| FOOD Is this the answer to the great chicken sandwich debate of 2019? Chick-Fil-A vs Popeye's.

TerryP

Staff
For the record, I have never eaten a Popeyes chicken sandwich. I have eaten their biscuit.
It's been at least 10 years since I've eaten a Chick-Fil-A sandwich.
I don't think I've eaten fast food this year. Maybe a Firehouse sub in the winter. Maybe.

1566483417137.png

My first thought, who gets more business... I was pretty sure I knew the answer based on what I see with my eyes driving past both.

Let me put it into terms from 2018 revenue: $269m vs $10.5B (which fewer stores).

NUFF SAID I'm really not a fan of either...but I've had more Chick-fil-a than I've had Popeyes in my lifetime.

The number of Popeyes locations throughout the world tops 4,000, with 3,000 of those in the United States alone. Its revenue in 2016 was $269 million.

Chick-fil-A isn't too far behind with more than 2,300 locations throughout The United States and Canada. Meanwhile, its revenue in 2018 was $10.5 billion - almost twice that of Popeyes plus its siblings under RBI

My first thought, who gets more business... I was pretty sure I knew the answer based on what I see with my eyes driving past both.
There are two that I drive by frequently. One now has three drive through lanes, the other two. The latter is at the entrance to a Lowe's I frequent. The other day, roughly 2:30-3:00 had more than 30 cars in line. There were two order takers that were six or seven cars from the window. There were two cashiers, outside, about two cars from the window. From the time the light turned red to green I saw two cars move from order to pickup and on their way out: roughly two minutes, maybe.

One thing is for certain. Based on my limited experience Chick-Fil-A is hands down the best at service.

There are two that I drive by frequently. One now has three drive through lanes, the other two. The latter is at the entrance to a Lowe's I frequent. The other day, roughly 2:30-3:00 had more than 30 cars in line. There were two order takers that were six or seven cars from the window. There were two cashiers, outside, about two cars from the window. From the time the light turned red to green I saw two cars move from order to pickup and on their way out: roughly two minutes, maybe.

One thing is for certain. Based on my limited experience Chick-Fil-A is hands down the best at service.

That's how they gross $4 million a store, along with a growing catering side. For years, I was always willing to pay an extra buck or two at Chick-fil-A for someone to be polite, provide quick service and get my order right. I have a bit more of an inside perspective now. My wife is the marketing exec for a two-store operation near us, started about four years ago. As the operator told me, I came along as a package deal when she joined them, and I get thrown into things from time to time. Although I'd been pretty familiar with their community outreach efforts from the receiving side when I was a booster club president, now that I've had an inside look at how many intentional acts of kindness and community support occur in those stores each week, it's amazing. Most, by far, are never known to the public. A few become public because of social media exposure and sometimes TV coverage. Certainly a for-profit, and very profitable, company, but they make a difference in many ways.

In regard to service, interesting intersection a few weeks ago. I was meeting with an Atlanta bank CEO who is pretty active in social and community circles. He related an experience where the CEO of Ritz Carlton discussed their approach to customer service, going above and beyond and always exceeding customer expectations. He said they really try to model their customer interactions after Chick-fil-A. Later that same day, Dan Cathy visited the banker's church finance committee regarding a capital campaign, and the banker told Dan his story of Ritz seeking to emulate their customer experience. Dan laughed and said, "I guess we did something right, when Chick-fil-A was revamping our customer service program, we studied Ritz-Carlton". The "my pleasure", by the way, came from Ritz.

RTR,

Tim

I'm back in Texas, the wife and I went to our favorite Thai restaurant (it's a BYOB establishment). Passed by a Popeyes and there was easily 20 cars in the drive-thru last. They must have been giving out free samiches...

Man sues Popeyes for running out of chicken sandwiches

(Meredith) - A man said he suffered "emotional damage" while trying to track down the new Popeyes chicken sandwich. Now, he's suing the restaurant chain for $5,000.

Craig Barr, of Chattanooga, Tennessee, filed a civil lawsuit accusing Popeyes of false advertising and deceptive business practices, the Times Free Press reported.

He said he went to several locations last week and all of them were sold out of the wildly popular sandwich.

"Countless time wasted driving to and from Popeyes. No chicken sandwich. Was told to come back this day -- still no sandwich," the lawsuit states.

Barr claims he also suffered rim and tire damage while driving from location to location, and was humiliated when his friends laughed at him.

He said he was so desperate to try the new menu item that he responded to a Craigslist ad posted by someone who claimed to work at Popeyes and could sell him a sandwich for $25.

Barr claims he paid the person but never received his sandwich. The Craigslist ad is no longer online.

“I can’t get happy; I have this sandwich on my mind. I can’t think straight," Barr told the Times Free Press. “It just consumes you.”

Popeyes has not released a statement responding to the lawsuit.

Man sues Popeyes for running out of chicken sandwiches

(Meredith) - A man said he suffered "emotional damage" while trying to track down the new Popeyes chicken sandwich. Now, he's suing the restaurant chain for $5,000.

Craig Barr, of Chattanooga, Tennessee, filed a civil lawsuit accusing Popeyes of false advertising and deceptive business practices, the Times Free Press reported.

He said he went to several locations last week and all of them were sold out of the wildly popular sandwich.

"Countless time wasted driving to and from Popeyes. No chicken sandwich. Was told to come back this day -- still no sandwich," the lawsuit states.

Barr claims he also suffered rim and tire damage while driving from location to location, and was humiliated when his friends laughed at him.

He said he was so desperate to try the new menu item that he responded to a Craigslist ad posted by someone who claimed to work at Popeyes and could sell him a sandwich for $25.

Barr claims he paid the person but never received his sandwich. The Craigslist ad is no longer online.

“I can’t get happy; I have this sandwich on my mind. I can’t think straight," Barr told the Times Free Press. “It just consumes you.”

Popeyes has not released a statement responding to the lawsuit.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom