choose and she picked the Turkey on Rye, grilled, with cranberry sauce and cheese. Turkey, in any form, is not my favorite except for one day a year but this was very good.

To be continued:

Day two finale:

We caught the bus back to the bus stop near the Dalmahoy Hotel after lunch as our first tour group meeting was at 2 p.m. We found out for the Scotland portion of our trip, 5.5 days. we'll have a driver plus a tour guide. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable of Scottish history and made the trip much more enjoyable.
One interesting thing was we never saw a GMC / Chevy vehicle. Fords, Toyota, Hyundai, Mercedes, and Audis rule the car market. No big cars or trucks either. Most every vehicle is smaller than a Toyota Rav4, which was the largest passenger vehicle we saw. Their roads are mostly old wagon roads and barely room for two vehicles to pass each other.

Sky Plant Cloud Daytime Motor vehicle

Even though Scotland still uses miles and yards, their liquid measurement is the metric system and gas or diesel is sold by the liter. Our guide told us there is 3.785 liters per one gallon. If you do the math, they are paying 5.48 pounds for a gallon of gas and in Scotland diesel was just a few cents higher. With the current exchange rate that equals to $6.83 per gallon.
Cloud Sky Building Road surface Asphalt

This is part of the Royal Mile which goes from Edinburgh castle, you can see in the distance, to Hollyrood, the Royal palace just over a mile away.
Footwear Trousers Sky Outerwear Building

The first stop on our tour was "The Scotch Whisky Experience." We really enjoyed the stop here where we sampled 4 kinds of Scotch and had a delicious 3 course meal, each course paired with a type of Scotch Whisky.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Gas Font

Building Plant Property Sky Window

I didn't get good pictures inside the building but this display shows Scotch matured in, as they call them, bourbon oak casks from America on the top row and in Spain Sherry casks on the bottome row.
Rectangle Display case Font Shelf Shelving

Wood Rectangle Flooring Font Varnish

Wood Font Wood stain Material property Hardwood

Amber Font Signage Advertising Natural foods

And it's the angel's fault we pay so much for older whiskey. Our Scotch Whiskey guide told us we pay for what the angels drink during the maturation process.
Food Font Cuisine Wood Baked goods

The Scotch Whisky Experience has a collection of over 3000 bottles of Scotch the Scotch Control Board of Scotland bought from a collector from Brazil and displayed here. These six being the first of the collection.
Bottle Product Glass bottle Fluid Alcoholic beverage

Shelf Food Bottle Customer Convenience store

Brown Shelf Drinkware Bottle Glass bottle

Building Shelf Bottle Glass bottle Food

We had a choice of one of the below whiskies to sample during our tour.
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Solution Fluid

And these were paired with our meal. I liked the one on the far left best.
Bottle Barware Glass bottle Bottle stopper & saver Fluid

I chose 1, 4 and 3. They were delicious.
Font Event Menu Circle Paper

Each afternoon, they would pass around our plans for the next day.
Font Advertising Event Signage

And we got to keep our Scotch sampling glass. Both of ours made it home intact.
Drinkware Tableware Fluid Drink Alcoholic beverage

Day three next:

I meant to include this in the above post. I asked the Scotch Whisky guide why they spell whisky wrong? Most, but not all, American Whiskey distillers spell it with an E but almost everywhere else in the world drop the E. Ireland uses the E as well. He laughed and said, "I could be a smartass and say we've been making whisky for almost a 1000 years longer than you so we spell it correctly, but since you blokes won your independence, I guess you can spell it anyway you like."

He went on to say he really didn't know why it was spelled different across the world but what mattered was how it tasted. "You Americans help make Scotch taste unique by loaning us your used casks."

Day three:

Our tour started with a riding tour of Edinburgh and our guide pointed out several places of interest for us to visit during our free afternoon in Edinburgh.
One of them was a monument for Sir Walter Scott. Here is his statue.
Window Statue Temple Sculpture Tree

And here is the monument his statue sits in. Erected between 1840 and 44.
Sky Cloud Plant Building Tree

After our driving tour we parked near Edinburgh Castle. We were told all the tour buses have a strict schedule to meet in order to gain admittance. Each of us, all 30, had to be in line before they would let any of us in and we had to be there within a 30 minute window or we'd lose our turn. Our guide and driver never failed to get us in place on time.

