| FTBL If Bill O'Brien takes the Nebraska job, who steps in as interim?

If Bill is hired by Nebraska, I would predict that at the end of his 3rd season his W/L record would be at/near the breakeven point.
I don't think he's a .500 coach at Nebraska; worse. And it's not due to his coaching ability; it's the climate that is college football.

I look at his staff and believe they wouldn't do well recruiting because he doesn't like the idea of dealing with the NIL's impact and then we have the transfer portals emergence as a "kicker." It's not that he can't recruit—he's better than Mullen—it's the recruiting environment.

I don't think he's a .500 coach at Nebraska; worse. And it's not due to his coaching ability; it's the climate that is college football.

I look at his staff and believe they wouldn't do well recruiting because he doesn't like the idea of dealing with the NIL's impact and then we have the transfer portals emergence as a "kicker." It's not that he can't recruit—he's better than Mullen—it's the recruiting environment.

I'm not aware of too many coaches who don't agree with that but they're still head coaches. But if he isn't ready to be a HC now, for whatever reason, that's his call.

I'm not aware of too many coaches who don't agree with that but they're still head coaches. But if he isn't ready to be a HC now, for whatever reason, that's his call.
We're at its infancy and we've already seen two SEC coaches step away: Luke and Mullen.

I think we'll agree there's a difference in "ready to be a head coach" and "wanting to be a head coach." I think that's especially true in O'Brien's case with the NFL possibilities that'll be around.

Who is on Bill O'Brien's staff at Nebraska?

It's quite a leap to project that O'Brien couldn't recruit well, or that he would have a staff that wouldn't recruit well. It's going to be a prerequisite for whoever gets the Nebraska job that they have top assistants and coordinators, and that they can leverage the top level NIL resources Nebraska has.

Who is on Bill O'Brien's staff at Nebraska?

It's quite a leap to project that O'Brien couldn't recruit well, or that he would have a staff that wouldn't recruit well. It's going to be a prerequisite for whoever gets the Nebraska job that they have top assistants and coordinators, and that they can leverage the top level NIL resources Nebraska has.
I should have said "envision his staff at Nebraska."

I never said he couldn't recruit well. And it is no leap for me to say he doesn't want to recruit in this era. It's also not a leap to say a man who is unhappy in his job isn't going to fare well.

@NickelDoubleDog on a bit of a related note. A few weeks ago several of us talked about which would be an easier rebuild, UT or UN, when it came to getting that team back on the national stage. NIL plays a part and it led me to to do a little digging on Nebraska.

They are a good example of how boosters will jump on an NIL deal and then back away. Over all (according to On3's evaluations,) their top five guys saw three getting better NIL deals this season: to the tune of $165. Their top two lost $750,000 versus last year.

UT, on the other hand, had four or five of their top 30 take a dip. I remember Tillman lost the most; 100K. I recall one with a 150K loss, another with a $3 loss. I found it interesting that a lot of the UT guys were between 59-61K—not a lot of disparity from the 15th ranked guy to the 30th.

...and there's another piece of useless info for today. 🙃

@NickelDoubleDog on a bit of a related note. A few weeks ago several of us talked about which would be an easier rebuild, UT or UN, when it came to getting that team back on the national stage. NIL plays a part and it led me to to do a little digging on Nebraska.

They are a good example of how boosters will jump on an NIL deal and then back away. Over all (according to On3's evaluations,) their top five guys saw three getting better NIL deals this season: to the tune of $165. Their top two lost $750,000 versus last year.

UT, on the other hand, had four or five of their top 30 take a dip. I remember Tillman lost the most; 100K. I recall one with a 150K loss, another with a $3 loss. I found it interesting that a lot of the UT guys were between 59-61K—not a lot of disparity from the 15th ranked guy to the 30th.

...and there's another piece of useless info for today. 🙃

Nebraska's NIL is being revamped as we speak. Previously it centered around a BS company one of Frost's buddies started. Just another example of Frost ruining the program while making himself and his cronies rich, while he didn't put in the work and drank a lot

I should have said "envision his staff at Nebraska."

