| CURRENT EVENTS "Paranoia morphs into reality." A news report on the Idaho murders caught my attention.

TerryP

Staff
Okay, "paranoia" was used tongue in cheek. I think.

One of my best friends is anal about using credit cards; I don't blame him. He and his wife have one set aside that they use for online purchases, gas discounts/pay at the pump, etc. You know, in places where someone grabbing your card number is more likely than others.

Are they going overboard? Maybe, a little. But then again if they are, I am, because I use the same "strategy" with online purchases. In a sense I take some of it to an extreme.

I have a google phone number that I use when needed—very few have my phone number.

I have a separate gmail account I use when needed to cut out spam in my email. I have one for personal stuff and one for business as well.

Recently I was asked by a cashier to scan my drives license. "No, but you can see my birth date." Hell, there are purchases I make where I'll only pay cash—beer, liquor, cigarettes and the like.

I look at it as privacy.

When we first began to see genealogy advertisements and sites like Ancestry my response was "no 'effin way." I have a family tree, documented, going back centuries so I don't need one. But. The primary reason was "I don't want my DNA in a database."

(I'd love to know how many people had problems come up after they received their vax-card. There's a situation where name, address, etc. is going into another database that wasn't "private," per se'. The folks who were saying, "the government is just tracking you" had a bit of a point—they just received updated information from everyone who got the jab.)

Paranoid? Privacy? You're weighing that right now, aren't ya? 😈

Circling back to Idaho.

I caught a tweet with a link to this interview. What caught my attention was how this former FBI agent explained how they'll use these genealogy sites to track people—fake name, fake profile, etc. "We'll make up a person and see who pops; last name, etc."

There's something about that. It's just; "off." It's enlightening seeing how they'll use the need to "find out who you are" and in the end these people are registered with these DNA databases. Those that submit, that's not what they intended, I'm sure.

LEO's can lie to you during questioning. I guess they can build a case on the foundation of a lie? The ends justifies the means?

It's just weird.

You can do things to limit how and in what manner you're tracked, like not voluntarily providing a DNA sample to any entity, or providing a non-linked phone number. But you're tracked.

I have no problem with LE using publicly available databases to catch criminals. DNA is certainly a better method than looking through a phone book. I recall the scene from The Fugitive where they winnow down the number of potential subjects given a prosthesis. There a many instances where parents or close family recognize their relative is a criminal and, through a moral impulse, turn them in or convince them to turn themselves in. In this case, close or extended family have unwittingly done that with no morality considered.

One of my best friends is anal about using credit cards; I don't blame him. He and his wife have one set aside that they use for online purchases, gas discounts/pay at the pump, etc. You know, in places where someone grabbing your card number is more likely than others.

Are they going overboard? Maybe, a little. But then again if they are, I am, because I use the same "strategy" with online purchases. In a sense I take some of it to an extreme.
FYI, most tap to pay apps have the capability to create a virtual card number for payments and it is usually on by default. Sometimes they use tokenization and the card number is different most every time.

Credit card providers may also allow you to create a virtual number by merchant, so it will only work with that single merchant online.

Back
Top Bottom