Just to the right as you enter the walk to the castle is a memorial to the Witches who were burned at the stake near here.
Font Material property Magenta Gas Fence

Flower Plant Flowerpot Wood Houseplant

Edinburgh Castle was first built during the Iron Age, 1200 to 600 BC, and has evolved over the centuries to what is there today.
Cloud Sky Jeans Travel Tree

Standing at the entrance are two of Scotland's most revered leaders.
First, Robert the Bruce, who fought the English, won and became king.
Statue Sculpture Building Art Monument

And William Wallace or Braveheart (Mel Gibson) as we know him, who fought the English and lost. But he was fighting for Scottish Independence and is respected for that fact. The Scottish people hate the Mel Gibson movie because it doesn't portray the Wallace story historically correct, in their view.
Statue Temple Sculpture Building Brickwork

The center portion of the castle street is the original street constructed in 800 AD.
Footwear Shoe Photograph Leg White

The oldest building in Edinburgh is inside the castle walls. St. Margret's Chapel was built about 1130.
Cloud Sky Building Travel Wall

A lion, especially a red one, on it's hind legs is a national symbol of Scotland. The Latin words underneath, loosely translated, say, "What you do to us we'll do to you." They haven't been able to back it up.
Daytime Photograph Light Building Architecture

To be continued:

Day four:
Our first rainy day of our trip. We left Edinburgh and headed to world famous chocolatier, Iain Burnett's place of business near Pitlochry, Scotland. Called the Highlander Chocolatier by his peers, Mr. Burnett has won numerous awards in the chocolate world which doesn't revolve around Hershey's Milk Chocolate.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Car

We were met by one of his chocolatiers who presented each of us with a serving paper describing the chocolates and then placed 5 different chocolates in place. Our job was to guess what different flavors made up each piece. Patsy was able to pick out three I believe but I just enjoyed the chocolate.
Font Jewel case Material property Circle Magenta

After we tasted / ate all 5 samples, we were allowed inside the gift shop, I guess that surprised you, so he could sell us a bunch of these delicious but expensive chocolate candies. In our money, each rectangle is about $3.
Food Natural foods Whole food Public space Retail

Food Rectangle Wood Cuisine Flooring

Font Rectangle Party supply Packaging and labeling Event

Brown Rectangle Font Material property Packaging and labeling

Font Rectangle Event Publication Paper

We left the chocolatier poorer than when we arrived and ate lunch in Pitlochry at a place called Hettie's Tea room. I finally ordered an Irn Bru soft drink. It's Scotland's most poplar soft drink, outselling Coke by a lot. I ordered the diet version because our guide said the regular version has the equilvalent of 8 teaspoons of sugar per bottle. It taste like an orange Sundrop, which is probably a southern soft drink and not nationally known by most of you.
Liquid Drinkware Bottle Ingredient Fluid

I got some kind of ham and some kind of cheese sandwich with these trimmings. The fries made Patsy frown and she said my heart doctor was as well. But they were very good.
Food Tableware Table Ingredient Bottle

Hettie's Tea Room, a local mom and pop place.
Sky Cloud Window Building Road surface

Another thing to mention, almost everything you buy, including those expensive chocolates above, has a 20% VAT or Value Added Tax applied. We fuss around Moulton about a 9% sales tax!

Day 5 coming up.

The bus stop is a half mile from the hotel but an easy walk thru a beautiful area of the property. You tell the bus driver where you are going to get off and he will charge you accordingly. For a trip of 7 miles it cost the two of us $6.79. Of course they use the Pound Sterling in the UK but that's what the transfer rate figured out to be.
That's wild. It seems simple at a glance. I can't imagine what that would be like for public transportation here in the states. There's a stop at the hospital near me. I just looked and that route has 65 stops. The "job training" leaves me shaking my head a bit.

What's the flag on the castle?

What's the deal with the "Six Original Bottles" of Scotch? Was that their bottom shelf?
The Union Jack flag probably because there is still an active military presence in the castle. But I'm not sure.