I never said he couldn't recruit well. And it is no leap for me to say he doesn't want to recruit in this era. It's also not a leap to say a man who is unhappy in his job isn't going to fare well.

Who do you think he'd get for his staff? OC and DC?

I would imagine Bill being very happy to be HC at Nebraska, and that he'd take what he learned under Saban to put together a top notch staff full of recruiters.

But if he truly isn't into recruiting, he won't get that job.

Nebraska's NIL is being revamped as we speak. Previously it centered around a BS company one of Frost's buddies started. Just another example of Frost ruining the program while making himself and his cronies rich, while he didn't put in the work and drank a lot
I read a little about that recently. The author of the report didn't seem to think it would be a lot of money for those guys. I know the school is still working with Opendorse as they did in year one. Reports have Opendorse spending about a billion in the marketplace—not specifically with Nebraska in mind. (Opendorse handles 75K+ athletes.)

They opened a "Marketplace" for NIL deals earlier this year but so far it hasn't been as profitable based on the numbers reported.

Unless I've missed the news UN's agreement with Opendorse is still in effect.

Maaaaaannn... That guy set our offense back 2-3 years. I truly believe that the core of the Offenses problems is our OL performance over the last 2 years. If we didn't have Evan Neal last year, it would have been MUCH worse.

Hopefully, the OL can get it ironed out this weekend forward.
It's my opinion he expected more out of the guys than they were capable of delivering. I saw blocking schemes that would work with NFL guys on the line, but when you're developing those NFL guys you don't see consistency. A large part of what they were being asked to do (scheme) changed in the latter part of the season when it became a Pendry/Marrone combination.

A pretty soft landing for Marrone: coaching the line in New Orleans, I believe.

Thought it was worth considering if O'Brien accepts the job before season end, who would step in as replacement? I don't have a clue & thought I'd ask. Thoughts?
Nothing happens midseason like @OldPlayer stated. No staff to hire, only use those already there that you likely have no connection with at all. No install time for his offense and defense philosophy. Nebraska will ride out this season and then make a hire come December.

CFP!!! This years games may be closer more like last year but they will win a lot of games. Maybe drop one. Dropping one gets them in the CFP. The exception year would be losing more than one.

There is not a chance in hell Alabama makes it to the CFP. Personally, I hope we don't make it to the SEC Championship because I have no desire to see Georgia beat us by 30. Kirby ain't gonna call the dogs off either.

There is not a chance in hell Alabama makes it to the CFP. Personally, I hope we don't make it to the SEC Championship because I have no desire to see Georgia beat us by 30. Kirby ain't gonna call the dogs off either.

Let's see Kirby and the Dawgs play a team with a legit QB and skill players first. FYI, his track record isn't good at UGA when he does face those offenses (other than the NC game when Alabama lost their 2 elite WRs and were playing with backups, if you want to count that).

I read a little about that recently. The author of the report didn't seem to think it would be a lot of money for those guys. I know the school is still working with Opendorse as they did in year one. Reports have Opendorse spending about a billion in the marketplace—not specifically with Nebraska in mind. (Opendorse handles 75K+ athletes.)

They opened a "Marketplace" for NIL deals earlier this year but so far it hasn't been as profitable based on the numbers reported.

Unless I've missed the news UN's agreement with Opendorse is still in effect.

Opendorse is still there. Founder is a former Nebraska player.

A new NIL collective for Nebraska was introduced last week.

A new NIL collective for Nebraska was introduced last week.
I read a little about that recently. The author of the report didn't seem to think it would be a lot of money for those guys
Right. They've partnered up with Opendorse: Big Red Collective, maybe? I can't recall what it was called. I assume few know the true inner workings. I do know they're starting out partnered with three charities—the idea being it allows the donations to be tax deductible while the athletes receive their compensation.

This new collective is their fourth.

I read a little about their approach in an article a few days ago. Maybe out of Omaha? It mentions which three charities pointing out that one was founded by Osborne. I can't remember the other two.

As a comparison for those who haven't read about this approach, it would be like Alabama asking boosters to donate to Nick's Kids and the Stallings Center.

Oh yeah, one of them helps cover medical cost for former in-state Nebraska letterman.

Back
Top Bottom