| LIFE Our 50th Anniversary

Wayne. Tell me about the tipping.

Do you tip the tour guide?
The guide book the tour company furnished gave us guidelines on tipping. We were asked not to tip at any of the restaurants of the hotels where we stayed. Their tip was figured in the cost of our stay.

A tip of 7 Pounds per day was the suggested amount each for the driver and guide while in the UK. In Ireland it was 7 Euro per day for only the driver as the guide dropped out of the tour the last day of our UK segment.

So in the UK we tipped 7 pounds x 5.5 (days) each for the driver and the guide. In Ireland we tipped 7 Euro x 5.5 (days) for only the driver.

At the mom and pop places the guide book said to check with our server if a service charge would be added to the bill. At most places it is added and that takes the place of a tip as we know it in America. The service charge was usually between 12 and 15%.

When a service charge was not added we left a 20% tip and we were always thanked for doing so.

In the two walking tours we did with a local guide, the guide book suggested, and we followed the suggestion, a tip of 2 Euro per person. So 4 Euro for each of those two guides.

The guide book suggested we determine our tips for the guides and drivers ahead of time, place each of them in an envelope in the local currency with the person's name on it and present it to them at a convenient and appropriate time.

The guide book the tour company furnished gave us guidelines on tipping. We were asked not to tip at any of the restaurants of the hotels where we stayed. Their tip was figured in the cost of our stay.

A tip of 7 Pounds per day was the suggested amount each for the driver and guide while in the UK. In Ireland it was 7 Euro per day for only the driver as the guide dropped out of the tour the last day of our UK segment.

So in the UK we tipped 7 pounds x 5.5 (days) each for the driver and the guide. In Ireland we tipped 7 Euro x 5.5 (days) for only the driver.

At the mom and pop places the guide book said to check with our server if a service charge would be added to the bill. At most places it is added and that takes the place of a tip as we know it in America. The service charge was usually between 12 and 15%.

When a service charge was not added we left a 20% tip and we were always thanked for doing so.

In the two walking tours we did with a local guide, the guide book suggested, and we followed the suggestion, a tip of 2 Euro per person. So 4 Euro for each of those two guides.

The guide book suggested we determine our tips for the guides and drivers ahead of time, place each of them in an envelope in the local currency with the person's name on it and present it to them at a convenient and appropriate time.
The guy that owns the ghost tour bit here has offered $90 a tour, two tours a night, plus tips. Hard to believe those guys/guys are pulling a grand a week.

Walking.

Did you know there was a "Foodie Tour?" The guy that is the GM for Juanita Greenberg's tell's me they start at $250 a day plus ... just weird to me. I've never even thought about those guys.

I can "spin a yarn" like no other...makes that kind of gig tempting, just for the hell of it.
I have a friend, a retired coach from Georgia high schools, moved to Charleston and did a few historical tours, just for fun, for a guy he knew years back. Now he's back coaching.

Back
Top Bottom