It's the first six bottles the Brazilian collector bought to start his collection which eventually ended up over 3000 bottles. They made sure in the demo we understood nothing in this collection was "bottom shelf."

We're in a 44 passenger bus but with only 30 people besides the driver and guide. We have assigned seats that rotate daily so no one is stuck at the front or back each day. With the extra room, several forego their seats and simply sit in an unassigned seat. The bus has comfortable seats and big windows although they are convex shape so it's hard to take a good picture through them without getting a reflection.

We visited Blair Castle yesterday and I ran out of picture space in yesterday's report so I'll include it before starting on day 5.

Blair Castle is a huge castle transformed into a modern home. It has an interesting history as you can imagine. Note the cannon pointed at the castle. Two brothers joined the English side during a conflict and actually seiged their father's castle, after he had passed. The only damage done before they were pulled away was a cannon ball to a rafter, which is on display inside.
Cloud Wheel Sky Plant Cannon

Blair castle has a most extraordinary collection of long guns but they are all mounted high on the wall so it's hard to see them.
Brown Wood Symmetry Pattern Ceiling

And there are dozens of them throughout the house. The bottom one in this picture was interesting but no one there knew anything about it.
Brown Wood Gold Font Wall

Day Five:

We started our journey at 7:45 a.m. It was earlier than the past few days but our trip involved a lot of riding today. It was sprinkling rain as we boarded the bus.
The remnants of the castle where the famous photograph of Nessie was taken. We didn't have an appointment booked so we couldn't stop at the castle ruins so we were given a photo op from this vantage point.
Sky Water Cloud Water resources Mountain

Loch Ness, which means Lake Ness. Patsy got a glimpse of Nessie as did a few of the other ladies. None of the men saw the sea monster.
Water Sky Eye Reptile Azure

Eilean Donan castle in the background. The parking attendant told our driver they were at their limit and we couldn't turn in there so he chose a suitable vantage point for some pictures. (I married well above my pay grade.)
Sky Water Cloud Plant Mountain

We left there for the Isle of Skye and if you are a McDonald or kin to some, they ruled the roost here.
Building World Font House Adaptation

And what it looks like today.
Sky Property Cloud Window Building

We drove onto a ferry here, leaving the Isle of Skye to continue our journey.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Water Mode of transport Automotive tire

The ferry ride was less than an hour and we spent the night in Dunblane at a fancy looking hotel.
More coming:

Day 5 continued:

I don't know if all tour groups do them but CIE had several not-on-the-itinerary stops along our scheduled route. This was one of them. Our guide bought a couple of bags of carrots and we stopped to feed these Coos as they called them. Apparently most of our group had not grown up on a farm and this was the best thing we'd done so far. I'm glad they enjoyed the stop, we did too.
Cloud Sky Working animal Fence Split-rail fence

Our abode for the night, the Hilton Dublane Hydro Hotel.
Cloud Plant Sky Building Natural landscape

They had umbrellas for rent, but with the wind they are not very useful. Or for me they wouldn't be.
Light Fluid Gadget Audio equipment Gas

Our first stop of day 6 was Stirling Castle. One of the better castles we visited. It, like most, is situated on the highest point around for defense. Our guide said the peasants who lived below would have to look up and see the King was closer to God than they were and thus reverence him accordingly. Mary Queen of Scots was born here in 1541 and became Queen at 6 days old after her dad, King James V, died. Her mom carried her to France when a nobleman offered her, while still a baby, his hand in marriage to gain access to the throne. Mary returned as a 16 year old to claim her throne and reigned until 1567.
Sky Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle Car

2.5 miles away is the Wallace Memorial rising above the town of Stirling. Wallace won a major battle near here using the river and Robert The Bruce followed these same tactics years later to gain another victory and claim the Scottish throne.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Highland

Leaf Wood Organism Vegetation Font

Wood Bicycle tire Automotive tire Road surface Motor vehicle

This island, Ailsha Craig, is famous for what it produces. See the explanation below please.
Cloud Water Sky Highland Coastal and oceanic landforms

Font Commemorative plaque Road surface Asphalt Public utility

Bear with me, just half way through.

Day 7:

There are sheep everywhere in Scotland and Ireland. Our guide said they import the mutton they eat and use their sheep for the wool.
Green Nature Plant Sheep Land lot

There are very few stop signs at intersections, the majority of them use what they call roundabouts. There will be a sign similar to this at each intersection on the main roads. Note also the warning sign that the speed camera is watching. If you are caught by a camera speeding, it takes a picture of your tag, which over here is on the front and back on the vehicle. No personalized tags allowed. Once your picture is taken, you'll get a ticket within a week to ten days.
Cloud Sky Street light Road surface Asphalt

We leave Scotland via a ferry to reach the Ireland part of our tour, landing in Belfast, Northern Ireland almost 3 hours after boarding. This ferry is as large as a cruise ship and has everything a cruise ship has, even a casino. A sign said it would hold 660 passenger vehicles and 110 trucks or buses. As we were checking in on the bus, our driver warned us sometimes security will pull random people off the bus, check them and ask to see their luggage. Guess who two of the five were, yep, Patsy and I.
Rectangle Font Signage Road surface Asphalt

We and our luggage made it through security check without a problem. It was the first time I've been frisked by a law officer since I was 16 or 17.

Here is a view of the ferry unloading. There are three levels for vehicles and each vehicle facing us in this picture is driving off. It took an hour to unload and another hour to load. The trip across to Belfast was a smooth ride.
Cloud Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Tire

Our hotel for our two night stay in Belfast. The most bombed hotel in the world according to our guide. He said during the Troubles, as they call their civil unrest from 1968 to 1998, this is where the world wide journalist covering the stories would stay. Both sides of the unrest set off small explosions inside this hotel numerous times to get the journalist's attention.
Car Skyscraper Building Sky Vehicle

Our view from the 8th floor. Please take note of the Crown Bar in the bottom of the photo for a later explanation.
Building Sky Window Skyscraper Car

Because of the bombings, they redesigned the elevator system to help with safety. You approach one of four screens like this, select your floor number, and it will show you which elevator to use, A, B or C. Once you get in the correct elevator, your room is already selected for you, wait for the door to close and then get off on your floor. It changed with each trip up or down.
Gadget Television set Computer monitor accessory Display device Multimedia

Gadget Material property Font Display device Clock

Our morning was spent riding the bus around the Ard's Pensilur, something neither one of us enjoyed. We were told we'd have about 5 hours to walk around Belfast before our evening entertainment but our drive occured during morning rush hour. We were stuck in traffic for over 90 minutes and the same thing happened on our way back to Belfast during lunch hour. As it turns out the three pubs plus shopping we were going to visit had to be reduced to one pub as we only had 90 minutes of the 5 hours left. Bummer, our only disapointment, if you can call it that, of the trip.
But what you see is our first Guinness of the trip, in fact Patsy's very first, waiting to be topped off.
Lighting Barware Interior design Wood City

We found a table, ordered a sticky toffee pudding and enjoyed ourselves. Well, truthfully, Patsy enjoyed the Sticky toffee pudding but not the Guinness. Guess which one is mine?
Tableware Food Table Dishware Drinkware

Correct, they both were after she didn't like hers and wouldn't order anything else.

Day 7 continued:

After two pints, as they call them, a mandatory stop for me at the used beer depository.
Plumbing fixture Bathroom Flooring Automotive design Household supply

Departing the Crown Bar. It's been in business since 1826, in this location since 1849.
Outerwear Coat Interior design Jacket Picture frame

Window Building Sky Urban design Facade

After we had freshened up and Patsy had rinsed her mouth after the Guinness, we headed on the bus for our evening entertainment. We saw several interesting structures enroute.
Water Water resources Plant Sky Tree

Sky Plant Cloud Building Tree

We finally made it to the CrossKey Inn, the oldest thatch roof pub in Ireland. The gentleman in the middle facing this way is the owner. He's explaining this pub was built in 1654, has low doors and someone will knock themselves out walking through if we're not careful.
Sky Building Window Thatching House

Wall Morning T-shirt Art Travel

There was a three person band inside that played Irish Folk Music for an hour while we enjoyed our complimentary drinks. Of course they push the Guinness but I chose Jack and Coke for Patsy and me. She said it was so much better than Guinness! I'm sure many will agree.
Glasses Smile Hairstyle Facial expression Vision care

Drinkware Tableware Liquid Barware Fluid

I forgot to add the coke to mine.
Drinkware Drink Fluid Tableware Tin

The music, food, drink and atmosphere was just great. This was a highlight of our trip.

