| LIFE In honor of the Tony Mitchell news, fastest you've ever driven in a vehicle?

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
I'll admit right up front, mine isn't very impressive.(I've never really had a fast car either, mostly trucks). I was the passenger in a Mustang a couple of times at about 125 on the Mobile Bayway back in the early 90's (at like 6 am on a weekend when there were hardly no other cars around). The fastest I can ever remember personally driving was maybe 110 on 280 between Phoenix City and auburn at about 2 am in 2001. I had just gotten a new F-150 and wanted to see how fast it went... was too scared of a ticket to do it for more than a few seconds. I think the speedometer topped out at 100, but it went a little faster. I know you guys have been faster than that... my money is on Tim having the RTB member land speed record.

Back in '86, I just turned 16. My dad bought me a '79 Caprice Classic, shit brown...Basically, he gave an idiot kid a tank. Smart thinking. Anyway, one Sunday morning, I skipped church and drove to the Galleria (I grew up in Center Point, which is now a DMZ...) to attend a baseball card show. Once I passed the 280 exit (heading north) on the way home, I hit 140. Thank goodness I was not popped. I probably would not have been allowed to drive again until I went to college a couple of years later.

I got up to 147/148 on I-59/20 about 25 years ago, because that's as fast as my car would go. The speedometer wasn't digital, but the right side of the stick(?) was just brushing 150.

Not in, but on...1980 Honda CB 650...around 125mph....jumped off Barney beach railroad trustle into the Black Warrior river...dont know what speed I reached but it was enough to wrap my swim trunks around my neck and shoot shit out my nose when I hit the water.:p

Pegged the speedometer in 3 different cars. They all had 130 as the top speed. So at LEAST that.

I had a chance to take a ride in the Pontiac Grand Prix Pace Car at Talladega, but I never did. Always regretted that.

Pegged the speedometer in 3 different cars. They all had 130 as the top speed. So at LEAST that.

I had a chance to take a ride in the Pontiac Grand Prix Pace Car at Talladega, but I never did. Always regretted that.

They do a fundraiser at Talladega every year (at least once a year, sometimes more), where you pay $50-100 or so and get a lap or two in your own vehicle. I may try it one day, would for sure do it if I lived closer... but I ain't doing it in my Tacoma. I'd have to go rent Tesla or something to make it worthwhile.

Buried the needle in my '66 Chevy II on I-20 headed to Six Flags, Summer of '83, with a 911 toying with me. At the GA rest stop, told me I hit 135. I don't know about that, I never saw any of that number. He said he did 140. It was great to be immortal back in the day.

On the roads - 125 in a ferrari just outside of Vegas, easy straight interstate
Off the roads - 195 mph on the Vegas Motor Speedway Track driving a suped up Shelby GT Mustang from the Shelby Museum. Long story short: We owned a business in vegas a lot of the people around the speedway loved to come visit us and often offered some fun things for free stuff.

I pegged out my 2017 Lexus GS 350 F-sport at 136 mph on I-565 between Madison and Huntsville AL. It was about 3 am and the roads were completely empty. I've since sold the car and got a Ford F-150.

Over 90 on I-10. I have never been pulled over for speeding. I'll typically go about 10 over most of the time however.

On another note, people in Alabama drive like they are on Talladega or they are pretending to be Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit.

1964 Chevy Malibu SS, with a Holley 4-Barrel and Hurst Lightning Rods I used to own (miss that damn car). Was close to 160 when the speedometer gave up the ghost (cable sheared). Thing never worked right again so we had to guess the speed from then out. On top of the gas gauge never working right it was a fun drive. Just fill her up and hope for the best. I sold it to someone who had the time and money to fix her up. Still wish I hadn't as the time and money came to me later.

Back
Top Bottom