A visit to the shipyard and museum where they built the Titanic in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

I enjoyed it very much but Patsy didn't. They went into great detail via video and displays on start to finish of building the giant ship. One of my favorite displays show an Irish shipyard worker saying, "The ship was alright when it left here. We turned an Irish ship over to an English captain with a Scottish navigator and you see what happened."

But it is a somber place as you can imagine but the history and story very interesting. I took over 200 pictures inside the museum so I'll just share a few. Here is the museum called Titanic Belfast.
Sky Building Daytime Plant Cloud

Brown Orange Font Event Publication

Font Publication Material property Book Poster

Font Circle Terrestrial plant Darkness Event

Font Darkness Terrestrial plant Science Circle

Font Happy Brand Graphics Publication

Triangle Art Creative arts Font Rectangle

Another picture showed the ship was empty when she took to the water. Only her metal skeleton was seen on the inside. Everything else was done after they launched her.
Font Tints and shades Wood Publication Metal

World Map Font Tints and shades Electric blue

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Event History

Titanic continued:

They had several computer type displays where you could search for people who may have been on board. I did a search for White and Hood, my family names.
Communication Device Gadget Font Mobile device Computer keyboard

Font Electric blue Circle Cloud Darkness

Space bar Font Gadget Computer keyboard Rectangle

Atmosphere Cloud Azure Air travel Font

We ate lunch while at the museum and everyone had told us to try a scone. They call it a scone but it's a biscuit like Patsy used to make until my heart doctor got involved. It was really good to eat a buttered biscuit and jelly again.
Food Liquid Bottle Ingredient Tableware

Font Darkness Event Brand History

Font Darkness History Brand Event

Font Darkness Event Terrestrial plant History

Font Multimedia Event Darkness Display device

And of course you exit through the gift shop.
Customer Shopping Retail Wheel City

Day 8 (I think):

We left Belfast and took a bus tour through the area where the British Government built, in some places, 30 and 40 feet high walls to separate the Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods. They were called Peace Walls because they helped curb the violence somewhat although it flared up and boiled over several times over a 30 year period.

I think our guide said around 3500 people were killed during the unrest. Of that 52% were civilians and of that number, 41% were between the age of 6 and 25. Just a terrible time for those communities.

Our guide told us that both sides had their extreme, radical groups who made it worse for everyone on both sides. He said the people of Ireland and especially Northern Ireland greatly appreciated the work President Clinton and Sen. George Mitchell did in negotiating the peace agreement between the two sides, maybe 3 sides if you count England, called the Good Friday Agreement.

Our guide said, "It didn't solve all the problems but it got us to stop killing each other." He gave us an opportunity to write something on the wall and supplied us a magic marker to do so. I moved down from where Patsy and this lady stopped.

Road surface Asphalt Sky Art Sidewalk

I couldn't think of something profound or witty to write. So I copped out and borrowed a phrase from John Lennon, 'Give Peace A Chance.'
Road surface Asphalt Font Grey Art

I returned to where Patsy had finished writing and here's what she wrote in orange letters.
Blue Road surface Asphalt Handwriting Automotive tire

We had not discussed what we would write and it turned out we both wrote the same thing! I hope that elevates me to Patsy's level instead of bringing her down to my level.

Our guide's dad was involved in the unrest and saved a couple of the rubber bullets the British army was firing at the protestors, including himself. He said they were designed to be shot into the ground in front of the protestors and let them ricochet up into the crowd. Instead, some of the soldiers panicked and shot straight into the crowd and killed several people.
Finger Cylinder Thumb Gas Nail

But he said both sides did the same thing and usually it was a tit for a tat. If a Catholic died, then the Catholics would kill a Protestant and vice versa.

Just an awful time for Northern Ireland and the surrounding area. But since the Good Friday Agreement, and things settled down, the economy has boomed. Tourist started arriving and haven't stopped. As the younger generation has come more into elected offices, the mindset has changed from Catholic way vs the Protestant way to how can we find a way to work together?

He noted that this new leadership had agreed to open more integrated schools where Catholic and Protestant attend school together. 90% of the schools are still segregated, by religion, not by race but they are making headway. Our guide said, over and over, "The Good Friday Agreement accomplished the main thing both sides wanted, we stopped killing each other." Good luck to them as they move forward.

We left Northern Ireland and entered the Republic of Ireland. That means we're no longer in the UK but in the nation of Ireland. We changed from the pound to the euro. Our dollar is worth 92 cents compared to one euro.
I noticed across Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland the traffic lights turn yellow while still on red. That's not like Alabama where they turn yellow from green. I noticed as well the bus driver started up on yellow as did other traffic.
Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport

I know there's lots of these out west, but there are thousands of them in Scotland and Ireland. With the wind they have, it should be a dependable means of producing electricity.
Sky Windmill Cloud Plant Wind farm

We have these in America as well.
Plant Sky Mountain Road surface Asphalt

We stopped here for a photo op of this island. See anything in this picture that makes you look twice?
Cloud Sky Water Plant Azure

Look now after I zoomed in.
Water Mountain Highland Coastal and oceanic landforms Terrain

And the explanation.
Natural landscape Font Landscape Terrestrial plant Plant

Bear with me please, more coming.

The National Dish of Scotland: Haggis.

Haggis is a big thing, a national dish, in Scotland. It's illegal in the US so that makes it that more attractive, I guess. We had it several times for breakfast while in Scotland but as a side item never the main course. I liked it. Here's a typical Scottish breakfast plate of mine. It varied from hotel to hotel but Haggis was always available. The Haggis is on the plate between the egg and fork. It taste like scrambled up souse meat to me but drier and better.
Food Tableware Fried egg Ingredient Plate

Our guide told us, "Haggis is the best dish in all of Scotland. It has lots of vitamins and minerals for a healthy diet. It's made from the heart, lung, and liver of a lamb, mixed with beef trimmings, onion, oats, special spices and salts. Our chefs pack it in a sheep's stomach and boil it for several hours until the texture is just right. I think you'll enjoy it."

Each place we tried it was about the same taste and color. It went well with eggs and other breakfast foods. When served as a main course, it is served with boiled turnips or mashed potatoes. I never tried it anytime but at breakfast time while in Scotland.

If you go to Scotland, it's one of those things you've got to try.

Day 9:

If you were a teenager in the late 60's or early 70's, Led Zeppelin was one of the big rock groups of that era. I bought the Houses of the Holy album after it came out in March of 1973 and Patsy and I wore it out listening to it. But to tie that in to this trip, you need to know that the cover photo showed 3 or 4 young naked kids climbing over a bunch of hexagon shaped rocks. There was no internet around my part of the world but Rolling Stone magazine noted the photo for the cover was made at The Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. It may have been somewhere on the album as well but I remember it from Rolling Stone.

As we looked at the album, I remember Patsy saying, "I hope we can see that someday." Well just over 51 years later we did just that, we saw and walked on the Giant's Causeway.
Glasses Sky Cloud Vision care Goggles

It was almost a mile walk downhill from the visitor center in a very strong wind and driving rain. There are two buses that run the route up and down but on this day, they required exact change, no credit cards. So that left us on foot.We headed toward our dream come true destination. It stopped raining about half way down but the wind never let up. But it was so worth it.
Water Bedrock Wood Landscape Formation

Cloud Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Watercourse

Sky Bedrock Cloud Landscape Building material

Cloud Water Sky Coastal and oceanic landforms Horizon

Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Grass Groundcover

Cloud Sky Bedrock Formation Wood

Water Sky Coastal and oceanic landforms Bedrock Terrain

We left the Causeway and turned around near the Dunluce Castle ruins. Part of the back side has already tumbled into the sea.
Sky Cloud Water Natural landscape Building

We spent the rest of the day traveling to Derry and enjoying the nice weather for a change. Spent the night in Letterkenny.

Three more days left.

Back
Top Bottom